Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this one out;

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3866917145.html

Okay so every now and then, when I'm bored, I'll scout craigslists for deals on stuff I'm looking for. Stuff I don't need right now but want later so I'll skim for deals for a while until I finally pull the trigger. Now, keep in mind you can get an 8" wheel cargo trailer, that's bigger than that, for $400 from Harbor Freight. $600, no title, missing a wheel even. Sheesh!

A principal reason why Craigslist is NOT a place to go for pricing information, because the ads only show the prices people are ASKING, not the prices people are actually able to SELL things for!

Oh well, I'll keep on looking!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love the complete lack of respect for the english language!!!! Misspelled words, using the word "are" instead of "or", not a period in the whole damned ad. I don't expect every word to be spelled correctly, and I sure don't expect everyone to know where every comma and period goes, but damn... I sometimes wonder what these guys did in grade school. I mean this is not high school type stuff. The reason he wants $600 for it is because he probably paid $1000 for it 6 months ago. So, he thinks $600 is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The best ads are the ones where people don't even bother to see what their thing is worth and ask outrageous amounts. I've seen ads for a 3 year old iMac for only $150 less than buying one brand new. Also ads for bikes/cars that are $3000-$5000 above kbb value.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason he wants $600 for it is because he probably paid $1000 for it 6 months ago. So, he thinks $600 is a pretty good deal.
OR he paid $600 for it and thinks he can make it all back!

And I'm sure if you called him up and offered him what it's worth, he'd say "But it's worth $600!". It ain't worth it if nobody is buying it!

My favorite though, are the "This is broken here's how to fix it" ad's. There's something wrong with the vehicle/appliance/piece of electonics, and there's an easy, no-cost fix! Like, "The radio doesn't work, but you just have to find the loose wire and re-connect it". Really? I mean if it was that easy why don't YOU do it and make the car easier to sell! You're just GUESSING it's a loose wire without having done ANY diagnostic work!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Check this one out;

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3866917145.html

Okay so every now and then, when I'm bored, I'll scout craigslists for deals on stuff I'm looking for. Stuff I don't need right now but want later so I'll skim for deals for a while until I finally pull the trigger. Now, keep in mind you can get an 8" wheel cargo trailer, that's bigger than that, for $400 from Harbor Freight. $600, no title, missing a wheel even. Sheesh!

A principal reason why Craigslist is NOT a place to go for pricing information, because the ads only show the prices people are ASKING, not the prices people are actually able to SELL things for!

Oh well, I'll keep on looking!
I scout CL to get a fix at times also.
This one is hilarious. Always able to get a chuckle while looking at some of these ads.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I've bought my 2 bikes from CL but not paid asking price.

I went to look at one bike. The pic showed it in pristine condition but in real life, it was rusty and nasty. I chastised the idgit for wasting my time.

I learned from then on to let the seller know that it better be what pic shows... and nothing less.

That trailer is a big joke!

·
Registered
226 Posts
LOL, that's a $50 trailer - on a good day.

I am always amazed at what people think things are worth.

Then again, when I post something on CL, I am generally looking to get rid of it and price it accordingly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You guys clearly misunderstood. Given all the other punctuation, grammar and spelling errors, he is asking $ 6.00 for the trailer. Maybe a little high, but not too bad. What I can't understand is how he thinks someone would part with a Ruger for that untitled trailer.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys clearly misunderstood. Given all the other punctuation, grammar and spelling errors, he is asking $ 6.00 for the trailer. Maybe a little high, but not too bad. What I can't understand is how he thinks someone would part with a Ruger for that untitled trailer.
I don't even think I'd give him the box my ruger came in for that trailer.

I was tempted to call him and offer $50 for it. Although I have a feeling he's convinced he can get $600 for it. But for really, really, dirt cheap, I'd pick something like that up, new wheels and tires, new lights, sand it down and repaint it, clean and repack the bearings and potentially replace parts. Who knows though, it looks like the box itself is fairly warped and out of shape...

Of course without a title there's always the concern that he just "found" it somewhere.

Chances are I'm gonna stick with my original plan of a Harbor Freight Tag-a-long trailer. It's like a Piggybacker without the amenities, for $400 (And you can get a 20% off coupon on top of that!). Pull behind trailers are a bust on Craigslist I'm finding! Lots of guys trying to sell their homemade trailers for $1500. I mean they are nice and all, I'm sure they took a lot of work, but why would I want a smaller AND heavier trailer for more money?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Of course without a title there's always the concern that he just "found" it somewhere.
That was my first thought, that he stole it or did find it on some old junk lot and is trying to make a buck off of it.

The gun for that beat up P.O.S. is funny to me.

But I deal in law enforcement and don't trust anyone.... It's kind of the nature of the beast not trusting other people.

I need to get one of those pay as you go phones to mess with people... I think he would be fun!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was my first thought, that he stole it or did find it on some old junk lot and is trying to make a buck off of it.

The gun for that beat up P.O.S. is funny to me.

But I deal in law enforcement and don't trust anyone.... It's kind of the nature of the beast not trusting other people.

I need to get one of those pay as you go phones to mess with people... I think he would be fun!!
I was seriously tempted to call him and offer him $30 just to see what he'd say. I wonder if he just has no idea what it's worth; or maybe he acquired it and saw that other trailers were going for $1500+ and was thinking that made his worth $600 (except that thing was never $1500 even when it was new!).

I mean for $50 or $75 it wouldn't be a bad deal. It'd need some TLC but it'd be a fun little project for a decent cargo trailer. But it would probably cost as much to fix it up as it would cost just to buy the HF trailer!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Found this unusual wooden pull behind trailer on Craigslist just today. Looks nearly like a casket! He is wanting $500 for it.

1371521790976.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this one is more in the ball park ... this is "piggybackers" $950 model .. the price and condition seems fair, it has the larger wheels than mine and the torsion suspension.

http://lakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/3850484851.html

Too bad it's so far away! (And I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, was gonna wait to spend anything until after!)

$500 for a piggybacker is a steal...

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Too bad it's so far away! (And I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, was gonna wait to spend anything until after!)

$500 for a piggybacker is a steal...
Yep, led lights, jack stand, spare tire, and a cooler basket...
well worth the dough.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
this one is more in the ball park ... this is "piggybackers" $950 model .. the price and condition seems fair, it has the larger wheels than mine and the torsion suspension.

http://lakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/3850484851.html

That seems pretty reasonable to me...almost makes me want to hang one behind the XR for the long trips...course it'd take some of the fun out of the twisties for me.

When I was gearing up to haul my bike to AZ for a trip in February, I looked at the local CL for motorcycle trailers. Only found 2 3-place dirtbike rigs, but ironically both guys wanted $475. One fella had nice pics of his, at least, showing a near-mint trailer with very little wear on the tires, no rust, what looked to be a serviceable spare. It had obviously been at least garaged.

The other, funny thing, was being sold by a guy a block up my street, and I had seen it in his front yard every day for the last 3 months. His had a flat tire, wiring hanging free underneath, and was mostly rust colored. Gotta take your time to find the deals on CL

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought a frame from some local, small town outdoor goods/hardware store, just a simple 4x6 or 8, single axle rated to I think 1k lbs. Slapped some plywood, drilled in some eyelets, mounted some chocks, installed a 4pin harness set/lighting set, spent half a day, ended up with a nice, light, cheap trailer so nice that when I parked it some years later next to 6 other unsecured trailers, mine was the one that was jacked.

I'm a firm believer that if someone doesn't sell what you want, make it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts