Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sobering to say the least. I worked for General Motors for 30 years in manufacturing engineering, 18 of those years in the Metro Detroit area. When the economy was strong Detroit was in steady decline. It almost defies imagination how bad things are there today. Take a look at what Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like today (modern, gleaming, vibrant cities) and you would never believe who won World War II.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
They tried to hold an Indy car race on the streets of Detroit this weekend at the power and leverage behest of Roger Penske and had to stop the race because the streets fell apart . . .

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the UAW killed Detroit, it's like a balloon that gets bigger and bigger then busts, wage increase upon increase upon increase, business can't afford paying $65 an hour anymore to union workers to make a car that is just junk, the UAW just got too big and cars are now being made elsewhere where it costs less

·
Registered
643 Posts
dirt city had been in steep decline since the riots of the 60's. Mayor Coleman Young made sure of it by making it impossible for people to sell thier houses such that they just walked away from them. then all the empty "free" houses were occupied by those who had no skin in the game and couldnt care less how dilapidated they became. drugs n crime was the most profitable bizness. and when it had degraded so you couldnt give the place away, it filled up with muslims. it is by design, not accident.
I believe that.

I think the UAW killed Detroit, it's like a balloon that gets bigger and bigger then busts, wage increase upon increase upon increase, business can't afford paying $65 an hour anymore to union workers to make a car that is just junk, the UAW just got too big and cars are now being made elsewhere where it costs less
NAFTA and other piss-poor trade policies contribute as well as the entitlement society we live in.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Well technically, world's biggest ghetto would be a tossup between Kibera in Nairobi

And Dharavi in Mumbai.

Still, there is no excuse for seeing something like this in a major city in America.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Uh-oh...now you've gone and started a union debate ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
$65? not in yor dreams! try $135/hr for common labor with just some of the benefits included. why do you think they were in a hurry to robotize them plants.
KARNAL, got to chime in on this one,the car manufacturers could make more profit from overseas capital adventure G-8 summit shit! Now when the chinise have all dryed up and their standard of living is on par with ours the manufacturing jobs will return here to the state,We have a material no one else does,its called fresh water,it takes 1000 gallons of fresh water to produce 1 silicon chip! When the truely rich are done utilizing everones elses natural recources they will be back for another round.Capitolism has about ran its course now just look around the world.Having said all that I have been up and down this side of the planet I can attest to the riches in our "gehtto" area's,compare them to a major city down in central America,Thier biggest shopping stores have less on the shelves than your average gas station in the "Ghetto"...

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Just curious, have you always lived in Canada?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts