Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning our "group" was in the annual 4th of July parade. The temp was around 85. The parade route is almost 3 miles in length and as this is election year ALL the politicians got to talk for 90 seconds when they got to the review stand.

It took about a hour and 15 minutes to go 3 miles.

In our group, 2 HD's, A Honda Magna, Victory Vision, and Yamaha Vstar Classic 1100 dropped out because it got too hot for them.

My temp gauge stayed at 3/4 and the fan was running all the time of course. But my legs never got hot or even overly warm during that entire time.

So.. hooray for wrapping pipes.

All of that done with one of those nasty care tires on the rear.... how bout that?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Well, HOW ABOUT that??? Care tire and all.
Glad I wraped mine as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The wrapping of pipe works . do the coolant and I went one step further put a Lenale coolant fan on . On the left side were the air filter was when it start to run warm flip switch and starts. it sound like it spooling up start to cooling down

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rusty.....

Just got back from 9 days there. We bought a 40 year old house that was trashed when it was re-po'd... lotta work.

I will be coming back in 4-5 weeks and stay a month or so getting contractors lined up. Not like it is here, I can do anything I want to the house, no permits or building codes, do anything no contractors...

I will probably bring one of the scoots with me. Don't know which one yet.

Kawi2011 you got any pics? I think that was the fan we put on the side of the patrol Harleys. We replaced the horn with it. We never used the stock horn anyway. When we hit the horn button the air horn sound would come out of the siren speaker. If I could find a place to put the siren speaker I would do it on my Voyager. I have two complete 1000 watt siren systems... the speaker weighs about 20 pounds.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The wrapping of pipe works . do the coolant and I went one step further put a Lenale coolant fan on . On the left side were the air filter was when it start to run warm flip switch and starts. it sound like it spooling up start to cooling down
Please post pictures of the fan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where did you get the wrap for the pipes. More info would be helpful, as my is very hot when its been in the high 90's here..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Where did you get the wrap for the pipes. More info would be helpful, as my is very hot when its been in the high 90's here..

Nothing local so I ordered my exhaust wrap from Amazon, I used 2" x 50' DEI black wrap: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010108-Black-Exhaust-Wrap/dp/B000BRNF68[/ame] It took all 50' to do my Vaquero's header, I'm still planning on wrapping the left pipe crossover on my V&H slash cuts and adding a heat shield to protect the wrap.

I used stainless steel cable ties and soaked the wrap before I started wrapping. Once done I took a 40 mile ride and next day I put the heat shields back on, this is right before I installed them:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Awesome! Just placed the order and now to get the ss ties... Looking forward to trying this to reduce some heat issues..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where did you find the ties in stainless steel?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Tractor Supply Company usually has them . . .

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
So.. hooray for wrapping pipes.

All of that done with one of those nasty care tires on the rear.... how bout that?
Hey Bubba,
I am planning on upgrading to the VV in the fall. I am looking at the 2012s for the KAMS system; but would love to pick up a holdover 2011 or 2010. I have read about wrapping the pipes, water wetter, etc.

If you spend some time riding in S. TX this summer with the temps tickling the triple digits; I would love to hear another 'update' on the 'heat' issue.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

·
Registered
894 Posts
Scott - I have a 2011 - Haven't wrapped the pipes yet, but in the DC area have been at or about the 100 mark quite a bit lately . . . During Rolling Thunder the air was Hot, but I was more focused on the heat of the air than the heat of the bike . . . Yes there were a couple of times that I thought I felt some heat from the big V-Twin I was sitting on - Last weekend had a benefit ride - it was triple digits with thick humid air . . . Again I never felt the burning of the bike - My Jeans were soaked from sweat, not burned by the bike - So far my only mods that would have any effect are synthetic oil and a K&N Air Filter . . . Just open the lower vents and Ride ON!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Scott - I have a 2011 - Haven't wrapped the pipes yet, but in the DC area have been at or about the 100 mark quite a bit lately . . . During Rolling Thunder the air was Hot, but I was more focused on the heat of the air than the heat of the bike . . . Yes there were a couple of times that I thought I felt some heat from the big V-Twin I was sitting on - Last weekend had a benefit ride - it was triple digits with thick humid air . . . Again I never felt the burning of the bike - My Jeans were soaked from sweat, not burned by the bike - So far my only mods that would have any effect are synthetic oil and a K&N Air Filter . . . Just open the lower vents and Ride ON!
Napom,
That is good to know.
I have ridden the 2012, and if there was a heat issue before; the KAMS took care of it.
I see some 2010s OTD for 15800; and I hear the Costco/Kawasaki purchase program will get you a 2012 OTD for 17400.
Getting a holdover may open up my options.:D

Scott

·
Registered
894 Posts
Napom,
That is good to know.
I have ridden the 2012, and if there was a heat issue before; the KAMS took care of it.
I see some 2010s OTD for 15800; and I hear the Costco/Kawasaki purchase program will get you a 2012 OTD for 17400.
Getting a holdover may open up my options.:D

Scott
Shop around - I got My 2011 ABS a year ago (in 3 days) for 15,153 OTD . . . Shop around and work em down!:D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Shop around - I got My 2011 ABS a year ago (in 3 days) for 15,153 OTD . . . Shop around and work em down!:D
Sounds good!
I haven't started the haggling process yet.

Scott

·
Registered
192 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts