Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently totaled my Vulcan Voyager (thanks to all who have prayed and cheered me on during my recovery). I'm not in the bike market, but I've been casually looking around to see what's new in the touring bike world.

I like the looks of the big Harley's, particularly like the Road Glide Ultra. Used ones are going for $20k on up. Yamaha makes a nice V4 touring machine, but I'd rather have FI than carberators, and I hate the dashboard on the bike. Suzuki makes some nice bikes, but I can't find one with ABS, FI, and a trunk in one package.

I like the Indians a LOT, but few used ones are on the market and they're awfully pricey. The Victorys are good bikes, but I can't get past the Flash Gordon ray gun shape. Goldwings are wonderful bikes but I've got a hip condition that prevents me from sitting on one.

Bottom line, if I were buying again I'd probably get another Voyager or a Vaquero. Lots of nice features, incredible bang for the buck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would agree with you. Always had nomads up until 2010 when I purchased a new Road King. It got totalled in Oct./14 and just picked up year end 2013 Nomad. I always thought that Kawasaki was a good bang for the buck, certainly cheaper to maintain with more stock features than my RK. I have never owned a Vacquero or a Voyager but am looking for the demo days at my dealer to try them out. Who knows?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
When I got my Voyager, it came down between that and an 08 Vision, I actually like the looks. It had features I would like on the Voyager that it either dont have or you just cant get, heated grips and seat, power adjusting shield, and electric reverse. It was 5yrs old vs new Voyager, but 1/2 the price. Got 2500 off msrp on it plus warranty and ABS, had the cash and rode it home. When the time comes to give up 2 wheels, a Voyager or Vision trike we be on my watch list. For the money, just cant beat the Vulcans.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Kawi offers you more for your money in a touring scoot than anyone out there. I love my Vic, but the Vaquero price point made me sit on one more than once when I was shopping.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I recently totaled my Vulcan Voyager (thanks to all who have prayed and cheered me on during my recovery). I'm not in the bike market, but I've been casually looking around to see what's new in the touring bike world.

I like the looks of the big Harley's, particularly like the Road Glide Ultra. Used ones are going for $20k on up. Yamaha makes a nice V4 touring machine, but I'd rather have FI than carberators, and I hate the dashboard on the bike. Suzuki makes some nice bikes, but I can't find one with ABS, FI, and a trunk in one package.

I like the Indians a LOT, but few used ones are on the market and they're awfully pricey. The Victorys are good bikes, but I can't get past the Flash Gordon ray gun shape. Goldwings are wonderful bikes but I've got a hip condition that prevents me from sitting on one.

Bottom line, if I were buying again I'd probably get another Voyager or a Vaquero. Lots of nice features, incredible bang for the buck.
You keep looking so you are still interested. Very sorry for what happened to you. Hopefully, someday you will feel good enough to try riding again.

I rode my Vulcan 900 for over 50,000 km and have just 2,500 km on my new Vaquero. Looking forward to many great times on this bike. For my money, this Candy Burnt Orange and Ebony Vaquero is a great value, and looks awesome!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Jones'n

Admit it man your not even completely healed up yet and your Jones'n for another bike.

When you can't stand it any more give me a call. As long as I have a spare you have something to ride

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
If I was looking for a shine and ride on Saturday bike that I could take passengers, I would look at the new chieftain. I wouldn't consider it a full up touring bike though. It was a nice ride with great features.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am waiting for a new Yamaha Venture with a de tuned V-max motor.I still love V-4 configurations.If Yamaha had updated their venture line up I would of went that route but the modern styling and features of the Voyager will tie me over til then.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If I was looking for a shine and ride on Saturday bike that I could take passengers, I would look at the new chieftain. I wouldn't consider it a full up touring bike though. It was a nice ride with great features.
I had much the same take away on the chieftain myself but I really liked the power windshield.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
big chief injun

I had much the same take away on the chieftain myself but I really liked the power windshield.
Tinks,, piked up a new 14 last October s/n 837 of first 1901 run. Piks r at other cycles "stable mates". Itsa tite motor, engineered by Polaris beyond what they've done with the Vic's. First ride home 10days 3k smiles. Big chief injun. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Great lookin scoot Ponch, bet thats why you aint been on here you been talkin to all them Injuns.

·
Registered
864 Posts

So Dale since you had a VV there must be something you didnt like hence the question. I had 2010 VV for 8 months, sold it. Just enjoy riding the V2K, I TRIED to like the Voyager and took a huge loss when i sold it. Go test out one of these monsters. They can be bought right.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
ta-kid
Rumor has it the new Venture will be 2 cylinder 1600 or 1700......... but at least it will be FI...... maybe....

I put 240k on the one I traded in on my Voyager... I still think the Venture is a better scoot (as far as the ride is concerned. a lot more room), but the only thing they changed in 10 years since I bought mine was the color... no other improvements. Like FI....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I feel the same way. I bought my 900 because I didn't know much about the various brands and it seemed like a good way to go based on the research I did. Now that I know a lot more about motorcycles and have 'window shopped' and really kept up with the motorcycle world for a couple of years; it'd be hard to look seriously at something beyond another Vulcan.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Dale since you had a VV there must be something you didnt like hence the question.
No bike is perfect. I didn't like the VV sitting configuation until I got a backrest and risers. Just before I wrecked, I removed the risers and bought a used Corbin seat (really sits a LOT lower!). The heat was an issue until I bought the KAMS, but that cleared it up completely. Aftermarket support is limited but growing. Other than that, I was completely happy with the VV.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Don't tell me the new Venture won't have the cassette player???

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I am willing to bet it will..... even had the CD player in mine, didn't use it much... I skipped on rough roads...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well if the Venture does go v-twin I hope they go with the 1900 out of the strat or raider.Thats a great torque monster motor.But man I hope they keep a v-4 in her.That v-max engine is a work of Art to look at but they would have to re tune for mileage and torque.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd like to ride my new vv bought it just before Christmas and weather has not cooperated only got 14 miles on it....note to self never by a new bike in the wintertime if you live we're it gets colder than your age.... Note #2 never live anyplace it gets colder than your age

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've sort of gone a different route. If I were to go back to a touring type of bike again, I'd get a Nomad. I just like that bike. Just wouldn't pull a large trailer with it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts