Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,874 Posts
What do you do to winterize? jack up the bike, remove the battery or put it on a tender, and what else? (One thing I try to do more so in the winter months, even if I’m riding, is to have the non-ethanol gas in my fuel system.) Curious because I might do it with my other bike, which is not very good for cold weather riding like my V2K

Whoareu: Just reread your post, so obviously you are changing the oil— you do that at the start of winter huh rather than in spring? I think I’ve heard of guys doing both—one or the other—but it seems like having fresh oil at the start of the spring season is preferred. What’s the rationale for doing it when you winterize? Again just curious and I just did my oil change like a month ago, so I’d rather not do it until I get 3K on there😁
What do I do to winterize?
I put on a jacket.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Well here’s the page out of my owners manual.
View attachment 252724

Pretty much leaves it wide open but I’m still of the opinion that friction modifiers (added to almost all car oils) aren’t good for a wet clutch. That’s based on experience. Castrol Go! is specially designed for motorcycles, and that’s what I’ve been using for the past few years in both of my bikes. It is conventional oil. It’s right around seven bucks a quart at my local auto parts store.
Yeah, I have an owner's manual for mine, and the Kawasaki OEM service manual too. ;)

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I wasn't referring to the manual, that gives several options. What I said was if the oil label, meaning the specs on the oil container label, shows the JASO MA-type rating that means it's suitable for wet clutch/engine/transmission common sump.

You see the JASO MA ratings in the Shell Rotella example provided by coosacounty.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well you did say check the owners manual so that’s the page out of my owners manual. I know that the oil itself has the specs on it, and that Rotella passes for an acceptable oil per what Kawi says. Maybe I’ll try it

·
Registered
911 Posts
Somewhere, someone did mention that south of Interstate 10 people can ride all year... or something to that effect.
I for sure can a will ride most of the year if job/family permit it.
My wife will ride with me unless is a "Boys Day Out" kinda' ride which is about half the time. That balance of riding 1-up half the time and 2-up the other half is just about right for me. She's taking to go traveling with me when I plan long excursions on the bike but that has it's own financial and time restrictions on it by itself. Travels has been off since our Canada Adventure 2019 so we are due to go somewhere next year. I can, maybe, manage one trip by myself and one with her per year, duration of said trips will depend on money and time restrictions.
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WINTERIZING IS...AT ALL (well, I do know but just enough to know I don't need it, do not bother to deal with it)

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Somewhere, someone did mention that south of Interstate 10 people can ride all year... or something to that effect.
I for sure can a will ride most of the year if job/family permit it.
My wife will ride with me unless is a "Boys Day Out" kinda' ride which is about half the time. That balance of riding 1-up half the time and 2-up the other half is just about right for me. She's taking to go traveling with me when I plan long excursions on the bike but that has it's own financial and time restrictions on it by itself. Travels has been off since our Canada Adventure 2019 so we are due to go somewhere next year. I can, maybe, manage one trip by myself and one with her per year, duration of said trips will depend on money and time restrictions.
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WINTERIZING IS...AT ALL (well, I do know but just enough to know I don't need it, do not bother to deal with it)
I’m closer to I-90 and it’s work but I’ve ridden year round for 8 winters now. Takes like 10 extra minutes to gear up when it’s below 45 F

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rotella is designed for Diesel engines. Diesel is a lot "dirtier" that gasoline, and the oil is designed to keep the various particles in suspension. It does that better than a "regular oil". I use it myself, from my first oil change, and my bike purrs!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts