Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to my 2010 Nomad. I have always wanted one of these. Would anyone like to give me their recommendations as to which brand, Kawasaki or otherwise?.
I am not much of a electrical person, so I would hope that they are kind of plug and play, or do they involve much wire splicing or other means of hookup?
I suppose the Kawi brand is the most expensive.
Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just purchased and installed the Kawi lightbar. If you shop around you can get a good price on it. Really not that much more than off brands.

The fit and finish are second to none. Very very nice and looks like it came from the factory.

The install is very easy. There are 3 connections. Left and right turn signal plug into an existing plug. Power comes off of your headlight. There is a connector you snap onto the headlight wire. It pierces the wire and taps power. I would estimate it took me 30 minutes to install.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've had the Kawi lightbar on my 1500 for 5 years. Still looks new. I had to replace the switch this summer ($7.95), other than that, no issues.

Mine is wired to the auxiliary line under the tank. I wanted it on its own line 'cause my last bike blew a fuse one night out on the freeway and I lost ALL my lights. That sucked. Now if I lose one set of lights I still have the other. The only down side is my lamps have to be turned on and off manually, but small price to pay as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the OEM Kawi lightbar installed on my Nomad a week after I picked up the bike. The dealer installed it for "free" even with a 10% discount on it. But with a new scoot I was happy to have the dealer install it as any issue will be on them and they can't blame me for faulty installation. Probably would have gotten a bigger discount if I installed it myself. But it sure does look nice and the mounting is nicely integrated into the fork.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have the kawa light bar. looks and fits good. Only issue is signal lite bulb holders came loose inside the housing. I ended up using a bit of loctite on them the second time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I installed the Kawi light bar and it's a snap to install. It's plug and play! Just unplug the old (turn signal bar) and plug in the new. Also unlike some others, the turn signals are included and already installed on the light bar so you don't have to rob them off of the old turn signal bar. :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys, I guess I'll check with my dealer after all. I was told that they would give 10% off within the first year for accessories
Take care, Eric

·
Registered
381 Posts
Kawi lightbar design flaws

I got the Kawasaki light bar for mine, It's an easy install but the build quality of the turn signals is poor IMO. The ground wire of each bulb is barley soldered to the bulb housings and some what of a fragile connection. It can snap or just vibrate loose causing the them to blink erratically and even mess with your instrument panel. I spent this weekend re soldering it which wasn't easy given the application but I am hoping it sticks this time *crosses fingers*. Would also like to add that if you are changing bulbs make sure to be very careful tightening the screws. The plastic turn signal covers are somewhat brittle and can crack easily.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The plastic turn signal covers are somewhat brittle and can crack easily.
I think all stock metric covers are. I hit a pothole (didn't see it until too late and couldn't maneuver) and slung one cover completely off earlier this year on my VTX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts