Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First off, its been awhile! Didn't ride my VN900c much last year as we moved to a new house and it was kinda burried in the new garage. Had it plugged into a trickle charger all year and took it out today and got it all washed up and filled the tires up, etc. Finally got on and turned the key and pushed the starter.........BUZZZZZ. Thats all I got. Lights dimmed and just a buzz. I thought maybe the trickle charger wasn't making good contact and battery didn't have enough charge so i wheeled it back in the garage and hooked it back up and left it for hours until the light turned green on the power supply. Tired again, and again just a loud buzz. Not even sure where to start on what it might be??

ED7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So check battery connection, and if its good, then would it make sense to "jump" it from a known good battery? I dont have a second motorcyle battery, but can I jump from a 12v car battery without damaging my electrical system? I have a 2 year old gel-cell battery in the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not too late. I haven't done anything yet except clean the battery contacts and secure the connections which made no difference.

·
Registered
347 Posts
sfair's gonna make you get your trusty meter out...and start measuring voltages...

And a good call at that!

Its probably the battery, but sfair is the expert at electrical diagnostics.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
It probably is the battery, but I am not a proponent of using battery boosting as a troubleshooting aide, and a little meter knowledge is a good thing to have, especially for a
900 owner.

Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

If not, we can help there too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. Got a meter and know how to use it. If you can tell me where to test and what the voltage should be I can test it out.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
OK,

1. Take voltage reading across battery.
2. Turn on key and take another reading.
3. Leave key on for a full 5 minutes and with key still on, take another reading.

Post back with three readings.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. sfair: is that the same test I performed with the existing battery, or another procedure? Can you explain?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Charging system check:

1. Repeat steps 1,2 and three from post #10.
2. Start engine, take another reading at normal idle speed.
3. Rev engine to about rpm that it turns when you are riding at 30mph.

Post back with 5 readings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts