Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all kinds of ways to make the exhaust louder (replacement, debaffle, etc.). I mostly just wanna make mine deeper. I've done the first stage of debaffling, and while I wouldn't mind it a little louder, I'm happy with the volume.

I saw a V-Star 950 that sounded nice and deep, but it was super loud. Is there any way to get a relatively small (medium) displacement engine like ours to have that low, throaty purr/growl?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I did the second stage debaffle and was really pleased with the moderate volume increase and the deeper sound as well. I would say that stage 2 could not be called excessively loud by anyone. It is nice that while at idle you can talk to some one next to you, but when you really get on the throttle she lets you know it.

Of course, the true source of a deeper sound is to use a larger drum head. In other words, get a 1700 which has bigger pistons and therefore a deeper rumble.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, the true source of a deeper sound is to use a larger drum head. In other words, get a 1700 which has bigger pistons and therefore a deeper rumble.
I know you're right, but I was hoping to not have to modify my bike by replacing it;)

Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
I see all kinds of ways to make the exhaust louder (replacement, debaffle, etc.). I mostly just wanna make mine deeper. I've done the first stage of debaffling, and while I wouldn't mind it a little louder, I'm happy with the volume.

I saw a V-Star 950 that sounded nice and deep, but it was super loud. Is there any way to get a relatively small (medium) displacement engine like ours to have that low, throaty purr/growl?
I would try the stage 2 debaffle with 4 holes instead of 8. Not too loud, but definately a little deeper.

I did see a 2 into 1 exhaust with good sound on you tube. I cannot remember the manufacturer though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry if this seems like an attempted hijacking, but when you did the stage-1, did you drill a 7/8" hole in the center pipe or did you just use a 7/8" rebar with a RBH? (really big hammer)
I'm still trying to decide which route to take for my S-1. I "might" progress to a full debaffle eventually, but I had my doubts about the rebar whack, and was wondering...
Let us know if you drill the 4 holes, and how you like the sound, as I might change my mind about the full debaffle. My other bike is fully debaffled, and it was GREAT!!! - for about 300 miles. Now...I find myself wearing ear plugs when I ride that bike. A helmet can give you something like a boom-box effect, and I've found that I can actually get a headache during a longer ride!! :(
Go slowly and carefully. You can always drill more holes...you can't always "rebaffle"!!!
:)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sorry if this seems like an attempted hijacking, but when you did the stage-1, did you drill a 7/8" hole in the center pipe or did you just use a 7/8" rebar with a RBH? (really big hammer)
I'm still trying to decide which route to take for my S-1. I "might" progress to a full debaffle eventually, but I had my doubts about the rebar whack, and was wondering...
Let us know if you drill the 4 holes, and how you like the sound, as I might change my mind about the full debaffle. My other bike is fully debaffled, and it was GREAT!!! - for about 300 miles. Now...I find myself wearing ear plugs when I ride that bike. A helmet can give you something like a boom-box effect, and I've found that I can actually get a headache during a longer ride!! :(
Go slowly and carefully. You can always drill more holes...you can't always "rebaffle"!!!
:)
ETC,
I used the 7/8 inch hole saw and 12" extension. It took about 60 seconds to do both pipes. I'd be willing to ship em both to you if you promise to ship em back. It might save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hole saw it is! I rather thought that was going to be the right way to do it!

Bill - The exhaust mod for Harley (VRSC) is almost the same as the Vulcan - and they're right. If you do a stage-2 with 2, then 4, then more as needed holes before doing a full debaffle - you'll deepen the sound a bit before the volume gets too loud for your riding tastes...the only thing I can add is to ride the bike for a bit before you knock more holes in the baffle wall. I debaffled before I realized how loud it wold be for a 3-4 hour ride. This should also be applicable on the VN900. The VRSC has an 1130cc motor, so the "drum head" isn't that much bigger. ;)

KenDawg - I deeply appreciate your offer!!! I'll go ahead and get the extension and the 7/8" (bi-metal?) hole saw from HD (Home Depot - NOT Harley Davidson!!)
I don't like to borrow tools when I can avoid it!!!
The 12" extension, hole saws (3" for later!) and a good 1/2" metal drill dit will be faaaar less than the cheapest aftermarket exhaust system. :eek:

I'm probably going to pick up a pair of "warranty-work" pipes B4 I get too far along, both for the unlikely event that I have to return my bike to the stealer for repair, and for the much more likely event that I mess up during the later stages of debaffling... but I'm thinking that I'll do the Stage-1 right away.

I HATE riding a silent bike!!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've done the 7/8in hole saw on two sets of stock pipes now, (nothing else). I agree with try it for a while after each step... once you get a few hundred miles I think you'll notice a bigger difference than on day one. At least thats been my experience.

·
Registered
657 Posts
After installing my Cobra pipes, I thought my ride sounded pretty good. After starting it up next to bigger displacement bikes, it still sounds good, but not as deep as you describe. After I added the Arlen Ness Bifg Sucker last week, it sounded a bit lower, but still not with the desired deepenss. My answer is that after the Vulcan is paid off, I'll be seeking my second bike which will be more suited for longer touring rides and can better accomodate riding 2-up. This will more than likely mean a deeper sounding ride.

Sorry, but drilling and debaffling will make it louder, it still won't be deep. Nothing sounds like a big bike like a big bike!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I drilled 2 holes then 4 holes, didn't like the sound, then whached the center with rebar and a big hammer. It made a big difference, low at idle but rumbles under load, I'm happy with the sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts