Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turns out that the ZX14 shock is the same length and dimensions of the stock 900.
Fitment requirements::
Need to delete a mounting bracket on the 900 that gets in the way.
Shave down the Boss of the ZX14 Shock
Make a lower sleeve for the shock, or Drill out fitting.
Cost of shock $50, and 1 hour of time.
Benefits,
Rides and handles 70% better.
You have Compression, rebound and infinite Spring Adjustment.
Comparable to a Ohlins setup. Very smooth, plush and predictable

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part# I do not have. But any zx14 shock without remote adjuster will work.
Pics to come.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember that this shock was designed to perform from 1 up to 180mph. And it does easily on the 900.
What you will notice is how the forks are not up to par. Time for Racetech gold valves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
NIce Skandix! This is an upgrade I'm gonna make soon. I have been looking for a better rear shock.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So how difficult is getting to the lock rings to adjust the spring preload? The compression (I'm assuming compression) adjuster looks easy enough to get to, but what about rebound? As a side note, has anyone ever reworked the valving in the stock shock? I have done quite a few different mx shocks so this wouldn't be too big of a challenge.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rebound and compression are both easy to get to. Spring preload is easier then stock to adjust. The shock is nitrogen filled so no decavation after 45 min of riding on rough roads.
If you could rebuild the ZX14 shock please post method.:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rebuilding shocks isn't really rocket science, but correct valving can be. The ZX shock swap is interesting, I am curious on the spring rate difference between the two. Something to dig into when I have some free time before riding season.

Edit - This swap sounds too interesting to pass up. I purchased a shock from a 2012 ZX from ebay, should be here in a week. Once I get it, I will document a basic rebuild and possibly internally lowering it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am curious how this shock rides with 2 Up riding. What is the weight specs for the ZX14R shock? Can it be adjusted down for one rider and up for 2?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gosupes you will not be disappointed. I did the swap because I wanted a better performing shock. My stock shock did not need rebuilding.
Now the spring rate is almost the same as the ZX14. The shocks themselves are the same length c to c.
pasorj20 I was going to go with the Connie C14 shock, but it has no compression setting nor is Nitrogen filled. Also has a remote spring adjuster. The Connie is also 50+ pounds heavier then my Vulcan. The Connie C14 shock would have been easier of an install, but for me I would have had to go with a lighter spring. C14 better for 2 up riding. That is my guess. Zx14 can be adjusted for 2 up riding.
gosupes, curious why you would want to shorten the shock. I think that would be cool, but you will lose compression stroke and change the spring tension. Better to get a lowering link.

·
Registered
231 Posts
gosupes you will not be disappointed. I did the swap because I wanted a better performing shock. My stock shock did not need rebuilding.
Now the spring rate is almost the same as the ZX14. The shocks themselves are the same length c to c.
pasorj20 I was going to go with the Connie C14 shock, but it has no compression setting nor is Nitrogen filled. Also has a remote spring adjuster. The Connie is also 50+ pounds heavier then my Vulcan. The Connie C14 shock would have been easier of an install, but for me I would have had to go with a lighter spring. C14 better for 2 up riding. That is my guess. Zx14 can be adjusted for 2 up riding.
gosupes, curious why you would want to shorten the shock. I think that would be cool, but you will lose compression stroke and change the spring tension. Better to get a lowering link.
Actually when you shorten the stroke internally, there is less downside than a lowing link. You set the sag the same as you normally would, the spring rate remains the same, so does the bump stop. With links, you are changing the fulcrum point for the linkage and under full compression, in some cases, the tire can impact the fender. Not sure if the swingarm can travel that far in Vulcans, but the way I see it, an internal spacer is $25 and I can always remove it. I had a link on my YZ450F, I ended up removing it and lowered the suspension internally, night and day difference over the link alone.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree, lowering the link effects the fulcrum. In which can affect wheel impact. Shortening the stroke will affect preload.
The ZX14 suspension is already designed to use as little stroke as possible to dampen at all speeds. It uses larger pistons from what I have been told. Basically moves more fluid in shorter distance.
Very curious to see what is inside. Looking forward to your write up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Turns out that the ZX14 shock is the same length and dimensions of the stock 900.
Fitment requirements::
Need to delete a mounting bracket on the 900 that gets in the way.
Shave down the Boss of the ZX14 Shock
Make a lower sleeve for the shock, or Drill out fitting.
Cost of shock $50, and 1 hour of time.
Benefits,
Rides and handles 70% better.
You have Compression, rebound and infinite Spring Adjustment.
Comparable to a Ohlins setup. Very smooth, plush and predictable
Skandix,
when you said remove a bracket. What is that bracket for? when you said shave down the boss meaning the mounting end?
And then Making a lower sleeve or drill out fitting ? can you elaborate. I can handle most mechanical. just trying get a picture,
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kosmo, on my 07 there is a bracket on the right side, were the bladder of the shock would sit. I looked to see what this bracket is for or was for and nothing showed up for its purpose. So no need for it and off it went, it is square shaped.
The Upper Boss that supports the Bladder. It is in the way with the Shock mount arm. For example, a zx10 had that portion removed. That is why i had no issue in shaving it down. You will see when you do this mod.
The ZX14 shock mounting bolts are smaller, so you have to either create a sleeve to use zx14 bolt or drill out the lower shock mounting boss to take the 900 larger bolt. The upper bolt I. left alone because there was no play when torqued to specs.
I hope this helped. I didn't intend to have this thread as a DIY. But a general finding.
Did you get a ZX14 shock?
A shot of the shock bladder mounted facing the battery box. I did this as a first test to see if there would be issues with travel or sag. You can not mount it this way because the Bladder would hit the swing arm. Plus a new Battery Box would have to be made.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Scandix
I really appreciate the reply. It makes sense now. I did buy a shock that was listed and looked in excellent condition with low miles on eBay.
Thanks again bud
Kosmo

·
Registered
231 Posts
I received my eBay ZX14 shock today and began the teardown and rebuild. I will start another thread to keep things from being too confusing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts