Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, you have to remember that BMW riders ride around sunk in anger and despair over what it is costing them to keep their machines serviced and running. So let your heart go out to them... :beat-up:

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Well, you have to remember that BMW riders ride around sunk in anger and despair over what it is costing them to keep their machines serviced and running. So let your heart go out to them... :beat-up:
reminds me of an old joke. lemme see if i can remember it right...

Motorcycle Riders and How They Wave:

Newbs release their death grip on the grips, wave, then go back to the death grip so fast you can't see it.

Jap cruiser riders wave at everyone because they are just so damned happy to be riding.

Jap sport bike riders don't wave at anyone because they own the road and everyone else should just get off.

Harley riders are too busy looking behind for dropped parts to notice anyone else.

Victory riders are too proud not being Harley riders to notice other bikers.

BMW riders don't wave because, well, you just aren't worthy.

Gold Wing riders try to wave, but by the time they put down their coffee, put out their cigarette, set the autopilot, and come up from the lounge cabin, it's too late.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
What bike a person rides...and wears while riding their choice of bike...in the end...only affects that rider.

Everyone else has the option to either support the rider...or offend the rider.

Which course of action will we choose?

...That answer..will determine the character and quality of a person. Regardless of their form of transportation.

"Don't judge...just ride."-Buskman, Lifetime Premium Member, VulcanForums.Com

·
Registered
119 Posts
What bike a person rides...and wears while riding their choice of bike...in the end...only affects that rider.

Everyone else has the option to either support the rider...or offend the rider.

Which course of action will we choose?

...That answer..will determine the character and quality of a person. Regardless of their form of transportation.

"Don't judge...just ride."-Buskman, Lifetime Premium Member, VulcanForums.Com
AMEN to that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ha, well here's my response to the slagger.
I spend a lot of time lurking around Adv riders, for the most part these guys ride tremendous amounts of miles each year, they mostly ride low displacement high mileage bikes and they definitely wear all the gear, perhaps ask the guy how many miles he's ridden this year... Usually no helmet/open face helmet/jeans/tshirt/ stupid high handlebars/stupid riding position/stupid loud = quick dehydration and few miles a year = not really much of a rider after all = not really worth listening to..

Anyways, suit yourself life's short..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Right! I have a friend who rode a Beemer. Bike was 3 years old and a front wheel bearing went. Took 3 months to get the part. I wish I could remember what it cost him, but remember he was pissed. After it was repaired he sold the bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When i first started out I was on a ninja 300, went on a group ride people asked what it was, as soon as i said a 300 they laughed asked me why i didn't get a real bike. while on the ride on the freeway they blasted n left me behind, caught up a few moments later couple of them got pulled over, but hey they were on real bikes right

·
Registered
212 Posts
I get the same looks from other riders when I'm on my Xmax 300 scooter, and the same thing happens: they can get some distance on me in the straightaway, but when the turns come I'm all over them.

I also enjoy the advantage of not having my panties in a wad about what somebody else is riding... :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
i have a friend that got skooled by a scooter on the tail of the dragon. we will NEVER let him live that down! :devil2:

·
Registered
487 Posts
My neighbors are both ATGATT and they ride Harley.
I stopped into my Local Harley dealer a couple of weeks ago wearing my White Vulcan shirt with bright red KAWASAKI running down the sleeve. Sales man approached me and told me he could offer me a different shirt. I told him "Nah mines made in America all of yours come from China." He left me alone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Scooters

"I have a friend that got skooled by a scooter on the tail of the dragon. We will NEVER let him live that down!" Quote Sabre-T:

I had a Yamaha 500 TMax maxi scooter which went like a rocket and handled like a sportsbike. It would see off many bikes away from the lights, around the twisties, and still touch 100 mph on the freeway. :smile2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
These maxi-scoots are like a best kept secret, aren't they? People find the image off-putting so they never try one. Big mistake, in many ways they are a better mousetrap for comfort, utility and performance.

Twist-and-go belt CVT frees up a lot of mind space for awareness and anticipation of what is happening around you, which is a marked safety factor. That's no joke.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
These maxi-scoots are like a best kept secret, aren't they? People find the image off-putting so they never try one. Big mistake, in many ways they are a better mousetrap for comfort, utility and performance.

Twist-and-go belt CVT frees up a lot of mind space for awareness and anticipation of what is happening around you, which is a marked safety factor. That's no joke.
I'm not putting down the scooter, but for me, the manual transmission is at least half of why I ride. I don't even enjoy driving a car with an automatic. But then, I've never a turn-key driver so it's difficult for me to wrap my head around it. Similarly, I'm not interested in 3 wheelers; Can Am or Trike, I like the two wheel motion. That said, I never put anybody down for their choice of ride. Although those Beemers... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
"I have a friend that got skooled by a scooter on the tail of the dragon. We will NEVER let him live that down!" Quote Sabre-T:

I had a Yamaha 500 TMax maxi scooter which went like a rocket and handled like a sportsbike. It would see off many bikes away from the lights, around the twisties, and still touch 100 mph on the freeway. :smile2:
i've seen a lot of scooters tear up twisties, but ya gotta take advantage of every opportunity to rib some friends! :devil2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
....I'm not putting down the scooter, but for me, the manual transmission is at least half of why I ride. )
I always felt strongly the same way, Steve. But I got curious and I tested a NC700 with DCT and then the Xmax 300. Turned out for me it was different and very cool... a smooth, liquid, sweeping sort of riding. The energy management task of riding is the same as with a manual, but the focus goes to handling and braking, and more time to absorb the riding environment and risks.

Power delivery is like using the thrust lever on a jet aircraft. You anticipate and apply acceleration sense very finely.

Honda's DCT works well, it is very clever, but it is complex and expensive with a high part count and an extra electric/hydraulic feedback system for sensing and changing gear. The NC700's DCT transmission is 20lbs heavier than the manual.

By comparison, scooter style belt CVT with its constantly changing front and rear pulley sizes is stupidly simple and brilliant, lightweight & inexpensive to mfgr., and entirely user serviceable. It's a transmission you can rebuild yourself in an hour. And a high performance maxi-scooter is hella fun to ride.

Like you I ride a Vulcan 900 and I love the old school aspect of it. But I am a missionary for scootering now as well. When I get too old to manage the Vulcan's weight and the smooth operation of the controls (for me, a day coming soon enough), I will still be flying around on the scooter, grinning like a fool. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had two pretty close friends die riding their bikes since I bought MY bike three weeks ago. One guy died last week when he was hit by a truck. Other literally died this morning when he was ejected from his bike. That second guy was the friend I bought my bike from. Before I even got on that bike, I drove to the local cycle shop and bought a riding jacket with armor, and a new helmet because my old one was over 6 years old. I'm not even sure I can even ride this bike anymore.

Wisconsin does not require anyone to wear any gear at all. T shirt, shorts and sunglasses are the norm. I can't do it. Not even when I was younger and rode. I have a wife and a 2 year old son that I need to be here for.

Anyway, I have noticed that most of the people I see without any gear at all are Harley riders, but this is Wisconsin, MOST people are Harley riders. I won't give someone shit for not wearing gear (unless they are family and now friends) but I can't help but sigh when I see people who don't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't handle the weight of the Vulcan 900 any longer (I'm 76). So, I put a Lehman Trike Kit on it, and I still get the thrill of riding a larger bike. I did the conversion myself, and it rides well, corners like a wet dream, and it is unlikely to ever fall over.

I just got my auto/motorcycle license renewed for another 4 years. I ride whenever the weather permits ( a little rain, etc. doesn't stop me, it has to be coming down un buckets). The only time i drive my cage is if I have passengers, or need to load in more than the bike can hold.

I've been riding since 1961, and I'm not about to stop now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
People will be people; I had to fill up for the first time on the new bike on Friday. HD guy pulled up at the pump behind me and I got a fist bump from him. Told him it was my first fill up as a new rider and he was nothing but supportive and excited for me. To paraphrase basically "Welcome to the addiction!" and he was in full gear like I was.

It is your life, you do what makes you feel comfortable -- I for one will always be full gear.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts