Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I will be picking up my trunk rack on Wednesday morning right after work. I have read all (I think) the post where you guys have installed it and said it was a "piece of cake" just followed the instructions. Measured 20 times, etc....... I have been reading the instructions and planning ahead to do this with all the confidance in the world, but I do have a question..The instructions say to use the supplied (4) collar in the holes that is 9.8mm long. I am assuming this is to keep from crushing the lid. But 9.8mm does seem to be a bit long. Did you all use this collar or disregaurd it? Since I dont have my rack yet, I dont know the thickness of the plates and rubber dampers to add to the thickness of the trunk lid itself.
I guess I am just over thinking it here, but I want to be ready for any suprises, like will I need to shorten the collar or is it as simple as the instructions and you all state?
Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I used the collars and there were no issues. Remember that the collars go through the trunk plastic, the rubber washer, and two layers of the lid reinforcement. When I snugged down the screws everything was tight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One fail safe tip that I used when I installed mine.

Only drill the two holes closest to the seat first. You'll still have masking tape on the trunk lid indicating the four traced hole locations. Now mount the rack (not tight just snug) without the curved support pieces and re-trace the two rearward holes. This way you'll get an assured accurate fit for all four. Remove the rack and drill the final two holes.

Oh, and the collars are a perfect length as the previous poster said.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One fail safe tip that I used when I installed mine.

Only drill the two holes closest to the seat first. You'll still have masking tape on the trunk lid indicating the four traced hole locations. Now mount the rack (not tight just snug) without the curved support pieces and re-trace the two rearward holes. This way you'll get an assured accurate fit for all four. Remove the rack and drill the final two holes.

Oh, and the collars are a perfect length as the previous poster said.

Hope this helps.
I used the collars and there were no issues. Remember that the collars go through the trunk plastic, the rubber washer, and two layers of the lid reinforcement. When I snugged down the screws everything was tight.
Thanks guys, I have been reading the mounting instructions over and over to make sure I have no suprises sneek up on me. The collars are really my only question and from what ya'll are saying, I got nothing to worry about :D I look forward to my new addition to the bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never did get my rack installed last week due to the dreaded "honey-do-list" and WILL be doing it tomorrow. I have however thought of another question; How far back from the backrest pad are you measuring for mounting? An inch or so?
Thanks for your opinions and thoughts,
Frank

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is a bit farther back, didn't want overhanging items to hit the passenger. You've got a lot of flexability here.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com App
I mounted mine almost as you did. I am probably a tad bit closer forward. Install was a breeze, but I keep looking to see if I need to tweek it. Must be just because I am not use to seeing it there . I do like it though :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts