Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spoke to Matthew at Ohlins Shocks. They do not currently make one for our bikes but would consider doing so if enough of us call and request they do so. The number is 800-336-9029. Please call even if you don't want one yourself.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
They won't make them if there aren't enough potential buyers and from what I have read on the blog and experienced they won't have them on their shelves for long.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So are there any new updates? Has anyone tried a shock off another bike or changed springs etc to get a better less back breaking ride?

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Would they have to make a new shock or just figure out which shock that they already make fits ??

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Or a shock off a GSXR or Ninja or......

I would have thought after being on the market for several years and so many complaints about the rough ride someone would have figured out a fix or work around?

I have swapped shocks from different bikes in the past but they had twin shocks easier to do and a larger selection to choose from!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the pegs at the shortest reach, to give me better control, minimising forward control

My modified seat does allow me to move around a bit - I did nearly 3 hours on Sunday Dungog to Narrabee (208 klms), Sydney Sunday afternoon traffic yeuk!
Mate if you are in NSW we should ride together. Last trip I went on was from Wilberforce to Singleton and back. Its an awesome ride.

If your seat is uncomfortable , i suggest getting a really great pair of riding jeans. The kevlar in the butt and knee area really cushions the seat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Greetings All, Courier just dropped off a present I got for the Vulcan S............

Hopefully the Sprint air filter will arrive in the next week or two so I can book the baby in for the following:

Fit the Hagon Shock (it was purchased through WRS in Italy Part No: M64072)
Upgrade the front forks
Fit the Sprint air filter
Reflash the ECU
Dyno tune the bike.

Will update on the handling once fitted.

Regards .. PendDraig

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Greetings All, Courier just dropped off a present I got for the Vulcan S............

Hopefully the Sprint air filter will arrive in the next week or two so I can book the baby in for the following:

Fit the Hagon Shock (it was purchased through WRS in Italy Part No: M64072)
Upgrade the front forks
Fit the Sprint air filter
Reflash the ECU
Dyno tune the bike.

Will update on the handling once fitted.

Regards .. PendDraig
Wow! That's nice. Give us an update on how that goes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Me too, and I'd also be curious whether the added ground clearance changes the aesthetics much.

Having read through this thread and other posts on the suspension topic, am I right in my understanding that the suspension issues are mostly affecting heavier riders and/or rides on bumpier roads? I'm only about 160lbs without gear and luggage so on the lighter side - how might somebody like me expect the "firm" ride of the KVS to feel over the miles on a normal road trip (with most comfy preload)?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Me too, and I'd also be curious whether the added ground clearance changes the aesthetics much.

Having read through this thread and other posts on the suspension topic, am I right in my understanding that the suspension issues are mostly affecting heavier riders and/or rides on bumpier roads? I'm only about 160lbs without gear and luggage so on the lighter side - how might somebody like me expect the "firm" ride of the KVS to feel over the miles on a normal road trip (with most comfy preload)?
For your weight, like myself, all settings will seem jarring to some extent. I had it set at 4 to try it out and it rag dolled me out of the saddle. So, I set it back to 2. The rear suspension on this bike is not like other cushy cruisers at all. It's more "Sport" oriented. That's the way it is. My Vulcan 800 Classic ride is like a Cadillac, compared to it. The only real fix, if you want that type of ride, would be to change that shock/spring assembly to something more adjustable and/or give it more suspension travel (if that's even possible) or get a different bike, like the Vulcan 900.
The thing I found most with the KVS is that people buy it and try to turn it into something it's not by throwing a pile of money at it. When in fact, what they should have done, is bought a different bike to meet their needs. And yes, they could have afforded it. Just add up all the items people have added and the money spent. The bike is what it is for the price. If I were a person who does long highway treks and/or carries a lot of baggage and pillion all the time, I would not recommend this bike. That's not to say it can't or hasn't been done, the question then is why?

·
Registered
114 Posts
For your weight, like myself, all settings will seem jarring to some extent. I had it set at 4 to try it out and it rag dolled me out of the saddle. So, I set it back to 2. The rear suspension on this bike is not like other cushy cruisers at all. It's more "Sport" oriented. That's the way it is. My Vulcan 800 Classic ride is like a Cadillac, compared to it. The only real fix, if you want that type of ride, would be to change that shock/spring assembly to something more adjustable and/or give it more suspension travel (if that's even possible) or get a different bike, like the Vulcan 900.
Many thanks for that. I personally like the sporty edge of the KVS in both looks and handling compared with a more traditional cruiser, and I don't think I'll mind 'feeling the road' more. Just a bit wary of pushing my comfort tolerances too far. I guess it's mostly subjective in the end?

Reactions: VulcanHead

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Many thanks for that. I personally like the sporty edge of the KVS in both looks and handling compared with a more traditional cruiser, and I don't think I'll mind 'feeling the road' more. Just a bit wary of pushing my comfort tolerances too far. I guess it's mostly subjective in the end?
I think that's what draws people to it a lot. The look.
It's a nice bike but sporty.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The thing I found most with the KVS is that people buy it and try to turn it into something it's not by throwing a pile of money at it. When in fact, what they should have done, is bought a different bike to meet their needs. And yes, they could have afforded it. Just add up all the items people have added and the money spent. The bike is what it is for the price. If I were a person who does long highway treks and/or carries a lot of baggage and pillion all the time, I would not recommend this bike.
And thanks for that too (missed the edit while typing). I've thought about that point you make a lot. It certainly makes a lot sense, although I'd hazard a guess that sometimes it's not so easy to weigh up the pros and cons between different bikes. Where there's a gain there's often a loss somewhere else. There's so many things I like about the KVS that I just haven't found on other bikes. But I'll certainly keep my options open before blindly following my KVS dream. Only fools rush in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not yet. The sprint air filter is due this week and the Cruise Control (MCCruise) is booked for next week.
Hopefully the shock, forks and ECU will be done the following week.

regards .. PendDraig

·
Registered
37 Posts
New Update on Shock:

Had a couple of hours spare today so fitted the Hagon Shock. There is only about 5mm difference in the physical shock length and didn't feel any height difference sitting on the beast...

First impressions on just taking it around the neighborhood a couple of times testing over the speed humps it is very compliant, with less of a shock to the spine.

Hopefully will get more time to try it out this week...

Just been emailed my Racetech gold emulators will be in this week, so some work on the front forks are coming..

PendDraig

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm pretty new to all this - is the spring progressive on these Hagons? The "pitch" looks constant like a linear spring but I've read that they're progressive - how?

I'm curious to learn whether they might make for a more enjoyable ride in any case. Not that they might transform the KVS into a Goldwing but whether it's money well spent. I'll look out for any further reports - cheers.

Also, is that mounted device in your pics the preload adjustor? If so, is it just for added convenience over the standard collar? And I've read that there's only a single adjustor for compression and rebound as they are "on the same circuit with automatic balance". Is that a limitation/consideration? Ah so many questions...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Those spring coils look to be smaller in diameter? That would make for a softer ride!

Light weight folks find the ride to be harsh as well not just the heaver people that bottom out.

Maybe this shock is what is needed for the Oldsters with bad backs!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts