Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Greetings HighwayNine, I'm not sure if its progressive or not, but definitely more smooth over the speed humps in the neighborhood.

Yes that control on the back is for convenient preload adjustment, backed off it is set for my weight and I just have to turn it up for if i am using the large panniers or taking a pillion.

According to my suspension guy its not a problem having the one control for rebound / compression for on road use.

He said its really only useful going 9/10ths on the track or 10/10ths on the road.

Regards ... PendDraig

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cheers! Sounds great.

I'm glad to hear it already feels better. And as Drifter just said there must be plenty of riders here who would love to hear your thoughts after more miles down the road (and also including us "youngsters"!)

Good luck with your ongoing mods too - hopefully the path is a little less dark and lonely thanks to this forum:wink2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear shock is just omg :)

Let me tell you my experience with Vulcan s. My weight is about 75kg, so I guess I'm not that heavy. I find the rear suspension simply annoying. Every road bump gives you discomfort. I tried all pre load settings on the rear shock. Its still quite bad. Makes you jump from the seat a lot too. I especially got annoyed with that issue after I got another bike and experienced the difference. I dont want to be too negative, but every bike/scooter I tried is better in that department.
The bike looks good, powerful, but I would not recommend it to anyone for that particular reason. I wish there was a clear way to improve that though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I inquired at my dealer when I picked up my new KVS what the setting was on the rear shock. They told me 2 was the factory default. I inquired with my weight of about 190 lbs. if I should try a different setting and they recommended leaving it at 2. So far it seems good for me, not too stiff and not bottoming out either. :) - Randy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let me tell you my experience with Vulcan s. My weight is about 75kg, so I guess I'm not that heavy. I find the rear suspension simply annoying. Every road bump gives you discomfort. I tried all pre load settings on the rear shock. Its still quite bad. Makes you jump from the seat a lot too. I especially got annoyed with that issue after I got another bike and experienced the difference. I dont want to be too negative, but every bike/scooter I tried is better in that department.
The bike looks good, powerful, but I would not recommend it to anyone for that particular reason. I wish there was a clear way to improve that though.
Hey be negative if you like, gotta tell it like it is! Just wondering, was the Vulcan S your first bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mate if you are in NSW we should ride together. Last trip I went on was from Wilberforce to Singleton and back. Its an awesome ride.

If your seat is uncomfortable , i suggest getting a really great pair of riding jeans. The kevlar in the butt and knee area really cushions the seat.
I tried that but found riding on my knees was too hard for long distances.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am really interested in changing my rear shock with a more adjustable unit. Added ground clearance would be nice too. I do a lot of touring with the bike loaded and it bottoms out frequently, sometimes jarring my back severely. From what I gather on this forum, there is no replacement shock available at least here in the US. Is that correct? I frequently spend all day on the bike with mileage between 250 and 350 miles a day. Very comfortable on smooth two lane roads, but not so much on bumpy paved back roads.

Is there any solution for an aftermarket rear shock?

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I'm just wondering , if putting the Wild Hair Accessory lowering kit on and then mounting a longer shock for more travel would work and keep the seat height the same while improving the ride. They say that the Hagon will work. I am in NC and can actually ride to Cogent Dynamics so I may see what they say. I have used these guys before when I did trackdays.
http://www.whaccessories.com/images/Lowering-Kit-Vulcan-650-S.JPG

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rear shock is just omg :)

Eat more food and drink more beer! :cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I love this bike, I've had it since 2015 butt I'm tired of the spinal smashing of pot holes and bumps. I'm at the point of trading in for a W800 if I cannot find a smoother rear ride for this bike. Are there any updates to this thread? The bike has been out for 6+ years now and there are always threads about the rear suspension. I'm surprised Kawasaki hasn't done anything yet, or maybe in Japan they have nice smooth roads????

·
Registered
6 Posts
A few threads down recently someone posted This
Bumped into the Hyperpro option for the Vulcan S by accident while searching for other accessories.
I know Hyperpro from the Dakar race, where they service most of the contestants, also at FIA GT1 and at the paddock for other races.

With their experience and reputation, it'd be my best bet for a good replacement. On my shortlist for after the seat's replaced.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm just wondering , if putting the Wild Hair Accessory lowering kit on and then mounting a longer shock for more travel would work and keep the seat height the same while improving the ride. They say that the Hagon will work. I am in NC and can actually ride to Cogent Dynamics so I may see what they say. I have used these guys before when I did trackdays.
http://www.whaccessories.com/images/Lowering-Kit-Vulcan-650-S.JPG
View attachment 239812
Really interested in what cogent could offer. I bought their products for my DR650 was very happy

61 - 75 of 75 Posts