Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my bike to ride back and forth to work during the week and long rides on the weekend. Dress code at work is khaki pants or shorts and a polo. I typically wear khaki shorts and a tennis shoes as im on my feet 12 hr days. I have read over all the rider gear threads and have bought all of the stuff for the weekend long rides. What would be you guys suggestions for those m-f 110° days when I work in khaki shorts and shoes. My ride to work is 2.3 miles on a minimal traffic side street.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Bring a change of clothes. I won't ride in shorts.

It's a shame you have such a short ride. I don't HAVE to get out and ride on the weekends because I ride 50 miles a day to work. I bring tennis shoes with me because boots are not comfortable to me all day.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Hmm.

1) You could wear your normal riding gear, and change at work.

2) You could get yourself a pair of riding overpants, wear them over your shorts. Bring along your work shoes to change into when you get there. Put on whatever riding jacket/head protection you wear, and off you go.

Funny thing, although I've ridden plenty of times without a helmet, I'd never consider riding a motorcycle in shorts and sneakers. I know, that doesn't have to make sense.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im the opposite! Never never without a helmet!when I ride on my off days or long trips im in full gear. I see prob 2 cars on my way to work and home. Would khaki pants like dress pants be any better than shorts

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
I have ridden short distances in shorts...its not such a big deal. I worry about scortching my legs more than anything else.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I use overpants. I typically wear slacks; so I wear them to keep my slacks from being covered in bugs! But overpants would work well in your situation. Just take them off when you get there and stuff them in a saddlebag.

Personally, I wear riding boots too and will swap shoes. I don't like riding in anything but boots; just me. I like the traction and grip; plus the ankle support.

A light mesh jacket, or just your polo shirt depending on the level of protection you want; and you're good to go. If I were you, I'd strongly consider the overpants and mesh jacket for a reason not mentioned; bugs! More than once I've had a big 'splat' across my chest (despite a tall windshield) or on my knees or legs. Luckily, the splat remains on my jacket; not my shirt or pants. Just for thought! Something to consider with swapping shoes, too. Whatever you might step in stays with you for that 12 hour shift!

I have zip up boots, so in 30 seconds the overpants are in a saddlebag, jacket are in the other saddlebag along with my boots; helmet is in the tour pak and I'm walking towards my office with dress shoes, slacks, and a collared shirt on looking like I just got out of my car! If I'm gonna wear a tie I'll put that on when I get there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
In the past, mostly because I've just gotten a bike again after several years, I'd buy a pair of jeans a size or two too large and wear them over whatever shorts I was going wear for the bulk of the day. I just made sure to try them on at the store with the same or similar shorts. Back then I didn't have (not sure they really made them) a mesh jacket with armor, but I always had a denim or leather jacket. For shoes, hell anything went but sandals, really.. Mostly hiking boots, as they tend to go well with khaki shorts. If you're wearing slacks, I'd go with cycling overpants, or for a short ride like that, some long jogging sweat pants might serve well. (the new high tech breathable stuff).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe in wearing gear on most rides. My commute is an hour each way and I wear leather overpants and jacket, switch to mesh stuff in the summer. However, if my ride was only 2.3 miles, I think I could handle that little spin in just shorts and gym shoes. lol....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I go the mesh route

I have mesh pants and jacket that I wear over anything, depending on the weather. I've taken the bike to funerals and had the jacket and tie in the luggage. Mesh pants over shorts is great in the summer. Works great.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I wear typical greasemonkey wear (poly blend industrial navy blue pants and shirt) to work, and I just wear my leathers over them if it's cold. Tennis shoes are not preferable footwear--boots are better, of course, something sturdy and over-the-ankle--but if it's a short trip, you could probably just get away with some mesh overpants to protect your legs from the heat coming off the bike. It's pretty light, gear-wise, but if you feel comfortable doing it, hey...no shame in that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Because I'm cheap and don't care about style, I bought a pair of extra large coveralls at the local farm store and used to wear them over my dress suit when I rode to work. I wore a riding jacket also. In the winter I used insulated coveralls. IMHO it worked well. The coveralls had zippers on the legs, I could pull them on or off in the parking lot and stuff them in the bags and walk into the office looking like I came to work in a cage.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I am usually an "All the Gear..." kind of person, but dang 2 miles I would be tempted to just Throw on the hard hat and hit the street. I have about an 8-10 mile ride to work and when it get COLD, I usually take the truck, I mean the time it takes me to get suited up, then dressed back down, I could have already been there.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
+1 to davidr, Lunatic and Romans.
This is all your choice. I will not ride without a helmet, end of story.
I will not ride in shorts or tennis shoes, sneakers, flip flops, etc.
My work uniform consists of my uniform (fatigues) ballistic vest, duty belt pistol, etc., etc. Weekend rides are different, but still protected, I may not wear my leather coat/jacket when the temp is at/near/above 70, but again my choice and boots always.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts