Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this common? Stand would sag to the point of engaging the stand switch which shuts down the engine when in gear. The bolt was worn way down. The stand was worn down on the inside. Even the frame tab was worn off really bad. Took everything apart. Welded up all effected parts and reground them to proper tolerances and reassembled them with a good amount of marine grade heavy grease and a new bolt and lock nut. Took about 45 minutes to fix but the whole time I was wondering what others who don't have the tools to work with do. I would hate to think what a dealer would do.

BTW this is an 07 that had 13,000 on it when I got it. I put over 4,000 on it in less than 8 weeks so I may well never have this problem again.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's wild. Mine has 20,000 on it and the kickstand works like new. Spray a little grease in there once in a while. Still pops back up into place!

Is it possible yours got damaged somehow, rather than worn?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No damage. Just literally worn out. Even the bolt hole was elongated half again more than normal.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Strictly lack of lube, I would suspect. Keep the pressure washer away from there too.
Just curious, but what all should be lubed? I hit it with a shot of grease when it doesn't "spring into action", anything else? I just spray it I don't take anything apart or anything.

·
Registered
537 Posts
No grease, Loose hardware, lots of vibration !

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
When servicing my '07 900 I oil the stand pivot bolt area and work the oil into the bolt, wiping off the excess, and apply grease to the spring ends at their attachment points. Everything still works as when new.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In retrospect this is a rather common issue and not just with 900s or even Kawasaki but with a lot of different bikes. Found old threads on this very forum dealing with this same subject. Seems to be common practice to drill the tab oversize and sleeve a new bolt. Sounds like a Mickey Mouse way to fix a symptom to me rather than fix the whole problem. I would suggest everyone pick up an aerosol can of marine grade lithium (or the lube of their choice) and give the stand a shot anytime they think about it just to avoid future problems.

Pacomutt mentions not to use a pressure washer. Good Lord! I can't imagine the effects of that but I'm willing to bet the kickstand would be the least of your worries after that. :eek::D

·
Registered
29 Posts
In retrospect this is a rather common issue and not just with 900s or even Kawasaki but with a lot of different bikes. Found old threads on this very forum dealing with this same subject. Seems to be common practice to drill the tab oversize and sleeve a new bolt. Sounds like a Mickey Mouse way to fix a symptom to me rather than fix the whole problem. I would suggest everyone pick up an aerosol can of marine grade lithium (or the lube of their choice) and give the stand a shot anytime they think about it just to avoid future problems.

Pacomutt mentions not to use a pressure washer. Good Lord! I can't imagine the effects of that but I'm willing to bet the kickstand would be the least of your worries after that. :eek::D
Hey there! I just finished reading through and believe i might be having the same issue.

I am not a welder but i have a buddy who has a machine shop. Do you think its wise to take it to a dealer to have the repair made or should i see if my buddy can make the repairs?

I have tools just not a welder...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your dealer is like the dealers here........there's a reason folks do their own work. One piece of advice; unhook the battery before you do any welding and keep the ground on the tab close to where you're welding. The hole will have to be at least partially filled in then redrilled. The bottom side of the tab has to be built up then ground down also. On mine the inside of the stand fork itself also had to be built up and recut. The stand is threaded on the inside for the bolt to screw into with a jamb nut on the back. New nut and bolt comes from the dealer. Got mine from http://www.ronayers.com/ Simple fix if you have the junk and the know how. Like I said, took my dumb self about 45 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts