Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys and girls, as I said I was going to... I got the exhaust wrapped on my 2011 3 month old now VV with almost 6k miles on it this morning.

Fairly straight forward and not that difficult to do. I used right at 36 feet of black wrap. The only issue of course were those shields. What a pain those were. You cannot get to on of the exhaust port bolt caps on the rear and one of the exhaust port cap bolts on the front with the shields in place. This looks to be due to the heat mods they did to help to force some of that air down by making mat of the shield act like a air deflector.

Anyway, I took them off no problem, it was the getting them back that was a pain and you just have to fiddle with the clamps until you get them where they need to be. I also replaces ALL of the stock clamps (radiator clamps) with larger in diameter new ones which mad it easier to fiddle with.

Bags off, mufflers off, shields off, exhaust pipe off in that order.

I wrapped the exhaust with black wrap I got off ebay. (no place here to get any). Not even a auto parts store.

I did a tight overlap and it went on easily enough. I have wrapped exhaust pipes before and see the pic below.

I put the exhaust pipe back on. Got the shields back on after a bit. Mufflers and bags back on.

As I have done this before I knew what to expect when you fire it uo, but I was surprised as how much quieter the (engine noise) on the exhaust was. Due to muffled noise in the exhaust pipe itself.

Anyway, when you start ia and as the pipes get hot... two things happen. It will smoke like hell and stink even worse. So I jumped on it and rode it down the highway to a junction 50 miles east in 5th gear at 85 mpf all the way and back. 100 miles..... at 85 5th gear. By the time I turned around at the junction it no longer smoked but still stunk like hell.

Back in town I rode around until the fan cam on and rode where it would stay on a bit.

Here I what I found. It was an 80-85 degree day here, going down the highway it never got past the center mark on the temp gauge. As all of us with the 1700 knows, when there is a wind from left to right, the heat coming out around that front exhaust is damn hot at any speed. Going out to the junction it was left to right. It was just warm, nothing like it normally is. And comping back the same with the air going right to left.

IN town I purposely rode slow in the high school parking lot until the fan cam on and then I just stopped. The same amount of air (volume wise) was coming out over the front exhaust, but,.... it was only warm, not hot enough to bake biscuits like it always is.

So..... that alone is telling me that a lot of the heat was coming from that bare metal exhaust pipe up front hidden behind that strangely designed shield.

So is wrapping your exhaust pipes the "miracle"cure? Not exactly.... but it appears to make a big difference. With that and hopefully the new air flow mods Kawa did on the 2012's, maybe, just maybe we will end up with a ride we will truly enjoy all summer long.

I recommend doing it of course. It takes a while for the stink to go away, but it will....

I was thinking about wrapping the tube going between the mufflers in front of the rear tire to get some heat away from the tire. You would need to put a rock shield on it facing the tire I think. I will try that at a later date. I do have a short straight chrome shield I can use, and that can be done in place.

DSCN0724.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you get the wrap wet before the install? It helps when its wet. Cuts down on all the fiberglass fibers getting everywhere. I have put the wrap in a 5 gallon bucket of water this also allows the wrap to stretch a bit. I think I may wrap my VV as well. I'm glad you are enjoying the results, anything we can do to cut down the heat on these bikes I will sure try.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know soaking helps, but I did not do that this time. I thought about painting it with hi temp paint (black) but could not find any here where I live and the nearest Wal Mart is over 200 miles away, or the nearest anything for that matter... Because eventually (soon) that black wrap will turn silver like they all do. Not too sure painting would help all that much actually.

Just got back from riding it around town some more... It seems to take longer for the temp to reach half way. The outside temp is 77 right now (just walked in from the ride). The temp of the shields are not as bad. They will still burn you if you touch them, but the skin does not instantly sizzle when you touch them now, with the fan running. You can actually hold the back of your hand against the from exhaust up at the port for a split second.... Before it would sizzle your skin just by getting up next to it without touching it.

As I said, it is not "the cure" but as all those others in here that have done it also have pointed out... it sure seems to help...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Were you able to reuse all the gaskets for the pipes? I am heading home next month and am planning on wrapping mine also. Houston is always hot it seems and I ride all yer long when I am home.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maxtech1........

Unless you go crazy taking things apart, you will not damage any gaskets. Does not hurt to have a spare set of exhaust port gaskets (the copper rings) but I have never had any leak and I have taken tons off exhaust pipes and mufflers of of motorcycles. Those soft silver gaskets on the mufflers should lat you a lifetime. I put over 25 sets of mufflers on my old Venture, taken the mufflers off and on all the time, put Harley mufflers on and off... ect... after 12 years and 140k miles, the muffler gaskets, (same as on th VV) were never changed and never needed changing.

I have a drawer full of spare copper port rings I have collected in 40 years. Don't remember what half of the go to any more. Only needed a couple of them once. On a KZ1000P police bike after I hit a dog that shot out between cars as I was running code, and bent the far left pipe coming out of the head up against the frame. Killed the dog however....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks, I think the heat issue comes down to 3 fixes.
1. Wrapping the exuast system.
Traps heat and forces it into lower pipes
2. Flushing out the paint particles in the radiator.
Opens passages and helpd cool heads better.
3. Adding a Scotts or Pro type reusable oil filter.
Increases oil flow to help cool engine.

I hope ot have all three done before my vacation ride next summer.

Also adding a new set of slip-ons (ie tri-ovals in my case) gets rid of the CATS and lowers temp some more.

Thanks again for the information and picture.

Greg
COP Airborne, Afghanistan

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I wrapped my pipes the other day as well and can only agree with every point Bubba made including changing the clamps of the existing shields. The bike is far more pleasurable to ride now takes longer to get past the centre point of the gauge and a lot quieter.

Like Bubba the is no auto place near where I live so I used a mixture of meal heat shielding and wrap. It still worked. Also I have wrapped metal shieding around the centre pipe and it seems to have reduced radiant heat when idling or slow traffic.

I would recommend wrapping to all your legs and passenger will thank you

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't know if everyone has seen pictures of the 2012 yet but here are two pics of the new radiator duct and rear box under the drivers seat left side of their new "air management system"..... the rear box looks like a fan assembly.... as soon as the dealership my daughter works at gets one in she will let me know.... also as soon as IF Kawa makes it a retro warranty thing. And if not.... how much the parts cost...

front.jpg

rear.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am thinking of taking the leg shields off in summer and adding them back in winter :cool:. Also have I been debating on adding the Vaquaro lower section to front of bike red and black to match (my son paints bikes:D). Looks nicer then the leg shields to me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks, I think the heat issue comes down to 3 fixes.
1. Wrapping the exuast system.
Traps heat and forces it into lower pipes
2. Flushing out the paint particles in the radiator.
Opens passages and helpd cool heads better.
3. Adding a Scotts or Pro type reusable oil filter.
Increases oil flow to help cool engine.

I hope ot have all three done before my vacation ride next summer.

Also adding a new set of slip-ons (ie tri-ovals in my case) gets rid of the CATS and lowers temp some more.

Thanks again for the information and picture.

Greg
COP Airborne, Afghanistan
i flushed and changed my coolant twice since new to get rid of these paint chips. what a poor design to put removable paint on the inside of the thermostat housing and anywhere else the paint is coming from. check out the size of these chips. i know over time these break down and get small in size but just knowing these were in there drove me crazy

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
If that is the size of the paint chips on the second flush what was the first one like? One of those chips would clog a passage in the radiator by it self. May have to take radiator off to reverse the flow through it on mine to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exhaust Wrap

What width of exhaust wrap did you use? There are various widths on EBAY. The vendors on EBAY seem to recommend 2 inch width. Was there any issues
with fish mouths as you went around the pipe? I have not used any of this exhaust wrap before. Thanks for the information. I have installed the Scotts oil filter and added Water Wetter and those things also make an improvement.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If that is the size of the paint chips on the second flush what was the first one like? One of those chips would clog a passage in the radiator by it self. May have to take radiator off to reverse the flow through it on mine to be sure.
I dried this one out, and this was the first flush. The chips were as brittle as thin burnt ash so I HOPE that the fluid pushes right through them

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2 inch wide from ebay.. I did the cross over today with some wrap I have had for several year, and put a 12 inch show chrome shield that I have had for at least 10 years on it.

Also my belt is still running in the center after a couple thousand miles since I tweaked on it...

DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0728.jpg

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
2 inch wide from ebay.. I did the cross over today with some wrap I have had for several year, and put a 12 inch show chrome shield that I have had for at least 10 years on it.

I read in another Kawasaki forum somewhere (I have forgotten where) that there is a wrap that allows or almost you to touch the surface when the pipes underneath are hot. The writer talked about a wrap they use on sprint cars and the like where the pipes are exposed and close to the drivers!

I confess :eek: I know nothing about exhaust wraps or heat shielding so does this type of wrap exist? or was the post crap.

If this type of wrap exists, what is it called and what problems eg cost, thickness rendering it useless for bike applications

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
558 Posts
You capitalize DEALER like it means something. I wouldn't let the majority of dealers touch my bike under any situation. The article may be a pitch for ceramic coating but I'm betting there are some truths in there as well. A losing argument is one that goes... "I've been doing it for a million years" That doesn't mean it's correct. As for the warranty, I simply asked if a dealer would cover it in the event that I eventually decided to wrap my headers and I had an issue. It seems a lot of people on this forum are wrapping their headers and I'm trying to get as much useful information about the technical pros and cons of doing this. I've read some posts that basically say, I don't know anything about wrapping exhausts but I'm doing it anyway. Just trying to get information about why trapping heat, dirt, moisture, inside/on the header pipe and not allowing any cool air around the pipe is a good thing for my exhaust/engine.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 39 Posts