Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my 2009 Classic LT for 10 days now and am very happy with it. I have noticed one odd "ticking" sound that I haven't been able to identify. Sounds like it is coming from the front of the bike under the tank.

I don't believe it is valve knock or pre-ignition. It comes and goes but I hear it mostly at about 40 -45 MPH when the Revs are fairly low. It "ticks" at different frequencies as well...

I was thinking it might be a fuel pump/fuel injection thing but ....i havent been able to isolate it except that its coming from the front near the bottom of the tank.

After reading some other posts ...I'm definitely going to chack out the headlight/turn signals ...I hadn't considered those ....

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've been riding my 2009 Classic LT for 10 days now and am very happy with it. I have noticed one odd "ticking" sound that I haven't been able to identify. Sounds like it is coming from the front of the bike under the tank.

I don't believe it is valve knock or pre-ignition. It comes and goes but I hear it mostly at about 40 -45 MPH when the Revs are fairly low. It "ticks" at different frequencies as well...

I was thinking it might be a fuel pump/fuel injection thing but ....i havent been able to isolate it except that its coming from the front near the bottom of the tank.

After reading some other posts ...I'm definitely going to chack out the headlight/turn signals ...I hadn't considered those ....
You my friend are experiencing the "kawi-tick". Welcome to the wonderful world of Kawi.....where loose valves run supreme. After break-in a good quality synthetic will quiet them down, considerably.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You'll find a module just under the right side of the tank. Three hoses are connected to it. One goes to the air sensor on your Air cleaner housing. The other two goes to the top of the cylinders.

When you first start the bike, put your hand on it. It won't take long you'll feel it ticking away in the palm of your hand. It's working away the air system. As the bike warms up it get less frequent and dies off after idle is reached. It spurratically goes here and there when needed.

This is usually the first one that gets us strange as new owners.

Cheers...

Denis

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You'll find a module just under the right side of the tank. Three hoses are connected to it. One goes to the air sensor on your Air cleaner housing. The other two goes to the top of the cylinders.

When you first start the bike, put your hand on it. It won't take long you'll feel it ticking away in the palm of your hand. It's working away the air system. As the bike warms up it get less frequent and dies off after idle is reached. It spurratically goes here and there when needed.

This is usually the first one that gets us strange as new owners.

Cheers...

Denis
sorry guys but, "What the F**K" :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Its your valve train. Drove me crazy last year when I bought my 2009 900 classic and started riding. Now its just one of the odd sounds it makes and if any of them stop I'll know something is wrong.
4 holes drilled and screen punched out of the exhaust has helped.
It's a great bike, enjoy it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
reddyford....If you got an idea post it. The kawi makes many different noises and many have tried to describe them as you can see by the various responses and threads. Starting with the easy ones is a good approach for a 10 day rider. Better then what the ....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
reddyford....If you got an idea post it. The kawi makes many different noises and many have tried to describe them as you can see by the various responses and threads. Starting with the easy ones is a good approach for a 10 day rider. Better then what the ....
I said sorry...one thing I don't have is ideas...I've posted facts. One is the air sensor changes with air density and is monitored by the ECU. No hose connected to it, just wires. Two, I think your trying to explain the Clean air system which does not involve the air sensor. It is for smog or emissions and has a valve switch operated by vacuum, reed valves on the clyinder heads, and inlet and outlet hoses. (can disable) Three, the idle is kept up by the two idle solenoids housed on the right side, only at cold start up and also is controled by the ECU. They make noise but only for around 7 seconds and only at start up. Valve train is noisy and the bike knocks. I don't know if the reed valves make noise. Again, I'm sorry Denis for the inappropriate post. Post on with your opinions and ideas.

What noise? Install some loud pipes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys ..I appareciate the info as always. I wasn't really "worried" about that ticking sound as the bike runs great ( I just hit 1000 miles on it tonight) but ..it did catch my attention. Just didn't like hearing it. I've had the bike for 2 weeks now and I'm attaching a picture. It's 100% stock still (not surprising) but ....I'm pricing Mustang seats and I want to get some kind of highway bars/Crash Bars/Engine protectors on it in the very near future. They go by different names at different sites (i.e. JPcycle ....Bike Bandit ...etc.etc...).

In the last month I'm sure i've read every thread in every catagory in every section of this site.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I saw on this forum last year, a post that summed this noise issue really well. The poster said- If you sat on top of your car engine going down the road you'd be surprised at how much noise it makes. Remember you and the engine in your car are separated by a steel wall so we don't have a good comparison for a bike engine. Your ears and the valve train are less than 3 feet apart on the bike- valve trains and injection systems are normally noisy!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, I love my 2008 Vulcan V2K!!! I don't like the procedure for checking the oil level. 875 lbs with the kickstand up trying to keep the bike level the same way everytime is a lot to ask of a rider. I have a (valve knock) noise after about every 400-600 miles at start up. I shut the bike down quickly. I have added 1/4 quart of oil and restart and it taps only a couple of seconds and won't again for several hundred miles. If it taps at start up, I add another 1/4 of a quart. This is why I am so concerned about how to check the oil level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kawi-tick

You my friend are experiencing the "kawi-tick". Welcome to the wonderful world of Kawi.....where loose valves run supreme. After break-in a good quality synthetic will quiet them down, considerably.
Kawi-tick????? My new 2009 leftover with 101 mi experienced this ticking sound today.

I am still baffled and not sure I know from the messages what causes this ticking noise. When the clutch is engaged it disappears, when the throttle is let go the noise disappears and a rare occassions disappears when riding.

It appeared out of nowhere today (beautiful day/night in jersey)

Now I am respecting the break-in period (not sure if there is one) so I am not doing 70+ mph.

I am currently driving around town in 3rd gear doing 40-45 tops!

Any suggestiona and recommendations would help.

PS: Bought my first tankfull of gas today (premium) ....didn't have that tick prior to that.

Thanking you guys in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read on a post here around a year ago about similar issues, someone said, and I'm paraphrasing here, It's a V-Twin, they have a characteristic of they're own.., mine tick's away sometimes, when it does I think "the bikes tickin away nicely there", when its not I dont think about it.., end of the day if the bikes runnin well, ticks or not, never worry and ride safe.!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey guys, I love my 2008 Vulcan V2K!!! I don't like the procedure for checking the oil level. 875 lbs with the kickstand up trying to keep the bike level the same way everytime is a lot to ask of a rider. I have a (valve knock) noise after about every 400-600 miles at start up. I shut the bike down quickly. I have added 1/4 quart of oil and restart and it taps only a couple of seconds and won't again for several hundred miles. If it taps at start up, I add another 1/4 of a quart. This is why I am so concerned about how to check the oil level.
The best thing to do is properly check the oil level in the first place. Just adding oil without knowing if it's low or not will overfill the crankcase and create a leak from the Pcv system. Maybe you can get someone help you check it. V twin engines are very noisy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Cravellier, get louder pipes.

Hey Lovingmyvulcan, 1/4 quart of oil every several hundred miles? That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're not overfilling? Just prior to changing my oil I checked my 900 at 5000 after the previous oil change and it was still at the required level.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts