Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My friend bought a 2004 low mileage 2000. Got it home on a Sunday night and on Wednesday night a lady cut over from her lane in front of him to make a right turn. He hit her right rear.

The insurance is going to total the bike. I looked it over and I see the left frame rail needs replacement, the left engine guard is bent only at the bolt points and looks like it could be straightened. The front forks need replacement, the headlight is shot, the windscreen is broken. I am told the front driving lights are an aftermarket item.

He is wondering if it is worth buying back from the insurance company. We haven’t got a buy back price yet.

The bike is valued at $6500.00. Insurance estimate is around $5,000.0 to repair at the shop. I know I could replace the fork and pieces, I just don’t know the availability of the parts and if you guys think it is worth it .

Are the bags stock on these bikes or are they aftermarket ?

Any place that is known to have used parts ?If I could find one that was hit from behind and has good front parts it might be worth it.

It will end up with an Arizona salvage title that will diminish the value.

What do you all think ??

KIC

This is the night he brought it home.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vmXkDZ0sWz4/VDlwoIovrsI/AAAAAAAACEk/88Ma6sjRpWg/s400/IMG_1754.JPG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
This may vary from one company to the next, but Progressive totals the bike at 60% of value thinking they can sell or scrap for the remaining 40%. If you can buy the bike from them, this 40% of value will most likely be your cost before any repairs. Something else to consider.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
How mechanically inclined are you? This could be a great project bike. Parts can all be found on e-bay. The light bar is a National Cycle N-945 that sells for about $269.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could do the repairs. He can't. So like my wife just said to me...If you talk him into the buy back the repairs are all (me). My biggest concern is finding a front fork. The only way this would be worth it is to find good used parts to reinstall. I have found some on Ebay, but the forks are not showing up anywhere yet.

Also, are there different versions of the headlight ? I keep finding different headlights for the 2000 that are different.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
The cyclops headlight in the photos are from the VN2000 A and "Limited" models. The "Classic" used a standard round headlight. I have seen custom versions of the bike using HD forks and triple trees.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I could do the repairs. He can't. So like my wife just said to me...If you talk him into the buy back the repairs are all (me). My biggest concern is finding a front fork. The only way this would be worth it is to find good used parts to reinstall. I have found some on Ebay, but the forks are not showing up anywhere yet.

Also, are there different versions of the headlight ? I keep finding different headlights for the 2000 that are different.
kc, you could buy an intact Used v2k for less than it will take you to repair this one. This is why Insurance company totals bikes for a percentage of value. I dont think you can even buy it back as the I.C. has standing deals with salvage companies that give them a flat rate per wreck regardless, sometimes they take a hit, mostly they sell it for parts is where they make their profit.
AND even IF you could buy it back and restore it, the Title would be a WRECK salvage unit and forever have that Useless Value tag around its neck. in essence you are throwing good money after bad..
The only way to make any sense of a wreck is to buy it for salvage value and sell it for parts.. but then that is why salvage businesses exist. poncho

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if the bags are stock ?

If not he could at least keep them if the settlement does not include the value of the bags which are nice.

I am leaning heavily towards him taking the money and running. After all, he only paid $4200 and they are settling at $6500.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am leaning heavily towards him taking the money and running. After all, he only paid $4200 and they are settling at $6500.:rolleyes:
That's a 'no brainer'. He can get a replacement for that much. Many of us paid under $6000.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
If he is looking for a replacement, there is a super nice bike on the forums (bikes for sale), offered by Farmer2 right now at an excellent price. Check it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same decision to make when I wrecked my 04. Progressive offered it back to me for $2000. I declined because I was laid up for a while and I didn't have a shop to work on it at the time. I regret that decision big time. I would have parted it out, made my money back really fast, and had spare parts for my 09 that I replaced it with. The motor alone was worth the price. Lesson learned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts