Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Face it! It's 10 percent off. You can follow your wife in the car, you can use a GPS, you can't trust a side of the road radar detector (or probably the follow the car thing. Frankly your wife means well and your friends would be accurate (if they could stop giggling))

Who WILL be accurate is the Police officer, filling out your performance review. And that's when you realize that you can't do long division while riding. Its just too busy to carry the ones. Silly guy! It's multiplication and subtraction that you're supposed to be doing anyways and really you only need remember 4 or 5 numbers.

So I was screwed. And so vicariously, because we own the same bike (all the imports actually) ARE YOU!!!!

You can buy a SpeedoHealer and set it up. It goes in between your sensor right off the crank and your speedo. It corrects the Speed shown AND it corrects for the phantom miles you've been racking up with the standard speedo (didn't know about that? If you are going 10 mph slower than shown, you're adding 10 miles per hour you aren't going)

That's a good answer. Suggested retail price 115.

You can buy and install a Scootworks Front Overdrive Pulley. My favorite. It drops final output rpm on the highway and better gears the bike for superslab operation. But it's sometimes hard to get one thanks to the fact they make em in batches, then they make other things and it's an indeterminate period between batches. Well worth the wait though. Join the Delphi 900 VNOG or the VNOG forums. Buy the pulley from JC at Meancycles.com and use the 5% forum discount codes and remember, it's free shipping over 100 bucks.

Price from Scoots or Meancycles before discount, 180 bucks.

Put a GPS on the bike. Not a bad idea. It'll get you where you're going and tell you how fast and how far. Won't transfer to the bikes odometer but can transfer to someone elses pocket if you don't remember to take it with you when you park the bike. Costs run from 120ish for a cheap one to close to 1000 bucks for a fancy shmancy oughta be on a Goldwing(and probably is) version.

Custom Dial cover. Takes a bit of doing and you'll need to buy one from Webslinger. Custom dial with corrected markings I don't know the prices, I think you have to contact him.

Finally, "The Bikes fine as is!" If only I could remember what speed is what or just convince all these people honking behind me that they need to go at a better pace"

Well find grandma, but if you'd like to know at a glance how fast your going without all that new fangled math, how about getting a paint pen from the local arts and crafts store, figuring out what is what ahead of time and marking it on the dial, like THIS?

The pen is about 4 bucks. White is what works for me. Didn't see if they had dayglow colors. Theres some angle on this picture so it isn't quite lined up right. What you need to know is your guage is 10% off(everyone I've heard of is).

SO:

indicated---------Actual
50-------------------45
56-------------------50
67-------------------60
78-------------------70
89-------------------80
100------------------90
112-----------------100
123-----------------110

That ought to be enough. I've actually had mine up to 120 indicated with the OEM pulley, long story but I really was only doing 108.
And don't forget to split the differences between the 10's for 5 mph marks. Just eyeball em, it'll be close enough. Heck, half of em are going to be guestimates anyways.

It's what I've been doing for months and it works. No wondering or math at high speed, just glance and go. Make sure to read the Outer numbers and not the one on the speedo. If you change your mind later all you need to do to remove the paint is take it off with a single edge razer blade.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i just did the math once. remembering wasnt that hard. dont see the need to do the math every time you go out, it certainly isnt going to change :)
mine isnt 10% off either, closer to 7% 80mph is about 74mph on mine.
oh, and my gas guage is just about dead nuts, w/o any fixes. guess im one of the lucky ones.
maybe I got a test bike?!?! lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt it. My problem with the math on the run is I have a bad memory for some things and this evidently is one of them. Sure I can remember how fast to run on the roads I always take, but when I get going down unfamilar and therefore, different speed roads. Maybe I'm just weird BUT I didn't invent this mod neither. I saw marks on another guys speedometer and didn't get to ask him about them. At the time I was running the overdrive pulley so the speedo was close enough. But when I put the OEM pulley back on I was back to wondering just how fast I could go in the traffic flow to stay ahead yet not get ticketed. Then the marks made sense to me, it clicked, and so I offer this to whoever needs it.

I have heard of the rare cases where the speedo was less than 10% off, but by and far it's been 10%. it is 10% on everyones I know in KC and that I've talked to on the web. You are the first first hander I've talked to. And I heard lately their actually fixing the fuel gauge, lately. But most of those require the 260 ohm resister mod.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I drove down to the AF Academy today with my GPS attached. SHowed that my Speedo was 3 mph faster at 60 mph. GPS said 57mph. At 70 mph, it was 4 mph off.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great!! maybe they are finally fixing it then. Mines a 2007 and my along with a couple others I know of in town that are 2006 and 2008 they are all 10%. I've also heard that they are now fixing the stinking fuel gauge too. Nice to know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2009 was about 7%-8% off untill I put the scootworks on. Now its within 1%-2% as checked by a mid level GPS. Close enough.

My fuel gauge seems just a little off but not bad with no fixes done. Light comes on close to E and takes about 4 gal to refuel. This is usually between 170 to 200 miles on trip odo. depending on how I've been riding. Slow traffic or interstate are usually toward the lower number but two lane cruising is usually closer to the 200 mile number.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have heard this before about the speedo being off. I have a 06 LT and I assume mine is probably off too. This pisses me off, that with all the engineerng that goes into these bikes, they can't get something as simple as the speedo right. I don't get it......:mad:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've always heard it stems from a Honda lawsuit caused by their speedo being a bit off the other way. Guy sued and won and now the import guys are all off the other way on purpose.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mines an 09, gas gauge is very close to spot on, or at least better than my Ford.

Speedo is another story, By GPS off about 8 % (Fast) at 70 MPH. 70 indicated is actually 64.2 MPH. I just do a mental calc using 10 % and that all that is needed.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The speedo needle can be reset and I posted the instructions about a year ago...don't remember where I saved on my drive. Mine is off no more than 2mph off w/gps (reads fast), or the thickness of the needle. It takes too much patience to get it dead on. My gas gauge sticks sometimes; I just rode 170 miles and it was stuck on full, and now that it's unstuck the fuel light came on at just under 1/8th tank with resistor mod. When light comes on I've got 1.3gal in the tank.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I put on a 170/80-15 rear tire, which made a 3% adjsutment for larger diameter, and about a 2% correction for new tread depth vs worn tread. Speedo error is now about 4-5%.

I just ordered a scootworks front pulley for about 6% correction. When installed, I expect the speedo to indicate about 2% short (50 mph indicated = 51 true)

If this estimation is accurate, speedo will be dead accurate at some point during the treadlife of the tire.

The sad part of the story is that with installation of the new tire, the odo reads 2% short (100 miles on the mile markers = 98.1 on the gauge), After installation of the pulley, I expect the odo to be 8% short.

There's no way I know of to make both odo and speedo accurate, short of getting into the gauge cluster with a heck of a lot more electronics knowledge than I have.

That said, you've gotta pick which one you want, and I've never heard of a ticket (performance evaluation--I loved that) for inaccurate odo.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hey there Mr Clean, ru running both pulleys and if so how was it pulling your trailer. Cheers Maurice

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only have the front Scootworks pulley and it pulled the trailer fine. With the exception of a loss in acceleration and a little longer to stop I didn't really know it was there. We were in group formation for the majority of the trip and abiding the speed limit SOOO on the 70mph section of the trip I got about 40.5 mpg. On the 65 and 55 mph portion I got 45 mpg. I did notice the trailer going into curves a little hard, you could feel it trying to push the corner out. Of course to fix that I just slowed more before the corners and then accelerated a little harder through them, it stayed right behind me then. I topped out around 95 on one short stretch and spent quite a bit of time between 75 and 80 on the way back home late Friday night. In the rain. With NO extra light, dark as all get out. And with road construction with very minimum striping. And signage. Like the 'Un-even lanes' sign. That was half a mile AFTER I changed lanes and found out there was un-even lanes. I found out with a gentle tug on the right trailer wheel, a quick bump on the motorcycle wheels and a final tug on the left trailer wheel the combination of which had me oscilating between 3 and 4 times a second. Figured I was going to slap the tank but it straightened out. There was a brief moment there that I wondered if I had fallen asleep and was enjoying the benefits of that. I didn't sleep for about an hour after I got home and that was 2 hours farther up the road. Yea, really got me awake.

The GPS says I'm doing 78 when I'm doing 80 on the speedo. Everything below that is just a smaller percentage of wrong. I'm happy with that.

Eureka Springs and surrounding area is wonderful fun. You can have the dragon all you want, I'll take the Ozarks. Feels more like home there anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Yep, i found braking distances were increased, actually helped the bike on "ground road sections" did not push it to hard on the corners, steady speed , 60 mph, the other half was comfortable with it so its all a go to Phoenix in 3 weeks. Thanks for the input. Maurice

·
Registered
295 Posts
There's not a whole lot I remember from the '70s, :D but I do remember reading an article in a motorcycle magazine where the speedos are off by design. The feds passed a law that the speedo can't read lower than what you're actually traveling, so they make 'em so they read more than the speed you're going. It might have been a Honda lawsuit, I don't know. I don't remember that part!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The Metz 880 200/70-15 does a fair job of correcting the speedo difference too, though I will say YMMV. I noticed a bit of drop in the RPM, and longer shifting points.

Now, though I'm enjoying the ride more, I can't help but think... wonder how this tire combined with a rear pulley from Myron would work? :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts