Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult a job is changing a cam chain on this bike?...i seem to think the cam chain is at the top of the engine whereas a mechanic has told me the engine has to be split further down the engine to do the job..İ dont know the guy or the engine ....so please tell me?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
de1amo,

Replacing the cam chain on this engine is a major repair. According to the Kawasaki Service Manual a COMPLETE disassembly of the engine IS required. This is because the cam chain is between the cylinders. BUT! I would not consider the cam chain as a failure item until we inspect several other things.

First, what is happening that you suspect the chain as being the cause? Is it a noise when the engine is running, sounding like a light knock? If so this noise could be caused by a slightly loose cam chain tensioner. This engine is notorious for this noise and your engine is at about the right mileage for this to happen. This particular noise is not bad for the engine at all. Search this forum for 'tensioner noise' for more information.

Both cam chain guides can be inspected from the top of the engine with the camshafts removed. Unless there is rubber missing from the guides I would consider them good and serviceable. If you really suspect that the guides are damaged you can remove the engine oil pan first and inspect its contents before removing the valve cover.

Lastly, IF the cam chain must be replaced there is a technique of separating the chain by removing a link pin, installing it around all the inside parts then reinstalling the link pin.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many thanks for the advice

Can you tell me if the same amount of work is necessary, if it is just a cam guide? ...is the cylinder split necessary...?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Can you tell me if the same amount of work is necessary, if it is just a cam guide? ...is the cylinder split necessary...?
Nope.I doubt it's the guides with that low mileage.The automatic tensonser tightens the chain automatically.The chain can get quite noisy just before the tensoner clicks to the next notch. ;) :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The rear cam chain guide is held in place by the cylinders so only the engine 'top end' needs to be removed.

The front cam chain guide is held in place by a pin that is held in place by another pin that is held captive by the lower crankcase. The crankcase *must* be separated to replace the front cam chain guide.

I still wonder why your concern about the cam chain guides. I rebuilt the engine of my 1997 Vulcan 500LTD at 108,000 miles (173,809km) and the cam chain guides were still serviceable. (In fact many of its components were still serviceable.) Is there way way you can take a sound or video recording of the bike running so that we may hear the sounds and help you troubleshoot this problem?

'Biker' Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts