Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Guys,
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but I tried installing a 2017 Kawasaki z650 speedometer on my 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S SE and it works!
I've had it for about 2 weeks now.
Plug and play, bolts right in, but there are a few minor drawbacks.
1: The neutral indicator doesn't work.
Not only does the gear indicator show blank when you're in neutral, the green neutral light is on all the time, regardless of what gear you're in.
If you turn your brights on, the neutral light will turn off. Lol.
Also the neutral light will get brighter and dimmer as your rev your engine. Don't ask me why.
2: The bright indicator will illuminate when you press the engine start button, but not when you turn your brights on.
3: The temperature gauge works! Which is awesome because the stock Vulcan S speedometer does not.
However, the temp is a notch above the middle at normal temp and a notch below the hottest when the fan kicks on.
This was alarming at first, but I've ran it in stop and go downtown Dallas traffic in 90 plus degree weather everyday for two weeks and it never gets to the hottest notch.
The fan will cut on at the notch below the hottest and get it back down to the "normal" temp, which is a notch above the middle. (As seen in the first pic.)
I'm thinking the z650 is designed to run a tad cooler than the Vulcan S, so the temp gauge is a little off.
The check engine light will come on until you start the bike, but that is by design after watching some youtube videos on the z650. (They all do it.)
And the ABS light will come on until you start rolling, but we're used to that because the stock Vulcan S speedometer was the same.
Otherwise, everything appears to be working.
The speed seems accurate, the RPM's seem accurate, all gears display on the gear shift indicator aside from Neutral, which shows blank, so it's easy to get used to that.
The mileage will carry over from the z650, but I lucked out and found one very close to mine, and waited until mine matched until I swapped them so the mileage would stay true.
What do you guys think! I love it and don't mind these minor draw backs enough to switch back.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is plug and play in the since that it mounted right on and plugged right in without any modification.

It is working aside from the neutral indicator and the bright indicator.

I like it, and am keeping it, just thought I'd share. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys. I thought the community on this forum would be nicer than this. But this is the internet after all. Should have known. :)

I never said it was an upgrade, I just said I swapped it out, I like it, and am reporting the quirks.

I think it looks much better and the neutral indicator and bright indicator do not matter to me, so I'm keeping it.

The only "upgrade" would be the temperature gauge, but that is a little quirky too, so take that as you will.

I understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea and respect your decision to keep the stock model instead.

Maybe I'll take the post down and leave it up to the next curious forum member to try it out blind like I did.

Sorry if you guys don't find this helpful at all. I just thought it was neat and wanted to share.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry guys. I thought the community on this forum would be nicer than this. But this is the internet after all. Should have known. :)

I never said it was an upgrade, I just said I swapped it out, I like it, and am reporting the quirks.

I think it looks much better and the neutral indicator and bright indicator do not matter to me, so I'm keeping it.

The only "upgrade" would be the temperature gauge, but that is a little quirky too, so take that as you will.

I understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea and respect your decision to keep the stock model instead.

Maybe I'll take the post down and leave it up to the next curious forum member to try it out blind like I did.

Sorry if you guys don't find this helpful at all. I just thought it was neat and wanted to share.
I don't think you should take it so hard, these guys probably still admire your creativeness and it's always interesting to see the different strokes for different folks. I enjoyed it anyway 0:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don’t get me wrong; it’s a better looking unit and if you like it, that’s all that matters. I’m just saying, plug and play is when it works. A neutral indicator is kind of valuable, which is why every motorcycle has one. I’d also be curious as to whether the engine warning lights work as they should.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice work - I'm glad you explored this.

Not only does the gear indicator show blank when you're in neutral, the green neutral light is on all the time, regardless of what gear you're in.
Also the neutral light will get brighter and dimmer as your rev your engine. Don't ask me why.
This could probably be solved with a multi meter testing voltage changes on different wires when the neutral is on/off. Might be nice to have a z650 as well so you could check voltage on that as well and re-wire the connector to make it work. OR you might be able to suss it with a couple wiring diagrams for each bike.

2: The bright indicator will illuminate when you press the engine start button, but not when you turn your brights on.
Same as the neutral indicator - i bet you could get this working.

3: The temperature gauge works! Which is awesome because the stock Vulcan S speedometer does not.
This is pretty awesome. I wish I had a temp gauge on the Vulcan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good Morning Guys,
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but I tried installing a 2017 Kawasaki z650 speedometer on my 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S SE and it works!
I've had it for about 2 weeks now.
Plug and play, bolts right in, but there are a few minor drawbacks.
However, the temp is a notch above the middle at normal temp and a notch below the hottest when the fan kicks on.
This was alarming at first, but I've ran it in stop and go downtown Dallas traffic in 90 plus degree weather everyday for two weeks and it never gets to the hottest notch.
The fan will cut on at the notch below the hottest and get it back down to the "normal" temp, which is a notch above the middle. (As seen in the first pic.)
I'm thinking the z650 is designed to run a tad cooler than the Vulcan S, so the temp gauge is a little off.
The check engine light will come on until you start the bike, but that is by design after watching some youtube videos on the z650. (They all do it.)
And the ABS light will come on until you start rolling, but we're used to that because the stock Vulcan S speedometer was the same.
Otherwise, everything appears to be working.
The speed seems accurate, the RPM's seem accurate, all gears display on the gear shift indicator aside from Neutral, which shows blank, so it's easy to get used to that.
The mileage will carry over from the z650, but I lucked out and found one very close to mine, and waited until mine matched until I swapped them so the mileage would stay true.
What do you guys think! I love it and don't mind these minor draw backs enough to switch back.
I think it is pretty cool, a temp gauge (even if slightly off) would be real nice to have. I've always wondered if I could put a cluster from a 2017+ on my 2016 so I could have the gear indicator but have never been able to find a post about it. Your post makes me think there is a good chance it would work! Now I may have the guts to give it a try at some point and report what I find. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Actually this is being nice

I did look at your bike pics. Really liked the appearance of the Matt Grecko headlight. But this is not the Kumbaya site. I didn't feel that anyone was offensive in their comments, Oh well:nerd:. The "plug and play" was a misnomer. The concept and execution was interesting. And if we all wanted the same bike it would be boring. The rider you disagree with today may be the rider whose post you "like" tomorrow. I did want to know how you Liked the Matt Grecko. Also what exhaust is that and how loud is it. I went from stock to a Danmoto ( loved it but LOUD) to a Arrow Rebel which I really love but SO LONG. Ride Safe

·
Registered
897 Posts
Looks really nice on the Vulcan S. Would have been nice to have that cluster from the factory.
You could probably fix those issues with a multimeter and switching out a couple of connector pins. I'd look there first. The only thing you didn't have before was the temperature and that works, so the connections are there for everything else you need.
I gotta say though, if I were in the market for a used bike, I wouldn't touch one with a swapped out cluster. That's the one thing I don't like.
As for somebody wondering about the gear indicator in the newer Vulcan S bikes,
I would have liked to have the integrated gear indicator on my 2015, it was just a cheap out, money making scam on Kawasaki's part, but they've also changed the speed sensor setup on the bike for 2017-up, so I can't say for 100% that just adding the cluster from a 2018-up would work. I'd like to see somebody try it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like the idea and outside the box thinking! Mr. Pibbs is right in time you probably could get the kinks worked out! I put 80s Suzuki wheels on a 2000s 500, it was a learning process just like your project!

What was your main reason for doing the switch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Sorry for being so sensitive earlier. This is my first thread. Wasn't sure what to expect.

A neutral indicator is kind of valuable, which is why every motorcycle has one. I’d also be curious as to whether the engine warning lights work as they should.
I agree. The neutral light is valuable and I'd prefer that it works. But, it doesn't bother me that it doesn't. The gear indicator will show blank when in neutral, so blank = neutral now. Easy to get used to, but not for everyone. Good point on the warning lights. Didn't think about that. Wonder how I might test such a thing.

I did want to know how you Liked the Matt Grecko.
Love the Matt Gecko LED! It's MUCH brighter and looks great. It was a pain to install, as you have to take the original housing off the old light and install it to the new one. But it wasn't too hard. The price is tough, but I really liked the look of it and it added to my black/orange contrast, so I don't regret it one bit. Would have been so much cheaper to go with a circular headlight, but I like the teardrop shape and felt like my Vulcan wouldn't look like a Vulcan anymore if I went with a circular light.

I do wish there was an option to only run the daytime running light during the day though. But that is a Vulcan S issue, not the light itself. When you turn the key, but don't start the engine, the daytime running light will come on by itself. On this light, the daytime running light is an LED Halo, which looks great! However, when you start the bike the actual headlight turns on whether you want it to or not. Still looks fantastic, but I'd rather just have the halo on during the day and run the actual headlight manually using a switch at night.

Also what exhaust is that and how loud is it.
I went with a Two Brothers Racing Exhaust. It sounds amazing and is very loud. If you're looking for quiet, this is not the one. for you.

I gotta say though, if I were in the market for a used bike, I wouldn't touch one with a swapped out cluster. That's the one thing I don't like.
I agree with you there. I did mine in an honest way, but you still have to take my word for it at the end of the day.

What was your main reason for doing the switch?
Honestly, I test drove a z650 at a Kawasaki demo and just loved the look of the speedometer. It just looks more modern to me and I like the blacked out look. Goes with my black and orange contrast. I couldn't help but notice it was the exact same shape as the Vulcan S cluster. I checked the specs on the z650 and the rear tire was the same size, the pins looked identical, the connector looked identical. I searched around and couldn't find any evidence that it would work at all, but I found a used one online with a little more mileage that what I had at the time, so I decided to order and make the switch when my mileage matched the new speedometer. No regrets. I love it and definitely plan to try and fix the neutral indicator and bright indicator if I can. But if not, it's not a big enough deal to me to switch back. My friends and I joke that the green N that is always on stands for Nice. When I switch my brights on, it turns off, so that's not so nice. Haha!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm fine with the stock headlight (with an LED H4 bulb) and the look, but I sure wish it had that LED halo from the factory as the "city light". That would have been sweet!

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
why yes

I'm fine with the stock headlight (with an LED H4 bulb) and the look, but I sure wish it had that LED halo from the factory as the "city light". That would have been sweet!
Yes it would, I saw a similar light on a Jeep where the Halo was Green. Now that I might have to pay $350 for..:devil2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts