Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Yamaha guru's in the house? My son and I are working on a '81 XS400, turning it into a cafe racer, getting rid of everything that is not needed. At this point he's rebuilt the carbs, any advice on tuning them? I'm a carb idiot, lol! Another question is, if everything except headlight, taillight, and turns are removed does one really need a battery or are we risking stator damage? Right now it's kick only, the electric start button is missing and we don't plan on fixing it. It's nowhere near complete, but we're hoping for the 1st fire-up this weekend:D

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
The battery will be required.
Your best bet for the carbs is to obtain a service manual. You will have
many questions that the manual will answer, plus all of the adjustments and specifications will be listed.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda figured the battery would have to be there, but after watching way too many youtube vids of yami cafe racers without a battery, I had to ask, they're doing it, but it just don't seem right. We're waiting on the USPS to deliver the manual, my son found one and bought it, just playing the waiting game now!

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I would want a battery for safety purposes. The charging system may become unstable, particularly at low rpm and result in erratic operation of the ignition system.
If others are getting away with it, what can I say...but it would not be for me.
Be sure and post back with your progress!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch out for 2nd gear! There may not be enough HP in the XS 400 to matter. But Yamaha's are notorius for blowing tranny's. Not sure how the 2000's and up are. But I've had more than enough exper. w/Yamaha,ha,ha's :)
Never seemed to address the hi HP effects on the tranny. Especially is you miss 2nd a few times!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts