Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK boyz and girlz.... What are your planned Summer (July, Aug, and lets throw in September) road trips that actually take you away from your home town/city/berg.

By the way, gas here has gone from $4.19 to $3.34 this week. Week of 25 - 29 June

1. When are you going and for how long...
2. Where are you going and approx miles round trip..
3. How many are going...

For me....

Although we normally have several trips planned during this time annually, we are not doing them this year. We are taking our first load of "stuff" to our new house in Corsicana Texas this weekend...

·
BOTM Winner, August/2012
201 Posts
9 day trip in Sept (first chance for long trip) from OKC to Colorado for 3 days then Zion natl park to grand canyon, then a night each in NM then TX and finally back to OKC. Going camping next weekend in TX right near ok/ar border. About 2900 miles on the nine day and not sure for next weekend but probably ~400 miles. All trips are by myself.

Sent from my Incredibly large, but without the calling ability, iPhone

·
Registered
312 Posts

Early August

West from northern Indiana. Spending a couple days in and around Sturgis, then heading west to Yellowstone / Tetons areas, then into Denver, then back to IN. Expecting to be about 10 days, and 4000 miles

3. How many are going...

4-5 in Sturgis, probably just 2 of us heading west from there

I am beyond pumped, never been west let alone riding

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi if you think you' re getting pumped now wait till you get to the Rocky Mtns.Traveling from Cody WY to Yellowstone is breath taking then toward the Grand Tetons to Jackson Hole. Be sure to take cold weather gear.we experienced sleet going into Yellowstone July 2, 2008 but not much of it. My brother, and I haven't decided where to go this fall. Have a great ride, and be safe!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Currently on day 6 of a 15 day trip. Started last Friday from a cool Portland OR. took 3 days to get to Moab UT. Spent three HOT days in Moab. Took beatiful hwy12 to Bryce canyon yesterday Today went by the Cedar breaks and Zion park to a HOT St George UT. Rest of trip is going around Grand canyon, visiting a buddy in Kingman AZ. Then heading over to Cali to Seqoia Nat. Forest up to Yosemite, Reno,NV then back home to Portland. I'm running with a buddy with his HD road glide. So far other than the 100+deg heat it's been a great trip. Tip. I really wish I had got one of those GOPRO video cameras so much to get pics of I'm sure it's not safe holding my IPhone clicking off pics and taking video while I'm riding. :eek:

·
Registered
125 Posts
At 2000 mi now Total Milage should be close to 5000.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yea the ride from Georgia to Vegas in 08 is one i'll never forget and don't want too. From Vegas to Yellowstone was a huge difference in the temps. Don't know if I can wait till Sept or Oct to do a trip now.Yall about got me ready to put my riding britches on. Be safe.

·
Registered
636 Posts
ride

Me and my wife will be heading to miami in late august for her daughters graduation. We will run through the smokies on the way down and then head down the coast all the way to miami. Estimated mileage should be some where around 3000. We live in central il.

·
Registered
65 Posts
just got back from an 8 day trip from alberta canada down to the grand canyon, zion national park and bryce canyon were the main hightlights. put on just over 5000 kms (3000 miles)

·
Registered
434 Posts
OK boyz and girlz.... What are your planned Summer (July, Aug, and lets throw in September) road trips that actually take you away from your home town/city/berg.

By the way, gas here has gone from $4.19 to $3.34 this week. Week of 25 - 29 June

3. How many are going...

For me....

Although we normally have several trips planned during this time annually, we are not doing them this year. We are taking our first load of "stuff" to our new house in Corsicana Texas this weekend...
Aug 24 to Sept 3, I think a little over 3000 miles... three guys, bikes are my 1700 nomad, a Beamer 1200 GS, and a Beamer 1200 RT
canada trip 2012:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201282703342844096402.0004c01e072e808454c27&msa=0&ll=50.986099,-122.958984&spn=14.848853,43.286133

·
Registered
255 Posts
Four states my wife and I have not ridden to: Kansas, Washington State, Hawaii and Alaska. I get to knock off Kansas and Washington in about 3 weeks. Alaska and Hawaii will have to wait a few more years till I retire.
Riding the Classic and her Vulcan 500 from Tampa in about 3 weeks.
Our trips are loosely planned and kept strictly for relaxation and the ride, so maybe we get there, and maybe not.
Right now, that is the destination.
Leaving Mid-July for 3 weeks
Wife and I
Approx Miles: 6000 mi

·
Registered
439 Posts

:waving:planing to ride out to the Gaspe Bay. Leaving from Northern Ontario To Pembrooke(hwy148 is a treat Follows the Ottawa river.) then Into Quebec to Quebec City, the cross over to the South Shore then to Gaspe Bay. 3500 klis or so.:cross-fingered:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dewey...........

Is this your first time to Zion? We used to ride over to Moab twice a year from here. We would take 50 to 70 and do the freeway going as it was a little shorter and quicker.

HOWEVER coming back….

13 miles West of Green River we turn south on Highway 24 and ride the Devils Backbone, go right by the entrance of Bryce Canyon into the East entrance of Zion which takes you through the “tunnel” and the extreme hairpin turns just past the tunnel.

The Devils Backbone section (only a mile or so)is not for a scooter rider afraid of looking over the edge of the roadway and seeing nothing but air. There are a couple places where it is a sheer drop at both edges of the pavement at the same time and no guard rail. Then a little later some great bottom canyon roadway. We had two riders that had no problem going up the Backbone but would not drive going down the Backbone. And we would shuttle them and their scoots down the mountain.

Going from Green River to Zion on the normal interstate is 200 miles. Going through the Devils Backbone and some of the best canyon bottom riding there is will be 244 miles.

Gas will be no problem… unless you cannot go 100 miles on a tank.

After you turn on to 24 it will be 100 miles to Torrey. You will turn left off 24 onto 12 at Torrey (actually just East of Torrey).

From Torrey on 12 it is 64 miles to Escalante.

From Escalante to the entrance to Bryce Canyon (which you just drive on by) is 44 miles.

After you pass the Bryce Canyon entrance another 12 miles you will turn left onto 89.

Then go 39 miles and you will turn right onto 9 which will take you to the East entrance of Zion and the “tunnel” followed by the extreme hair pin turns section of roadway in Zion.

As I said.. gas will be no problem. It is 44 miles longer but it is a super scooter ride all the way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We just went through there yesterday WOW very beautiful just remember to take off your shades going through the tunnel. It was very slow and backed up at the tunnel. It was $12 per bike unless your older I suggest getting a senior pass for $10 and that gets you in to ANY national park in the country. On our way from Bryce Canyon we went up to Cedar Brakes National monument along the way hwy143 to 148 nice and cool up there at 10k ft then hwy 14 back to 89 then to Zion. Hwy 14 to Cedar city was closed to through traffic at hwy 148.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Mid July from NW Illinois to Loretto, Kentucky. From there to the Tail of the Dragon, then on to Nashville. Hopefully cross the Mississippi into Arkansas, and up through Missouri back home. Should be about 1500 miles...but you never know...it's about the journey. Only have 5 days, however.

Just my S.O. and myself on the VV.

Only our second road trip; made a loop of Lake Michigan last summer and we were hooked on touring with the Voyager...what a ride...

·
Registered
224 Posts
July 6 - 17

Loop to include... NY,VT,NH,ME,NB,NS close to 4k miles.

Link to Route

·
BOTM Winner, August/2012
201 Posts
Bubba...

Here is my trip, I will look at what you are saying and I will keep it in mind but I have only about 10 days experience in real mountainous hairpins so not sure of my confidence level. I will probably create a gps for that way and my original way since it is like day 5 of my trip so I will know better how I am feeling at that point.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts