Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Vulcan Voyager failed me yesterday. I went to start it and it will not turn over and I noticed the headlamp is off when the key is turned to the on position. Running lights are on and radio works. Checked battery and it is good. My service manual is packed away so I can not run the schematic to TS the electrical system. Anyone have a idea as to what is wrong? I suspect a relay somewhere is bad but not sure.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Headlight will not come on until the starter is engaged. If battery is good and its in neutral check the clutch and kickstand switches for loose wire or bad switch.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Headlight will not come on until the starter is engaged. If battery is good and its in neutral check the clutch and kickstand switches for loose wire or bad switch.
Also check the kill switch and the starter button. Especially the starter button. Both can get dirty, but the starter button is usually the one that causes the headlight to not come on when not pressing the starter button on most bikes I know of. I'm not sure, but I think the headlight should come on until the starter is engaged, even if the clutch and kickstand switches are a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the headlight should come on then go off when the starter button is hit. I think it is the starter switch as I got the bike to start the next day by messing with the starter and kill switch, 5 miles later it died. It started up again after messing with the switches and I got it home. Time to pull the switch housing apart and clean everything. My poor baby has been out side for the last 7 months in the desert so maybe dirt and grim got into the switches. She now has a new garage to stay in, very happy bike now.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Yes the headlight should come on then go off when the starter button is hit. I think it is the starter switch as I got the bike to start the next day by messing with the starter and kill switch, 5 miles later it died. It started up again after messing with the switches and I got it home. Time to pull the switch housing apart and clean everything. My poor baby has been out side for the last 7 months in the desert so maybe dirt and grim got into the switches. She now has a new garage to stay in, very happy bike now.
Yep, that'd do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts