·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On the original Valk, it was actually a slightly modified, beefed up version of the GL1500 engine (had 6 carbs and I think different valve tuning) making a bit more power.

Dunno if this engine will be the same (a beefed up/tuned version of the Goldwing engine). But the GL1800 engine is 96hp and 104 lb/ft of torque at the rear wheel with a nasty flat torque curve (almost 90lbs as soon as you twist the throttle). The 1800 Goldwing will do 0-60 about half a second faster than a Porsche 911 Turbo. So this Valk, whether the engine is modified or not, is gonna be insane.

Looks better than the old Valk, too.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I am all for futuristic cool looking bikes... this one in my opinion is butt ugly!

I'm sure if I could ride it, I wouldn't give a hoot about the looks. :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The styling to me puts it in the over the top not quit functional group.

The first thing I noticed, besides the gill looking things over the radiators, was the placement of the turn signals. With the blacked out handle bars and down tubes it probably looks like a cartoon Aardvark coming at you and with the turn signals that high how will a windshield ever work.

I know these things will make some people very happy and they will be die hard fans and yes I would like to ride one but I don't see one sitting next to the Nomad any time soon.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The styling to me puts it in the over the top not quit functional group.

The first thing I noticed, besides the gill looking things over the radiators, was the placement of the turn signals. With the blacked out handle bars and down tubes it probably looks like a cartoon Aardvark coming at you and with the turn signals that high how will a windshield ever work.

I know these things will make some people very happy and they will be die hard fans and yes I would like to ride one but I don't see one sitting next to the Nomad any time soon.
Well I'm actually in the same boat. The riding position isn't quite for me, and spec-for-spec, I think the V2K would be a better power cruiser.

But, it's still an iconic, game changing bike making a comeback with a pretty awesome powerplant. And just the sheer fact that it's a motorcycle with a 6 cylinder boxer engine is pretty stinking cool.

It's kind of like those new park assist things on some Fords, BMW's and other models. Cars that park themselves. It's really neat, and an awesome feat of engineering because it WORKS. And it's smart! However, it's nothing I'd ever use or own! I RARELY parallel park (Maybe 2 or 3 times in my lifetime?) Despite that, I was pretty good at it those last couple of times! (Once you know the technique it's like riding a bicycle). Either way, it's a silly feature; but I can appreciate the engineering!

The Valk is a bike that is probably going to be in the $17k range, that doesn't have the torque of the V2K, the horsepower of a big sportbike, or the cruise control, storage, and suspension of a touring bike. Nor is it light, classic looking and rumbly like a proper 'cruiser' (Any of the non-fairing Vulcans, a Heritage Softail or Fatboy, etc. etc.). It'll definitely sell, but it creates it's own category, really. But there are a lot of compromises that I just don't think are cancelled out by the engine. But there are lots of guys who think it does!

Still an awesome bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Kinda looks like the Rune, or maybe little brother! The Rune was an awesome bike but before it's time. I would like to see that come back. Can't say I like this one. Thanks for sharing the pic though. I haven't seen this before now.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well I'm actually in the same boat. The riding position isn't quite for me, and spec-for-spec, I think the V2K would be a better power cruiser.

Bingo. The v2k motor in a voyager or a Nomad sign me up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda looks like the Rune, or maybe little brother! The Rune was an awesome bike but before it's time. I would like to see that come back. Can't say I like this one. Thanks for sharing the pic though. I haven't seen this before now.
It essentially is the Rune. The rune was kind of a one-off, special order only bike to showcase the 1800cc flat-6 that Honda had developed. Something to get headlines to draw crowds to the Goldwing.

Now it's just been tweaked and teased into a full production bike that'll actually be on the dealers lots, and at a good price. It'll be the cheapest in the line, with the F6B being a couple grand more and the full-on Goldwing GL1800 a few grand above that.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I really liked the look of the old Valkyrie; the Rune was pretty sharp too.

I don't mind this re-incarnation; but it reminds me of the F6B. Which is already a pretty slim market.
They should have used less tupperware and added some chrome.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really liked the look of the old Valkyrie; the Rune was pretty sharp too.

I don't mind this re-incarnation; but it reminds me of the F6B. Which is already a pretty slim market.
They should have used less tupperware and added some chrome.

Scott
I agree. The old Valk was a way cooler bike. But any 6 cylinder motorcycle with what must be 4 second or below 0-60 is gonna be cool.

I'm a chrome guy though!

·
Registered
175 Posts
It essentially is the Rune. The rune was kind of a one-off, special order only bike to showcase the 1800cc flat-6 that Honda had developed. Something to get headlines to draw crowds to the Goldwing.

Now it's just been tweaked and teased into a full production bike that'll actually be on the dealers lots, and at a good price. It'll be the cheapest in the line, with the F6B being a couple grand more and the full-on Goldwing GL1800 a few grand above that.
Yup, that's the bike! Thanks for sharing the picture.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Honda has lost touch with the cruiser market - to call this a cruiser is like calling a scooter a motorcycle . . .

This is just a naked F6 . . . Bring back the real Valk and they would get their customer base back . . . I would definitely ride a 2014 Valk Interstate 1800 . . . Unfortunately, the Original Valk line, with the Interstate full touring bike cut into the prized Gold Wing sales too much so Honda canned it rather than compete with themselves and please a bigger customer base . . . With this one being part of the "Gold Wing" line, they don't have that worry

Honda gave up[ on cruisers when they discontinued the VTX and 1100 Sabres/Spirits and put all their eggs in the Fury/Stateline . . . If I wanted a Honda Cruiser now, I would have to get the 750 - the only true cruiser in their line up . . .Which is why I ride a Voyager . . .

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think it's ugly also , that rear fender is just awful.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Napom you're right. After my wife got her Shadow Aero (VTX750), I really kind of wished they had a real, honest cruiser. The shadow pretty much is the only one they have, but it's very small (great for a short rider like my wife though). But it's peppy, smooth, very responsive, handles well, has great brakes; and is smooth as butter going down the road! I would love a 'Shadow' in the 1500+ cc range with OEM hard bags and a fairing (and a trunk too!). But I guess that would encroach on goldwing sales. But the 3-valve, dual spark plugs per cylinder V-Twin is just such an awesome engine. It's a shame they aren't realizing the potential of, what I think, is one of the best cruisers you can buy (ignoring it's small size and light weight).

Honda V-Twin reliability is legendary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts