Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 vulcan 1500 Classic FI with 14,000 miles on it.

starts up great when its cold and runs fine but if I stop for a few minutes it won't start or even try to start. After it sets for 15 minutes or so it will start up (takes a more cranks but it will start) and run fine.

NO FI light blinking to indicate ECM error codes. Checked the plugs and they are like new.

Does anyone know of a known problem with this year and model that I should look for first?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey OstBob! I have the same bike with approx the same mileage :)

So when you say
it won't start or even try to start
Does that mean she doesn't turn over or she turns over and doesn't fire?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok. I'm no mechanic but the first things to check would be fire and fuel.

So pull a plug and ground it on the cylinder. Turn the engine over to see if you have spark?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Won't start after warm?

Ostbob and the whole world out there, I have a VN1500 and had the same problem. My bike was off the road for 14 months, as nobody could help me. I decided to study the problem and solved it myself. Problem was the cdi unit. In South African rands it cost 4,680.00 to replace, IF you can find one new or used. Well, I got my Baby going for 240 ZA rands.
I used two TP600 ignition modules as used by Ford. (Magnetic-type) Why two? One for each cylinder and the bike has two magnetic pick-ups to activate the coils. If you are interested in this modification, you may derop me an e-mail for details.
My bike is more powerfull and starts like you won't believe, hot or cold.
My e-mail is [email protected]
2005 vulcan 1500 Classic FI with 14,000 miles on it.

starts up great when its cold and runs fine but if I stop for a few minutes it won't start or even try to start. After it sets for 15 minutes or so it will start up (takes a more cranks but it will start) and run fine.

NO FI light blinking to indicate ECM error codes. Checked the plugs and they are like new.

Does anyone know of a known problem with this year and model that I should look for first?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Ostbob and the whole world out there, I have a VN1500 and had the same problem. My bike was off the road for 14 months, as nobody could help me. I decided to study the problem and solved it myself. Problem was the cdi unit. In South African rands it cost 4,680.00 to replace, IF you can find one new or used. Well, I got my Baby going for 240 ZA rands.
I used two TP600 ignition modules as used by Ford. (Magnetic-type) Why two? One for each cylinder and the bike has two magnetic pick-ups to activate the coils. If you are interested in this modification, you may derop me an e-mail for details.
My bike is more powerfull and starts like you won't believe, hot or cold.
My e-mail is [email protected]
I am curious as to how you implemented the 1500 specific advance curve into your ignition system?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this on another Kawasaki forum;

Had the same thing happening on my 02 fuel=injected 1600 classic. I wasted a lot of money trying different things. Ended up taking it to a dealer, they found the problem, it was a worn connection on a fuel line. When the bike was hot the fuel line would heat up a little and expand and become disconnected, when the bike cooled down for about 15 to 20 min. the line would contract and reconnect. The bike would run fine for hours until you shut it down, go to start it and all it would do is turn over and over. The part they replaced they called it a tube-assy part #51044-0008. Since they replaced it there has been no problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts

Had the same thing happening on my 02 fuel=injected 1600 classic. I wasted a lot of money trying different things. Ended up taking it to a dealer, they found the problem, it was a worn connection on a fuel line. When the bike was hot the fuel line would heat up a little and expand and become disconnected, when the bike cooled down for about 15 to 20 min. the line would contract and reconnect. The bike would run fine for hours until you shut it down, go to start it and all it would do is turn over and over. The part they replaced they called it a tube-assy part #51044-0008. Since they replaced it there has been no problems. Hope this helps.
Being the suspicious fellow that I am, I would have to see that fault in person before I would believe it. It sounds questionable and may have been a snow-job to cover up something else.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had taken it to a very experience bike mechanic who usually works on Harleys and he couldn't get it to not start enough for him to trace the problem. So tomorrow it goes to the Kawasaki dealer who said they will charge me $80 to check it out. If they can't find the problem they won't charge me anything.

Problem is if you hold the start button on long enough it will eventually start.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
SOLVED: Ok, so the back yard mechanic said he put the battery on a charger overnight and did a load test etc. the next day and the battery was fine. He suggested I take it to a kawasaki dealer since he didn't have the tools to do a fuel pressure check. The dealer said they'd charge $80 to check it and nothing if they couldn't find the problem. Within 15 minutes the tech said the batteries voltage dropped below 10 vts when he hit the start button, which means its not enough to activate the FI.

The battery is less than a year old and because the other mechanic had just checked it I thought they were trying to sell me something that I didn't need with no guarantee it would work. So I had them hook up their charger/good battery to mine and it started everytime. SO IT WAS THE BATTERY. They didn't have one in stock so I went and bought one at the Batteries PLUS for $90. The dealer installed it and my total cost out the door was only $26.00 for the 15 minutes it took them to find the problem.
The Dealer was North Valley Kawasaki on Cave Creek in Phx. AZ

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 1500. Runs find, shut down - turns over but won't fire. I pulled the plug and did grounded to chassis - no fire. Let it sits, runs fine. MY one friend thinks it is the coils but I'm not sure which coils - ignition or pick -up. Anyone have any ideas.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 1500. Runs find, shut down - turns over but won't fire. I pulled the plug and did grounded to chassis - no fire. Let it sits, runs fine. MY one friend thinks it is the coils but I'm not sure which coils - ignition or pick -up. Anyone have any ideas.
It would be best to start your own thread as it is difficult to keep track of your problem vs. the other.

·
Registered
2 Posts

HI...just found your post on the fuel tube...i have a yr 2000 1500 classic FI. i have the exact same problem. How hard was it to replace the tube? is there any way to fix the tube without getting a new one? Some way to prevent it from separating? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI...just found your post on the fuel tube...i have a yr 2000 1500 classic FI. i have the exact same problem. How hard was it to replace the tube? is there any way to fix the tube without getting a new one? Some way to prevent it from separating? Thanks for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts