Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between a 2006 vn2000 and a 2010? I'm specifically wondering about electrical stuff, like... would I need to do the resistor mod to make it like my 2010, as well.. the up graded rear wheel bearings. I developed the second gear slip on mine, and I've found a '06 to buy for a good deal. I would like to transfer over all my parts to it.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
It is my understanding that 2006 models and up moved to the dual rear wheel bearings, so no issues there. The biggest difference will be ECU retardation. 2006-2007 models were the most bogged down and the one's that benefit least from the resistor mod. 2004-2005 were the least bogged and also have the most noticeable benefit to the mod. 2008-2010 models fell in between the other ECU numbers. That said, some have simply swapped out ECUs from one bike to another and reaped the benefits. Another option would be a custom ECU reflash. You could even swap out all your tins to keep that nice paint job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is my understanding that 2006 models and up moved to the dual rear wheel bearings, so no issues there. The biggest difference will be ECU retardation. 2006-2007 models were the most bogged down and the one's that benefit least from the resistor mod. 2004-2005 were the least bogged and also have the most noticeable benefit to the mod. 2008-2010 models fell in between the other ECU numbers. That said, some have simply swapped out ECUs from one bike to another and reaped the benefits. Another option would be a custom ECU reflash. You could even swap out all your tins to keep that nice paint job.

thanks for the quick reply Rod. the idea is to do exactly that, switch over all my custom parts to this new bike. another thing I have noticed is the engine is starting to smoke again, so it must have been the new plugs that was burning off the oil, and they're probably a little fouled. so between the cost of rebuilding the engine and the transmission, buying this bike seems the better deal. its listed @ $6288. I will then rebuild the engine and trans at my leasure.

this new bike comes with a programmer, which I don't have on my bike now.would it be compatible with my 2010 ECU I wonder?

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Programmers seem to be different for 2008-2010 models, at least the Power Commander, version 3 for 2004-2007, version 5 for 2008, I believe they can go back to 3 for 2009/10, but not positive.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Programmers seem to be different for 2008-2010 models, at least the Power Commander, version 3 for 2004-2007, version 5 for 2008, I believe they can go back to 3 for 2009/10, but not positive.

it comes with a dyno jet.... ill have to research that

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tampa is a little too far for me I had a look all across Canada, and it's a good price

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can the bug eye headlight be changed out for the round one?
I guess there's more to this question, because the ignition switch is in the headlight nacelle on the bug eye, and on the dash on my 2010. So is it possible to put my tins with dash, and 7" round head light on to a 06 with the bug eye

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aaannndddd another question, what if I plugged in my MPH speedo to a bike that has a KPH speedo? Could I just change the speedo in between the two dashes? One of the bikes I'm looking at has the dash with the fuel filler in it instead of on the tank. So to transfer my tins, I need to keep the dash I have, which has the speedo with MPH

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been done before.

But why?

At that point, just sell the bug eye and buy one with the normal head light...

Well.... here's the point. I just finished all my custom paint and custom work to my bike, added the HD front wheel and fender, fixed the ticking in the engine....only to have it start slipping in second gear. So for the cost of a rebuild on the trans and engine, I can buy another whole bike, which also usually come with a bunch of more accessories. Thing is, around here right now, the newest VN2000 is an '07. I'm really interested in an '06 and it has the bug eye nacelle.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K, I just bought an '06 classic with the same dash and headlight as mine, so everything will change over no issues. Only has 4900 miles, all stock, so I'm happy. Should be back up and riding by the middle of next week :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts