Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got the '500 out today for the first time in 20 months. Woohoo! Had to turn around because of black skies. It has been a long time since I've been on her and my hearing aids have been adjusted since then. Would you folks kindly listen to the below video and see if anything seems amiss? Valves were JUST adjusted. I *think* it's a healthy clatter, but it's hard for me to tell. I'd sure appreciate a 2nd (or 3rd..) opinion.

Also, holy crap, she's much faster than I remembered!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Phreon,

Congrats on getting it back on the road. The noise I am hearing in your video sounds like the timing chain tensioner and can be ignored.
It does sound like it is idling much faster than it needs to be. Try slowing it down.
Here is a video of Sioux (formerly Son of Hidalgo) for comparison:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Phreon,

Congrats on getting it back on the road. The noise I am hearing in your video sounds like the timing chain tensioner and can be ignored.
It does sound like it is idling much faster than it needs to be. Try slowing it down.
Here is a video of Sioux (formerly Son of Hidalgo) for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6KU8N5NRs
Is that a sort of rattly, slapping sound? What the heck forces the mechanism to actually click over? Slop from accelerating/decelerating? I've been reluctant to fiddle with the tensioner
unless it becomes necessary.

I'll back the idle down a bit. It's supposed to be 1300 RPM, but I have nothing that'll get a reading off of the Vulcan's uneven firing.

Of course 5 miles into my 1st ride in a long time, it began to rain!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yep. That slappy sound is exactly what iit is. I wouldn’t worry about fiddling with the tensioner. It is spring loaded and not really adjustable. What causes it to click over is wear in the timing chain. The way it will happen is that you will start the engine one cool morning and while waiting for it to warm up the engine will suddenly become quiet again. Hidalgo has had it happen many times.

Regarding idle speed see if you can make it sound like the one in the video of Sioux.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts