Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey haven’t heard from anybody in a while, are you guys still riding? We’ve been getting lots of rain and a high of only 50° up here in the PNW but I’m still riding LOL. What’s been happening with y’all? My V2K is running great That’s all I have to report👍

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i been out a few times when it hit mid 60s and clear. Don’t do rain unless I get caught

I’ll ride once a week all winter just to keep her ready👍🏽
Yeah I don’t do rain unless I get caught but where I live it’s hard not to get caught LOL. I do ride year around, and I have two bikes, so that’s pretty challenging in this climate but I usually get out at least once a week on both bikes. That’s my answer to winterizing – just ride!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve been running two trips a week for 3 weeks to Florida on my bike for work. As a certified x-ray electrician my biggest tool is my laptop and multimeter so it’s not hard to pack out for a few days on my bike. It’s about a 500 mile a trip and I’ve hit rain, cold, and warm weather all in the same almost every time. Then I spend the weekend teaching my oldest son how to ride his ninja 250r he just bought so even more riding. I have had to buy a complete set of leathers and rain suit because last years leathers go ruined by a rat. And the rain suit was in need of replacement.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve been running two trips a week for 3 weeks to Florida on my bike for work. As a certified x-ray electrician my biggest tool is my laptop and multimeter so it’s not hard to pack out for a few days on my bike. It’s about a 500 mile a trip and I’ve hit rain, cold, and warm weather all in the same almost every time. Then I spend the weekend teaching my oldest son how to ride his ninja 250r he just bought so even more riding. I have had to buy a complete set of leathers and rain suit because last years leathers go ruined by a rat. And the rain suit was in need of replacement.
My boy (well, age 32) has one of those crotch rockets but he lives in Tucson so I don’t get to ride with him, he has to rely on what I taught him when he was young, which was dirt bikes. The wife and I get nervous just thinking about him on a sport bike.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
27F and icy roads so, no.

Supposed to be near 50F a couple times next week so maybe, but likely any riding will be to warm up the oil for the winterization change. The gas was treated last ride.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What do you do to winterize? jack up the bike, remove the battery or put it on a tender, and what else? (One thing I try to do more so in the winter months, even if I’m riding, is to have the non-ethanol gas in my fuel system.) Curious because I might do it with my other bike, which is not very good for cold weather riding like my V2K

Whoareu: Just reread your post, so obviously you are changing the oil— you do that at the start of winter huh rather than in spring? I think I’ve heard of guys doing both—one or the other—but it seems like having fresh oil at the start of the spring season is preferred. What’s the rationale for doing it when you winterize? Again just curious and I just did my oil change like a month ago, so I’d rather not do it until I get 3K on there😁

·
Registered
79 Posts
You know I never thought about that because here we winterize the riders not the bike. But if I was in a colder area I guess it would be non ethanol gas, lipo battery, maybe jacked up, and a climate control storage unit. I would swing by at least twice a month and at least ride it around the storage units parking lot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My oldest son is 18, two daughters at 16 ( we adopted my daughter’s best friend because of a bad situation with her parents) , and youngest son at 15. My wife almost killed me for letting and helping him buy that bike. For real no joke. But after watching us work on learning how to ride she’s liking it a bit. But still won’t ride with us yet.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My oldest son is 18, two daughters at 16 ( we adopted my daughter’s best friend because of a bad situation with her parents) , and youngest son at 15. My wife almost killed me for letting and helping him buy that bike. For real no joke. But after watching us work on learning how to ride she’s liking it a bit. But still won’t ride with us yet.
My wife won’t go near my bikes, not since the 80s when we had a “gentle spill” on my scooter. Ah well as long as I can ride 😁

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife will not drive but she’s been riding with me since high school. Yes I was that kid that showed up to pick her up at her parents house on a bike when we were dating. My mother in law still hates us riding on a bike.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Been out ripping down the road, helping folks out, doing activist stuff....back now, weathers nasty, cold.....but will ride some more when its clears.....

Reactions: M'OtherOrb

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been out ripping down the road, helping folks out, doing activist stuff....back now, weathers nasty, cold.....but will ride some more when its clears.....
Yeah this is crazy weather in the northwest because today it’s 64° but really windy but dry, so I take what I can get. I will probably ride for an hour and a half until something nasty comes at me

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
What do you do to winterize? jack up the bike, remove the battery or put it on a tender, and what else? (One thing I try to do more so in the winter months, even if I’m riding, is to have the non-ethanol gas in my fuel system.) Curious because I might do it with my other bike, which is not very good for cold weather riding like my V2K

Whoareu: Just reread your post, so obviously you are changing the oil— you do that at the start of winter huh rather than in spring? I think I’ve heard of guys doing both—one or the other—but it seems like having fresh oil at the start of the spring season is preferred. What’s the rationale for doing it when you winterize? Again just curious and I just did my oil change like a month ago, so I’d rather not do it until I get 3K on there😁
I start putting stabilizer in the fuel as the time draws near. If I can get on all non-oxy gas for winter storage I do, else I don't lose too much sleep over it if there is a partial mix.

I change oil once per year, for winter storage, because I don't believe in storing the bike with used oil in it. It is parked in cold storage with fresh oil and not started again until it's time to drive come spring. Come spring I drive on that same oil until the winter change time comes again.

I charge the battery to be sure it is fully topped off, then I disconnect the negative cable. The battery stays in the bike, in cold storage without any maintainer. Come time to drive in spring, I reconnect the battery cable and start the engine (without need of charge or jump, because there is practically no self-discharge in cold storage).

That's about it...

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, thanks. A couple of follow-up questions, so you don’t feel the need to jack up the bike because of the tires? Also, what if you put more miles in one year than one oil change can bear, I guess then you would do a second oil change mid year?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I do not jack up the bike. And, yes, if I put on materially more than the roughly 5k per year on the VN2K a mid season change might be a consideration. Bear in mind my total driving miles in a year are split between two MC and four different "cages". No one vehicle gets a ton of miles from me in any given year.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not jack up the bike. And, yes, if I put on materially more than the roughly 5k per year on the VN2K a mid season change might be a consideration. Bear in mind my total driving miles in a year are split between two MC and four different "cages". No one vehicle gets a ton of miles from me in any given year.
Thanks again. I have also four cages and another bike but I still manage to put like 6K on each bike. I don’t drive my little pick up very much anymore, and were it not for the wife and kid I wouldn’t drive the cages unless it’s raining

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Thanks again. I have also four cages and another bike but I still manage to put like 6K on each bike. I don’t drive my little pick up very much anymore, and were it not for the wife and kid I wouldn’t drive the cages unless it’s raining
I would not change twice because of 6k vs 5k but seems quite a few people gain peace of mind with more frequent changes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts