Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a coule hundred miles and never had an issue on friday. Stopped to and it will not start turns over great but dies not fire, Checked all fuses and all good. Acts like it isnt getting fuel, It has a power commander on it and I did notice the light doeswn't come on when i tirn on the key. It normally have a little red light on it when turned on. Not sure what the issue is. anyideas from anyone. I have checked all wires and see not obvious issues.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ah. Okay, I have zero expertise on power commanders. My vague notion is that they replace the ECU, or perhaps intercept signals to and from the ECU, so I'm reasoning from there and trying a couple of possibly quick fixes.

1) When you turn on the key, does the FI light on the speedometer light, stay on about a second or two, then go out?

2) The power commander may have a separate inline fuse, not one in the fuse boxes. Have you tracked that down and checked it? The lack of some sort of indicator light suggests it isn't getting power (or has gone off to power commander heaven, but we'll hope for Not That.)

Getting much beyond that gets into some fairly extensive troubleshooting -- at least doing a self-diagnosis on the electronic fuel injection. Got shop manual?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Ah. Okay, I have zero expertise on power commanders. My vague notion is that they replace the ECU, or perhaps intercept signals to and from the ECU, so I'm reasoning from there and trying a couple of possibly quick fixes.

1) When you turn on the key, does the FI light on the speedometer light, stay on about a second or two, then go out?

2) The power commander may have a separate inline fuse, not one in the fuse boxes. Have you tracked that down and checked it? The lack of some sort of indicator light suggests it isn't getting power (or has gone off to power commander heaven, but we'll hope for Not That.)

Getting much beyond that gets into some fairly extensive troubleshooting -- at least doing a self-diagnosis on the electronic fuel injection. Got shop manual?
I'm pretty sure the PC should have a power supply and a ground. Those might be individual wires or supplied thru a plug that connects to a plug already on the bike. Either could have come loose, a wire has broken/is shorting, or the PC may have failed. The PC intercepts and modifies the signals between the fuel injectors and the ECU. I don't know if the signal would just pass thru if the PC isn't powered. I don't think it would. You should also check the connections at the FIs just in case they have come loose.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yup, Sabre's on it, I think -- most likely suspect, no Power to the Commander or a deceased Commander. I guess they could have designed a bypass into the unit so signals would go through an unpowered unit, but -- it seems unlikely, since a) added cost and b) one more possible failure point in a system already loaded with them. One type of failure there would disable the bike if neither signal got sent, the other could create chaos at the fuel injector end if the original and altered signals both got sent.

If no obvious reason for no power, how tough would it be to pull the Power Commander out of the line and try it straight off the ECU?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the ignition switch. Found out they have an anti-theft device in the switch. It is a capacitor that sends a 7.2 volt signal to the ECM to let it know it is OK to start. The capacitor went out and didn't send the signal If you try to bypass the switch the ECM will not work. You can not find this wire in any diagram so I had to call Kawasaki to get info and then it was very difficult because I fekt as if they thought maybe I wasn't the owner. Anyway it is running

·
Registered
580 Posts
It was the ignition switch. Found out they have an anti-theft device in the switch. It is a capacitor that sends a 7.2 volt signal to the ECM to let it know it is OK to start. The capacitor went out and didn't send the signal If you try to bypass the switch the ECM will not work. You can not find this wire in any diagram so I had to call Kawasaki to get info and then it was very difficult because I fekt as if they thought maybe I wasn't the owner. Anyway it is running
Please share the fix in case others have this issue

·
Registered
507 Posts
Please share the fix in case others have this issue
Or in case certain people might be electrical nerds and are dying to know the value of the capacitor, what it is connected to, and what sort of signal a capacitor can send!

You know ... just in case any of those folks are on here.

Why's everybody looking at me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or in case certain people might be electrical nerds and are dying to know the value of the capacitor, what it is connected to, and what sort of signal a capacitor can send!

You know ... just in case any of those folks are on here.

Why's everybody looking at me?
Replaced the Ignition switch

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
sfair is correct, it is a 100ohm resister inline with the power supplied to the ecm. It is an antitheft device. Very small resister soldered directly on the ignition switch terminal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to run one when I put a HD style switch on my Nomad.
Which wire did you have to put the resistor on? And was it in line or no? I'm trying to switch out my ignition as well. Thanks and if you were able to snap a picture it would be great

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts