Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a year Kawasaki fixed the innaccurate fuel gauge issue? I have a 2011 Classic 900. Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
To the best of my knowledge this problem has never been addressed by Kawasaki. I have a 2011 Classic SE and I have the same problem. I just usually go by the low fuel light, when that comes on I stop for gas and it usually takes right at 4 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I haven't installed the resistor. Sometimes the gauge on my '07 is accurate, more often it errs by showing less gas than is actually in the tank, and sometimes the gauge does both with the same tank of gas. Weird! I use my trip meter to determine when I need to fill up.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The sad truth is, bikes are setup like this to advertise "better" mpg numbers. The 170/80 rear tire is supposed to correct the speedo, thus correct the odo, too. If the speedo and odo are about 10% in favor of better mpg numbers (60 MPH indicated, 54 MPG actual), then the tire drops the mpg number by about 10%. My bike has the taller rear tire, and I am lucky if I see 150 miles before fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just got my 2009 Classic LT 1362 miles ago, but I have been monitoring the fuel gauge needle/low fuel light come-on and miles via the trip odometer. The low-fuel light comes on at around the 180 mile mark, but I fill the tank at 200. The needle on the gauge is solidly in the red-zone at 200 miles, also. So far, I have been putting in almost exactly 4.3 gallons in at that point, so I SHOULD have 1 whole gallon left in the tank or around 45 miles left until the tank dries up completely.:surprise:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes! This is the first time I let it go till the fuel light came on today (Just got the bike less than a month ago and have put nearly 600 miles on her). When I gasses up it took 4 gallons. I will need to address it...

·
Registered
166 Posts
less than 2 dollars and 20 minutes you can fix it. sticky tells how to do it. I went from stock 180/70 to 170/80 Michelin Commander 2 which is taller and looks wider on my Custom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all repliers...Will install 270 ohm 1/2 watt resistor this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts