Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looking forward to it. This will help out a lot of DIY guys on rebuilding shocks. Me included.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Skan
Sure, good luck. It is relatively easy and well worth it. Transformed the bike.
Thanks for all the follow up. I have now seen the process. Basically stripping down a 2012 900 with 6,000 and going through it. I decided to jump when you printed this so i got the shock. A little heavy road dirt so may have some miles. Im not sure i am going to rebuild it unless instructions make it too good no to. So, I am thinking about setting the adjustment for damping toward the harder side to make up for old oil and the speed it would operate at or am i way off on this. I think one setting has a 5 turns out adj. and 4 on the other . Im 240 so i was going to move toward 2 out from closed. i have to mess with the spring too. I figure is the shock goes south, it can be rebuilt
Thanks again

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Skandix -

How did you address the difference in bushing in the top shock mounting eye? The ZX14 shock has a bushing for a 10mm bolt, the VN uses a 12mm bolt. I am also finding a few more tidbits. The the OD of the ZX14 bushing is about 22mm, while the VN looks to be 23mm. That's why I was having issues trying to use the VN bushing in the ZX shock body. I have a new VN bushing coming even though I found some rubber bushings that would work. If they don't, I am going to ream out the shock eye to accept the VN bushing. This mod is a bit more involved than I was thinking, but I should have everything back up and rolling by Saturday.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The upper bushing I left it alone. I used the stock ZX bushing and bolt. I originally had concerns that it would move because of what you have also discovered,, but after tightening to torque specs. It stayed solid. I have put on about 500 miles since the mod and the upper bolt has not moved. I was going to drill out the sleeve, but found no reason to do so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Kosmo
Your welcome. I weight 190 pounds. Spring is set near 6.75 inches compressed. It's really something you have to play with, but just 1 click of the Compression/rebound does make a big difference i found. You might have gone with the C14/Concours shock. Heavier bike and spring. Also less modding to do. ZX14 Shock plants the rear tire, like a sport bike it was intended to and so much smoother. Enjoy

21 - 25 of 25 Posts