Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There used to be some dyno tuning near me, but they closed shop. I just sent it to Ivan's, he seems to get some good reviews. I'm pretty old school, grew up setting the dwell on points ignition and got pretty good tweaking carbs. I don't have enough room left in my melon for learning FI mapping. Plus the Vulcan is all of 50-ish HP and I'm just interested in getting rid of the occasional lean popping, The Cobra tuner helped, but it's still lean at WOT with the occasional exhaust pop.

I though about the urethane bushings, I think I might have something close in size that was left over from an old 4x4 project. Being a garage pack rat is finally paying off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't despair, look here
You probably know about adjusting the setting. Green LED POT is your adjuster for popping. If you tried this already and had no success, then Ivans is the way to go. I have used his Carb kits in the past.
A reflash is used to tune in every gear with proper timing advance. You should feel better acceleration.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I actually kept a small flat screw driver under the seat. After I installed it, I found this nice empty stretch of farm land and would do test runs and make adjustments in between passes. I have it where is feels the best and minimizes popping and lean surging, but no matter what I did, it still felt a bit flat on the top, say anything past 65 or 70mph I even contacted Cobra at one time but they didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I realize it will never have the roll on power of a big sport bike or bigger twin, but I'm hoping to get just a little more out of her. A number of highways around here open up to 70 mph speed limit once you get out of the city, which means most people are doing 80-ish, I just want to keep up and not be a turtle in the slow lane.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting how the same bikes perform so differently. Mine wills rip into 70mph no issue. 70 and up still pulls hard. Gearing is the limiting factor for this lively little 900. Ivans will take you there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm hoping it will. I've already swapped both pulleys and that helped, just not enough.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So I finally got all the parts in for the shock rebuild. I won't go into the minute details as there are many you tube videos on the step by step details. On the kyb shocks, the shaft is peened to keep the nut on. This peened area is ground down during disassembly. During reassembly, a drop of red Loctite will keep the nut from backing off. Even though I had bought a seal kit, I also bought a seal head assembly for a 40/14 shock, probably made for a small mx bike, but so many parts interchange. This seal head is about 5mm taller than stock, which is fine as I was shooting for about a 10mm drop. The shim stack went back on exactly as it came off.

The first pic shows the taller seal head next to the stock one. You can see the height difference.

The second pic is the shaft and valving assembled. Don't forget to slide the bumper and cap on. In addition to the taller seal head, I added about 5mm of lowering shims from Race Tech suspensions. Between the seal head and washers, it's about 11mm total difference from stock.

The last pic, I lined up the shock eyes on one end and tried to show the difference in length. The stock eye to eye length was about 12 7/8", the new length is about 12 3/8". It may not sound like much, but I will guess it will come out to somewhere between 1 to maybe a 2 inch drop. I wish I would have measured the height before I started.

Got it filled and bled the air out. Ran it through the full stroke and I'm not hearing any air. Pressurized the bladder with a hand pump for now, but will have it filled with nitrogen tomorrow. It's a bit cold in the garage to try and repaint the body, will get that done tomorrow as well. I should be ready to roll by the weekend.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well it's in. There are a couple of points of interest that I will detail later. It's noticably lower, feels like a little more than an inch, and I still have to set the spring sag. I also received my ecu back from Ivan. No time to ride today, but she did fire right up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm what one would call inseam challenged. The seat is low enough, but the bike is just wide enough where being flat footed really depends on where you place your feet. Now, I am flat footed in a nice relaxed position. I am really curious on the ride quality, but that's going to have to wait as we might see some snow this weekend.

I think going with the smaller bolt on the top eye probably helps on installation, it gave you a little wiggle room. I had drilled out the bushing I made to fit the 12mm bolt pretty snug. This made getting the top bolt in a pain. Then there was that small random tab welded to the frame that needed to be removed to keep it from contacting the shock body. But, it's done and I am looking forward to getting some seat time in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sunday should hit 52F in Illinois. Looking good. Feels great when you Altra mod something and it works even better than expected. Enjoy!
Right now, I would enjoy the hell out of anything over 50. We have had one day without rain this month.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Rolled the bike out and blew the dust off after the shock mod and install. Definitely looks a bit lower. It was nice and sunny today, but no time for a test ride. Anyway, I think it was a worthwhile mod even if I made it harder than it should have been.

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts