Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody has to be second...LOL
I bought a 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale some years ago, rode it for a few years and then stored it for 10 years. I quit riding it because it was just not me!!! Guys use to ask me things like; Did a woman design that bike? and Did your wife pick out your bike?
I have been riding V twins since I laid up the VR, and am currently riding a 2000 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1600cc, and I love it. I hated to see the old VR sitting in the garage so I decided to turn it into a bike I could live with. I stripped off the fairing, stereo, air compressor, etc, etc, and found a real motorcycle underneath.
The one thing that I liked about the VR, is that it was quick, and fast, and would blow the doors off the Gold Wing it was built to compete with. After all, it has the same engine as a VMax(without the radical camming and the V-boost intake of course).
The Nomad tank I bought on eBay turns the old VR into a mean looking bike. The old "Davidson" buddy seat with the chrome rail and fringe(another eBay purchase) doesn't look too shabby either. The Suzuki Velusia rear fender, brake light and direction signals, that I purchased on eBay, and are currently in the mail, should complete the picture.
Once all the body parts are assembled to my satisfaction, I am going to strip the bike to the bare frame, paint everything up, and reassemble it.
In order to get a low profile on the Nomad Tank I had to remove the four down draft carbs, air box, and filter, and narrow the top of the frame. I am building a log manifold which will run between the heads on the V quad', and have a side draft carb on each end(each side of the engine).
The one thing I have not worked out(that I know of), is how to get the proper signal from the front wheel cable drive, to the Nomad electronic speedometer.
I was hoping that there would be a Nomad Guru on this form, who could give me some insight into the solution I am looking for. When I know what I am working with, I'm sure that I can solve the problem, but I have no idea what kind of signal is required by the Nomad electronic speedo.
I just hope that the aforementioned Guru happens to read this post and take an interest.
Thanx for reading:
Quint

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
It's Alive! Alive! Frankenstein is Alive!

Somebody has to be second...LOL. I found a real motorcycle underneath. engine VMax. Nomad tank, Davidson seat, Velusia rear, all the body parts, narrow the frame.
Dr. Quintenstein, you are dabbling with the darkside. can you a mere mortal breath life into that beast, a compilation of parts dug up from the bone yard of the long ago deceased? Shall we warn all the villagers of the mayhem that you are about to unleash upon them? You'r sure to wreak havoc and mayhem where ever your creature shows itself, the women and children shall run screaming. I just hope your paint job is worthy of the monster you have created.

as for functional, beyond just the beating heart from that monster motor, electronic speedo's get their pickups from the transmission output shaft. Usually an embedded magnet is the pickup. Often this signal is fed to the ECU for other self diagnostic and control programs. Then the ECU is the signal generator to the electro speedo. its not as simple easy as the old noisy cable.

besides with all the towns folks with clubs and fire running at you, who cares how fast you are going... just go faster!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
electronic speedo's get their pickups from the transmission output shaft. Usually an embedded magnet is the pickup. Often this signal is fed to the ECU for other self diagnostic and control programs. Then the ECU is the signal generator to the electro speedo. its not as simple easy as the old noisy cable.
Ohhh Poncho:
Luckily a Vulcan guru found my post and got me clued in on the speed sensor. It does indeed take it's signal from the output shaft of the transmission, but it is not a simple magnet. It is a "hall effect" device which sets up a DC electrical field. The field is interrupted by the teeth of the rotating bevel gear on the drive shaft, the fluctuations in the field are read, by the ECU presumably, and displayed as MPH on the analogue speedometer. I am digging up the proper "hall" type sensor from the grave yard, but I will probably have to dig up a Kawasaki ECU as well, just to run the speedometer.

besides with all the towns folks with clubs and fire running at you, who cares how fast you are going... just go faster!
I'm not going to worry about the towns folk until the lightning flashes and I can finally yell "It's alive".
Quint

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check Dakota Digital

The one thing I have not worked out(that I know of), is how to get the proper signal from the front wheel cable drive, to the Nomad electronic speedometer.
I was hoping that there would be a Nomad Guru on this form, who could give me some insight into the solution I am looking for. When I know what I am working with, I'm sure that I can solve the problem, but I have no idea what kind of signal is required by the Nomad electronic speedo.
I just hope that the aforementioned Guru happens to read this post and take an interest.
Thanx for reading:
Quint

Dakota Digital has a conversion unit that will take the mechanical cable output and produce a electrical signal output. You might give them a call.

Here is a link to the adapter/converter.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=242/category_id=550/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd242.htm

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Dakota Digital has a conversion unit that will take the mechanical cable output and produce a electrical signal output. You might give them a call.

Here is a link to the adapter/converter.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=242/category_id=550/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd242.htm
His dilemma is 180º opposite of that. His bike puts out a dc/pulsed signal that needs be converted to either mechanical of useable pulse for the electronic speedo he acquired. I have seen many electronic speedo setups that used a magnet attached to the wheel and sensor mounted on swingarm or forks. Easily calibrated system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts