Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got the third of five kids out of college, fully launched (mostly) and finally off my cell phone bill and my auto policy. Lucky me, saving me a ton of dough. Kicking him and his car off my policy is long overdue.

While on the phone with the insurance company this AM I combed through my motorcycle policy. Was looking to reduce the rate, that for me is $370 on a bike that still has a small loan on it. Policy is collision, comp, roadside assistance, liability and medical.

My discounts are only experienced rider, MSF course completion and multi-policy discount for auto/watercraft/motorcycle. I am not getting discounts for stuff like Anti-lock brakes (don't have 'em), being a member of HOG (don't own one).

Am I missing anything? What do you pay?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't get a discount for ABS with my company! In fact my rates went UP slightly, because the bike is higher displacement; despite it's stronger brakes and ABS likely making it a safer bike. Go figure.

My only advice is to shop around. Get quotes. Won't hurt! I pay around $250/month for both cars ('14 Mustang, '14 Focus), both bikes ('14 Vaquero, '11 Shadow), and my homeowners, and that's full coverage with trip interruption, roadside, and higher than minimum liability and a large balloon. But I'm 25; so chances are, similar coverage, you'd be paying less.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Hey there Chicago_Cheech! Take this bit of wisdom from a certified old fart "The kids may leave home, yet they NEVER seem to leave your wallet"

Romans5.8 - That's quite the stable for such a relatively young man. Nice going!

Up here in Canada, with the INTACT insurance company, we pay about $170.00 per month for our 1999 Dodge RAM, 2007 Focus and the 2008 VN1600 Nomad. The bike is right around the $300.00 per year of that. All three policies carry $2,000,000.00 liability.

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks @MikeL123

We've had some good opportunities and get to have fun. Hard to beat that. 2014 was apparently a good year for vehicles too! Ha! My Focus was bought new, special order from the Factory, in 2013. The Mustang and Vaquero were leftovers (killer deal on both), we got a new mower this year (Hustler Raptor), but it's a 14, and the cargo trailer for the motorcycle was bought this year but is also titled as a 2014. So in total, somehow, I've managed to line up 4 things that are 2014 model year. I keep telling the wife I need to find her a 2014 Motorcycle so that it'll all be even.

First world problems, when you get a letter saying there's service due on your 2014 Ford, and you say "which one" Ha!

The real challenge is getting all of our junk in the garage; but I'm pretty good at garage tetris.

Sans mustang, but it goes in the empty spot there, and our garage has an 'alcove' at the back end that fits the mower. Have to move the Mustang out of the garage to get the mower out; but EVERYTHING fits in there!

Of course you end up needing to pull everything out to get anything out. I frequently just park my Focus out of the garage so I can get the bikes out easier when it's warm.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but Wow, Romans I figured wrongly that you were closer to my age instead of my kids.
Ooopsie! (as my granddaughter says) :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but Wow, Romans I figured wrongly that you were closer to my age instead of my kids.
Ooopsie! (as my granddaughter says) :)
Yeah I get that a lot...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Chicago Cheech,
As I'm sure you know there are many factors to pricing insurance. Location, risk, driving habits, previous claims or tickets.
My primary insurer does not insure bikes so I have my bike only with Flo. The discounts I get are full payment, MSF, and my driving history. My full coverage, roadside assistance for an 05 800 started out at 220 ish. This year I paid around $180 for customer loyalty and no claims. In May of this year I was quoted $250 for the same coverage plus trip interruption for an 06 Nomad. So to parrot Romans, " shop around " it may be worth moving all your coverage once you look into it. BTW this is for New Jersey.

Ron

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I don't have multicar discount as my bike is my only vehicle. When I renewed this season I paid around $150-ish I believe for the year. I'd have to look into it to be sure but it's not much. Full coverage, middle of the tier (not the lowest, nor the highest coverages). No tickets or accidents the last 5 years since my car accident that rendered my back pretty much useless anymore. Definitely shop around tho. Took me several quotes to find one both affordable and with good enough coverage for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just went with Geico. In my state they are $100 a year for the same coverage less roadside assistance that you have. Your State might be a lot higher but its worth getting a quote.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts