Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrapped the pipes on my VV today and was surprised at how much it quietened it engine area noise down. I had thought it may do that some but my wife noticed it without me saying anything. She said "it's quieter now". Which is ok with me, now my V&H's sound is all out the back. I was able to turn the stereo volume down from 10 to 8 on the road now but this is also the first time I have got to ride since installing rear speakers. They make the stereo sound like you have a headset on now. It was so much cooler after the rain I couldn't tell much about the heat from the pipes but it sure seemed like it was better. I should have done this months ago...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I will be wrapping mine soon, material on order. I'm doing this primarily to cool down the area of my wife's right foot rest. She really complains how the heat burns her foot and ankle. I hope this makes a big difference in that area too. Can anyone confirm this helps the passenger as well?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's another reason I wrapped mine. She likes to wear shorts when she rides and the bare ankle got a little hot on her. Hopefully we'll get to go for a ride soon and find out if it helped any or not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
send some rain my way, sure could use some in central Illinois. Haven't had any worth mentioning since mid April, but makes it able to get lots of riding in :)

My wife too is a short and sandals wearing fair weather rider... and complains about the heat... go figure. But at least she likes to ride and I like her company.

I too am hoping wrapping the pipes will be a 'should have done months ago' too. Just like the grips I have on order from Racinray and his throttle mod. Everyone raves on them so I got them coming too.

Trying to make a great ride better!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
almsy..... yes the wife noticed the same thing (heat) and now says there is none on her ankle.....

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bubba... I can't win it seems. We went for about an 80 mile ride today in the hottest part of the day and the wife wore long pants and sandals. She said her right ankle was roasting! It seems there is still too much heat coming off the area of the rear pipe next to her right ankle for her. Any ideas? Now I must admit she is going through that time of her life that she has terrible hot flashes too. She may just have to ride more when it cools down a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Did you wrap the area where the two pipes come together real well and also the cross-over pipe?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, in fact I put more there than just the 1/2 overlap. I also used all of the left over on the crossover pipe to the left side. So it is 4 layers instead of 2.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Yes, in fact I put more there than just the 1/2 overlap. I also used all of the left over on the crossover pipe to the left side. So it is 4 layers instead of 2.
Yeah, I did the same thing. I feel very LITTLE heat comming off the right side now. In fact there's more heat comming off the clutch cover than the pipes.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah me too. I was just trying to get it better for her too. I can tell a difference for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Here are pics of the pipes after I wrapped them.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Very well done, good job.:)

Perhaps she could wear some kind of socks.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I did that between the rains we were getting at the time. I keep the bike in my enclosed trailer so I just did it right there except for going to the vice to hold it still.

Yeah I told her if she covered them she would be better off. Bad times for her. :(

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
daddy mac..... sandals?????????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I would never let my wife wear those or shorts riding with me (or anyone else riding with me. (same bike)... we do gloves year round too. Road rash and engine burns happen all the time...

You did a great wrap job by the way........

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks, I did that between the rains we were getting at the time. I keep the bike in my enclosed trailer so I just did it right there except for going to the vice to hold it still.

Yeah I told her if she covered them she would be better off. Bad times for her. :(
Wrap her ankle with the left over wrapping tape:))

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bubba...I would never let my wife wear those or shorts riding with me (or anyone else riding with me. (same bike)... we do gloves year round too. Road rash and engine burns happen all the time...

Point well taken, But she likes to be comfortable when she rides so I let her ride her way. Besides she bought the bike...lol. And thanks on the wrap job too.

RogerE...Wrap her ankle with the left over wrapping tape)

lol I used all the left over on the crossover pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I wonder if you could make sandals out of the wrap?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts