Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from sunny Guatemala. I just did my first oil change on my 06 VN900... I used Bizol 10W40, as its previous owner said he used. Now I'm getting clunky shifts and a sound coming from below when accelerating, but it's only when a gear is engaged and you demand more from the bike... No noise when accelerating on neutral...

It sounds like something is resisting to rotate or spin, although no changes to response and performance have been noticed...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Check and make sure your oil is topped off. Make sure your belt is adjusted for the right tightness, using a gauge. Make doubly sure your belt is tracking in the middle of the pulley and not rubbing on either side. After that, make sure your brakes are not dragging, both front and back. Make sure your wheels spin free when up on the lift. If you feel dragging, unbolt your calipers, support them with hangers, spin the wheel again....this time shaking it slightly side to side....this will see if theres excess play in the wheel bearings....
If it still feels wonky, start at your trans. pulley, make sure its tight and theres no roughness or slop in your output shaft bearing.
If still nothing, look deeper into trans/engine unit....

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check and make sure your oil is topped off. Make sure your belt is adjusted for the right tightness, using a gauge. Make doubly sure your belt is tracking in the middle of the pulley and not rubbing on either side. After that, make sure your brakes are not dragging, both front and back. Make sure your wheels spin free when up on the lift. If you feel dragging, unbolt your calipers, support them with hangers, spin the wheel again....this time shaking it slightly side to side....this will see if theres excess play in the wheel bearings....
If it still feels wonky, start at your trans. pulley, make sure its tight and theres no roughness or slop in your output shaft bearing.
If still nothing, look deeper into trans/engine unit....
Many thanks for your reply... I'll go into all those checks...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After your advises (many thanks!), I did my oil check (correct type and level), but the noise continued... so I remembered somewhere in this forum I read about using silicone grease to get rid of the whinning noise, and did just that. Whinning is gone... simple solution.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
144 Posts
After your advises (many thanks!), I did my oil check (correct type and level), but the noise continued... so I remembered somewhere in this forum I read about using silicone grease to get rid of the whinning noise, and did just that. Whinning is gone... simple solution.
Can you elaborate?

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you elaborate?

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk
I began hearing a whinning noise after oil change, which associated with the oil type used (Bizol, 10W40). I went back to my usual oil brand, which improved shifting, but the whinning remained.

Somewhere here in the forum I read about using silicone grease to reduce noise from the drive belt, which I did last weekend and it worked just fine. No whinning now... I just sprayed it on the belt's teeth (if I can use that word)... the bike is now quiet... I used to get that noise when accelerating at relatively low RPMs in 4th or 5th gears...

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Spraying your belt is a temporary fix and may eventually cause more problems. Silicone attracts dirt and road grime which adds to wear and tear on the belt. The solvent will eventually cause the belt to get hard and brittle.

Fix the source of the squeal, don't mask the symptoms. Have you checked the belt tension? Kawi's specs for belt tension is way too tight. Most of the time, relaxing the belt tension to ~10 mm with 10 lbs of pressure will eliminate the squeal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Spraying your belt is a temporary fix and may eventually cause more problems. Silicone attracts dirt and road grime which adds to wear and tear on the belt. The solvent will eventually cause the belt to get hard and brittle.

Fix the source of the squeal, don't mask the symptoms. Have you checked the belt tension? Kawi's specs for belt tension is way too tight. Most of the time, relaxing the belt tension to ~10 mm with 10 lbs of pressure will eliminate the squeal.
What my good friend SabreT said! Any 'Wet' lube, outside on your bike will attract dust/dirt/grit that will wear your belt/sprockets.
The 1500/1600s are just plain noisey, period. 800/900s, also, but not as bad. The 1700s are a step up, they are quieter....some things were changed around....
Belts period are just plain noisey. Silicone belt dressing to quieten belts will make a vbelt not slip....but isn't necessary for the cogbelts....it has teeth that engage the teeth in the pulleys.
Blower belts whine, timing belts whine, so do belt drives on the rear of bikes.....
That whine should be at a minumum when your belt tension is adjusted properly....
By god folks, we ride motorcycles....if the chain whir gets too loud, or the rear drive belt, I image the best solution would be ear plugs....
You should've heard my Electra Glide and my ole Ultracycle fatpounder....both had belt drive primarys....sounded like they were turbocharged....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You know, you just put things in a different perspective... my belt I think is way too lose... I can move it about 40mm with my finger with no effort... I began noticing the noise shortly after riding with my wife (not a heavy person, but additional weight to what the bike is used to anyway)...

I just don't like the whinning, but will deffinitely follow your advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What my good friend SabreT said! Any 'Wet' lube, outside on your bike will attract dust/dirt/grit that will wear your belt/sprockets.
The 1500/1600s are just plain noisey, period. 800/900s, also, but not as bad. The 1700s are a step up, they are quieter....some things were changed around....
Belts period are just plain noisey. Silicone belt dressing to quieten belts will make a vbelt not slip....but isn't necessary for the cogbelts....it has teeth that engage the teeth in the pulleys.
Blower belts whine, timing belts whine, so do belt drives on the rear of bikes.....
That whine should be at a minumum when your belt tension is adjusted properly....
By god folks, we ride motorcycles....if the chain whir gets too loud, or the rear drive belt, I image the best solution would be ear plugs....
You should've heard my Electra Glide and my ole Ultracycle fatpounder....both had belt drive primarys....sounded like they were turbocharged....

Acknowledged...

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
You know, you just put things in a different perspective... my belt I think is way too lose... I can move it about 40mm with my finger with no effort... I began noticing the noise shortly after riding with my wife (not a heavy person, but additional weight to what the bike is used to anyway)...

I just don't like the whinning, but will deffinitely follow your advice.
Yeah, that's too loose. I think you may have found your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts