Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 VN2000 with 900 miles, the bike I hardly use it because on no time. Lately when i start up the bike once a month to warm it up i have hear a noise coming oil pan section on the bike and it also has kind of a missfire in idle and sometime it will shutoff because it can't stay in idle for long.....I called the dealer and they said I have to change the valve on the motor...that this is comon on these bike...:(...please help me...thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 VN2000 with 900 miles, the bike I hardly use it because on no time. Lately when i start up the bike once a month to warm it up i have hear a noise coming oil pan section on the bike and it also has kind of a missfire in idle and sometime it will shutoff because it can't stay in idle for long.....I called the dealer and they said I have to change the valve on the motor...that this is comon on these bike...:(...please help me...thanks
Where y'all from?:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
More detail about the kind of noise would be nice . What "valve" is the stealer talking about ? With 900 miles you shouldn't have to fix anything since it's not a Harley ! My guess is that you're hearing ticking from the valves (not from the pan) b/c the hydraulic lifters don't have enough time to pump up with oil . And it's not idling b/c your battery is probably too weak and needs to be charged . Hope this helps .

·
Registered
100 Posts
A lifter noise was my first guess too. Mine did that this past spring, it scared the hell out of me until I figured out what it was makin the noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys for the quick reply, let me explain. The bike is hardly used I put a new battery and it still does stay idle it missfire and I have changed the plugs...you think the injectors are clogged??the noise is when you put it in gear and you tap the throttle it sounds like metal.. 'm thinking the gears or the clutch..

·
Registered
100 Posts
It was a dry lifter. Normally a lifter will be full of oil, but when an engine sits for a while, like you say yours has, it will dry out. When that happens, the engine will make a ticking sound when its running. It will go away once the lifter becomes "full" again.

Does your bike make the noise all the time? Or is it only in gear? If you rev the engine up, does the noise get faster?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My guess is that you're worrying too much . I suppose an engine problem is possible at 900 miles , but highly unlikely . Make sure the amount of oil in the engine is at least adequate , warm up the bike for 5 minutes and go for a nice long ride to see if the problems clear up . No way the injectors are clogged already !

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're not going to ride it but want to store it for a while you should first add some fuel stabilizer, seafoam works well. Then take it out for 20 miles just to get the seafoam through the injectors. When you get back change the oil and install a battery tender and top off the fuel. If you are not going for a ride that will last more than 20 minutes don't use it. An engine that young should not be broken in just by letting it idle in a garage. Also, idle doesn't create enough charge to keep the battery happy and it's just barely enough to get oil through all the parts it needs to get to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
900 miles on an 05 is not many, and quite frankly just firing it up once a month doesn't do it any favors either.

You need to at least get the engine warmed up good once a month to keep oil in all the places its supposed to be, get some fuel through the system, etc..

Had similar issue with Wife's new bike. Previous owner had no time to ride but fired it up for a few minutes every month. The poor thing just needed a good 10 minute ride to clean out the carbon, warm it up, and get the oil flowing.

Make sure you don't have 'bad gas' either. Have you been using some sort of stabilizer in your fuel tank?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi folks, mine - 06 V2K - did that my first spring after winterizing it and then firing it up for an opening ride, and I was "oh crap that doesn't sound good". My dealer who rides the same thing, told me about the dry lifters, and after the third or fourth start up and putz about town on the non-iced roads... rare in March in Alberta... the noise dissipated. It should go away but if it doesn't would get it looked at. Starting once a month won't be enough to properly lube the system. I've not worried about it since, and the last few springs start-ups have been considerably quieter. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts