Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the forum for a short time, on the Vulcan 500 side. I picked one up for a song to get back into riding. I didn't want to just jump on a bigger one after being off for about 15 years. I do like the 500 but not enough to praise it. As I'm 57 years old, my go fast days are behind me even though I do find myself twisting the throttle a little quick at times.
I know I'm ready to move up to a bigger and more long term bike. I know that what ever I buy will be with me for a long time, to at least keep my Boss Lady happy.
I've been looking at the 1700 Nomad but I'm finding it hard to justify spending $16000 , not to mention that the Boss Lady isn't too keen on that too. She's happy with her 500, at the moment. Plus the fact that too many riders have had a problem with stalling, that Kawasaki just now admittted to.
So now I've turned my attention to the 2000. I can get an '09 for $5000 less then the Nomad. Makes sense to me.
But I'd like to know what you like about yours, what you don't like, did you have to make many changes to make it comfortable, such as the seat or wind shield.
I have to say the one thing I liked about the Nomad was the cruise. I know I can get a throttle control but I've allso found out that a real cruise can be mounted. My Boss Lady travles all over the country for work, just last week she got back from Junction City, Ks. She was there for 3 weeks and I'd love to be able to ride out to see her.
Since Kawasaki seems to have stop building the 2000, how hard will it be to get parts?
Sorry for the long ramble, but since I'm looking to buy my last bike, possibly!, I want to be sure I'm making a good decision. Just to let everybody know, I'm been riding since I was 14, started out on a Honda 50cc that I had bored out. I ran 2 paper routes on a bicycle to pay for it and then used it to make my deliveries. I've been on Hondas, Suzuki, Yamaha ( loved the 360) and Kawasaki. Never had the desire to run a Harley. Too many problems and dang sure too expensive now.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any replys that you may have. Get out and ride, Watch out for the cages, seems like they have radar out for us.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hate giving opinions on what bike to buy, cuz if you end up not liking it, I'm the jerk. But here goes:

I bought my '06 V2K Classic LT when I was 57. I'm now 61 and I like it. When I first bought it I hated it. It was heavy, hard to handle and had a tendency to fall over at slow speeds. I've since learned to ride it and not dump it and I have done some mods to make it a more amiable ride.

If I knew then what I know now I probably would opt for a smaller bike. If you intend to buy a new Kawasaki your choices are now limited to the 1700 series or a 900. The 1700's aren't much lighter than the 2K and truthfully I don't know how they handle as I have never ridden one. Test drive seveal bikes in the range you are interested in and make the choice that YOU are happy with.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Old Bike Guy for getting back to me. I realize that the 2000 will be a little heavy at first. There is only 50 lbs. differance between the Nomad and the 2000. Not really enough to affect my choice. And since I'm not into trying top see how much I can drag my boards, I think it'll be fine.
I'm more interested in how you like yours, what changes you would have liked to see in between model years and what mods you have made to yours. other then the usual ones. Thanks.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I bought my V2K in February and now have nearly 21K miles on it so I guess you could say I really like mine. Yes, it's heavy as all get out and tough to handle at slow speeds sometimes. Having said all that, I wouldn't take for it now.

Mods: Cobra 2 into 1 pipes for the noise, Cobra FI2000 fuel controller, Ultimate Drivers seat and backrest and passenger seat, cup holder, video camera mount, tank bag, hand guards, lower wind deflectors, 3' risers on handlebars, LED turn signals, Auxiliary light bar on head light.

Almost got her like I want.

My recommendation:

Ride everything you can get your hands on and then YOU decide what fits you. DO NOT buy any bike just because someone recommends it. But what fits you and is comfortable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi TmMtnMan53,

I bought a 2006 V2K this summer and it does take a while to get used to it.
I'm slightly younger and am 5 '11" weighing in at 250 lbs. I got to test ride it at the Harley dealer I bought it at and was a bit overwelmed with the weight.
The power really sold me on the bike :D I put over 4000 miles on it since July and can't ride it enough! I had to get a Mustang seat the stock one didn't cut it at all. I have about 7000 miles on it now and will be getting new rubber this winter. Great bike in my opinion. If you could test one would be a good thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought my 06 last month. It only had 3K miles on it. I love it. It's heavy but that OK because it's got the power to haul that weight around. I'm okay with the stock seat so far but I may go to a Mustang seat. I added Kuryakyn grips and Throttle Boss. I have some highway pegs coming and a Speedo Healer and wide levers and a cruise control. I'd like to have some pullback risers but it doesn't look like they'd fit too well without hitting the speedo cover.....:confused:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've got an '06 Classic V2K that I've been happy with since day one. But I did have to make a few changes to make it comfortable for long distance rides such as a Russell Day Long seat, Phat II risers to bring the handlebars up and back some (BTW they do clear the speedo cover), crash bars with highway pegs, Ohlins shock and hard bags. Like yourself I planned to keep the bike for a long time so for me all these add-ons were worthwhile investments.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well here's my 2 cents worth. I bought my V2K this Spring and put on about 7500 miles even though we have had LOTS of rain here in Manitoba. I had a 1500 Goldwing before this and I find that my V2K handles better, and feels lighter than the 'Wing ever did. I like the power and the sound, mods I have are driving lights, engine guards and chaps, highway pegs, Brakeaway cruise control which works great, some chrome bling, kuryakyn luggage and a taller sissy bar for my wife's back. To complete my package I still need to add a Russel seat so my wife is comfy as she was on the "Wing, and maybe a cupholder, tach and some more chrome as time goes on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well...
Great bike.
My Boss lady loves our bike.

Don't ride as much as CoolPig, but I don't think most folks do.
I've put 16.5K on ours in 2 seasons.

The Good:
Great Power for a cruiser.
Comfortable smooth ride.
Handles fine above parking lot speeds.
Beautiful machine.
Nice sound.
Good MPG for the size. I average about 42 riding 2 up.

The Bad:
Eats back tires. I'm on my 3rd.
Heavy at parking lot speeds, but you'll get used to it. If you're not it poor physical condition, it won't be a problem.

Mods:
slightly drilled baffles for a bit more rumble
tilted windshield back to eliminate wind buffeting
engine guard
luggage rack
light bar
blue engine LED's
Leather (Suedelike) covers for the grips. Much nicer.
moved the passenger floorboards forward 2 inches for the wifey's knees.

I think I will get a seat as this one is a little uncomfortable for long jaunts.
Looking at leatherlyke trunk.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
A good friend of mine recommended the Ultimate to me and I take his word seriously. I got it, put it on and now my butt loves me again.
Would I recommend it to another? No! I would recommend that you find someone with a seat you are interested in and ride their bike. Make your own decision. These seats are too expensive to get stuck with one you don't like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's my take...I bought my 08 2000 Classic LT new in May, I have about 8200 miles on her now. Fully concur with others here, it is definately heavy handling at low speed; I almost regretted getting this machine at first. But time in the saddle has made it a lot better...I've learned to handle her, and I don't think at this point I would be happy with anything else. Frankly, if I had the resources and space, I would buy another one and have two of them since they are not making them any longer. As Dadinator says, they are hard on back tires. I have about 2mm of tread left on the back tire so I am going to have to replace it, probably when spring gets here. What I like the best is that it does not lug in any way riding two up....lots of torque. I almost think I could pull tree stumps with this thing. I get 40mpg on average, which is good considering that you can't get fuel without ethanol in it around here. It is very nice out on the road, feels very stable and comfortable. I have not added any mods yet, but plan on doing a light bar, crash bars and luggage rack soon. Were I you, I would test ride as many different bikes out there as I could, and base your choice on what feels the best to you. Good luck and have fun trying them out...

·
Registered
198 Posts
You guys mention the ultimate, mustang and russel seats.

What made you decide on each?

I've been contemplating a new seat this winter.
I had a Mustang on my Vulcan 1600 and while it was better than stock, it wasn't by much (at least for me). I couldn't ride for much more than an hour before my a$$ was killing me, so I didn't want to get another one when I moved up to the V2K a few years ago. Ultimate wasn't making a seat for the V2K back then, so I went with the Russell seat and I haven't regretted it one bit. I live close enough to Russell here in Northern Calif. so I arranged for their One-Day Ride-In Service and had them custom fit a seat for me.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I forgot to add to my previous post that I also have crash bars and adjustable fold up highway pegs.

Stock seat = 100 miles at best

Ultimate seat = 625 miles in one day on trip to Kentucky, remaining 300 next day. Return trip same mileage each day. This past weekend I did 485 miles on Friday. Ultimate seats all the way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Test drive a few bikes for sure! I went from 16oocc to 2000cc and noticed right away the size and power of this bike was very not to be taken lightly!!! The stock seat suck! The rattle in the front lamp sucks, other wise the bike rules It took me all of 2 min if that to aclimate to the biger bike.

I can go on and on about my bike for sure, so say classy, smooth, powerful, see on and on. tehe... Oh yeah I'm 5'9" and 165 lbs and I have no problems at all holding this beast up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all, thanks to all the riders for posting. I do read all of them and take each into account.
I'm not basing my choice on what I hear, it's coming down to what feels good to me riding. The 900 is definatly not large enough and the Nomad is a litttle pricey for me. Especially since I can get an '09 for 5 grand less then the Nomad.
It sounds like everyone has replaced the stock seat, seems like everybody does that, no matter the brand. And since I have a case of the "Hardly there rear-end", that will probably be the first thing I do.
Has anyone set theirs up to pull a trailer? Since my Boss Lady does so much traveling, I was planning on getting a hitch so I can pull a trailer.
Has anyone gone to the "dark side" for their tires? That's another mod I'm leaning toward.
Again thanks for all the response.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks Old Bike Guy for getting back to me. I realize that the 2000 will be a little heavy at first. There is only 50 lbs. differance between the Nomad and the 2000. Not really enough to affect my choice. And since I'm not into trying top see how much I can drag my boards, I think it'll be fine.
I'm more interested in how you like yours, what changes you would have liked to see in between model years and what mods you have made to yours. other then the usual ones. Thanks.
Other than the mods I already have listed, I have done nothing else. I will be tilting the windshield back this Saturday and this winter I intend to add hard bags and a rear trunk...........and possibly a batwing, depending on finances. My exhaust is stock and I have no plans to change it. Next winter I will paint it. The factory screwed up the geometry of the windshield and should have fixed it years ago but they didn't......their bad. A new seat will be on it by the end of 2011.

That's about it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Has anyone set theirs up to pull a trailer? Since my Boss Lady does so much traveling, I was planning on getting a hitch so I can pull a trailer.
Has anyone gone to the "dark side" for their tires? That's another mod I'm leaning toward.
Again thanks for all the response.
Yes. I pull a trailer.
Got a hitch shortly after buying the bike.
Nice thing about this big torquey Vtwin is it pulls it just fine. Don't even notice that it's back there.

Don't know about that darkside... lotsa different opinions on that.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
07 v2k lt

Hi,

A rather large sales woman, who later also attended the motorcycle safety class I was in, told me to just buy a bike I fit on. Then, learn to ride it. Do not keep increasing sizes 'till you get what is right for you.

So, I went shopping and sat on all I could. The Vulcan was the only one that scared me, so, I bought it when the dealer came up with an acceptable color.

I'm 6'4" at 240 lbs. The handlebars had to be raised two clicks so the pull handles would clear my legs in a simple 90 degree turn. Later, I learned that those parts could be moved around. Now the bars are back down one click and I only need to move my right foot a little. 4" risers with a 1 1/2" pull back are on order so it is only a temporary condition. They should be in this week.

The seat was changed to an Ultimate and I am very happy.

Crash bars were necessary, but only at first. If I had it to do over again I'd not get them. I had to pick it up two times before I got them and after I did never goofed again.

I took the advanced driver course and learned to scrape the bumps in the rain. City driving is a breeze for me. That is because I spent so much time training around my house. The land if flat for many blocks around; there are hills also so I get to practice on all sorts of inclines. Starting out on a very very steep hill was easy the first time with a police car coming at me; he didn't expect to see that big bike in the park on THAT hill.

I never rode before in all my 64 years and now after my first year am over 4 thousand miles. If anything, I'd like to get the Trimuph 2300.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts