Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrapped the pipes on my 09 nomad yesterday. The teardown was easy but the actual wrapping with fiberglass wrap required assistance from my wife and son but worked out pretty well. Given what I had read here on this Forum I was ready for replacing the heat shields to be a total pain which it was until I got the first clamp to slide over the first heat shield tab then it moved quickly. One tip I'd like to pass along. When running the engine after the wrap is completed, don't suck in too much of the smoke as it can irritate your respiratory system. I know what you're thinking and yes, my face was way to close to the pipes but the smoking was pretty cool. :)

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
After you get it back together from wrapping you need to find a highway and haul ass for 30 miles one way while the wrap burns in. It will look and smell like you are on fire... then it will still stink for a while...

Apparently the Voyager is the "one" with me most pronounced heat on the legs issue. It has terrible air flow in and around it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I wrapped the pipes on my '13 Voyager. Just removed the heat shields and wrapped them on the bike. From the head to the mufflers on both sides. Wasn't a hard job. I think it made a difference. Really didn't have a complaint before. You can still smell it a little and its been a while. I guess I did it because so many people were saying to do it. And I wanted to try it anyway. And no, I wouldn't jump off a cliff just because everyone else was doing it..LOL

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Pilot.. yours has the air kit... mine does not... I was going to get the kit but after I wrapped the pipes I did not need it...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
And you say that...why?

Because it doesn't have a lower fairing?
Mostly, the only time heat is a real issue for me on the Nomad is at a long red in 90+ heat. The heat hangs around a lot longer after you are moving on the Voyager.

The wrap does stink every time you ride it but it does get less each time until the smell goes away completely.

·
Registered
235 Posts
:sweat:Living in Phoenix Az the temp was 112 degrees today. On the blacktop highways it is 120 degrees. Somehow I don't think wrapping my pipes will help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any suggestions on what wrap to use, are there better ones or are they all about the same, also I have seen various width of wrap, what size did you guys use?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Any suggestions on what wrap to use, are there better ones or are they all about the same, also I have seen various width of wrap, what size did you guys use?
It has been a while but the 2" Titanium like this
is what I used. If you shop around you can buy the wrap and the ss ties cheaper than a kit and have a bunch of the ss ties left over for other projects. The 14"
ss ties work better because you can wrap them around twice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts