Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, happened to me now, kickstand is up and she does not do anything, check the connector under the clutch level and it was properly connected, unplugged and put is back just in case but nothing, what else can I check? I picked up the bike from the dealer last Saturday after they performed the 15K maintenance but not until yesterday I needed to start the bike on gear because it stalled at a traffic light.
Check the other end of the plug; it's under the tank, and it comes undone real easy if you pulled on the wires for any reason (installing risers did it for me).

You *might* be able to see it without pulling the tank, but to fix it you'd definitely have to pull the tank. Once you know how to do it, pulling the tank literally takes 1 minute, and is the fastest part of any service.

·
Registered
702 Posts
First, unplug the two wires at the switch by the clutch lever and jumper them together. Try starting the bike in gear. If that doesn't work then pull the tank and check the plug connectors that are mounted to the frame's backbone. They have come loose in the past on other member's bikes.
You beat me to it. That exact thing happened to me; when I installed risers I must have stretched the wire a little too much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ditto

Bike wouldn't start in gear. I knew I wasn't going crazy. I knew it used too, but couldn't figure out why not now. We installed risers on bike and had the bars tilted forward while changing out risers. After stalling at a light and not being able to start right away, I HAD to find the fix. Lifted tank and reconnected wires. The other connecter was loose also! Best to check these wires anytime you fart around with wires. Searching this forum for problems, usually will help shorten your headaches!

Reactions: BobinNC

·
Registered
847 Posts
Starting in gear etc.

When I first bought my 07 LT it would not start unless the clutch was disengaged, lever pilled in, even in neutral, of course, wouldn't want it to start in gear. One day I tried it in neutral clutch engaged, lever out, and it started, been starting in neutral ever since without pulling in the clutch. I mentioned it on here once as was told I was mistaken, but it's my bike and I have ridden it since 07. I am sure I understand it very well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bike wouldn't start in gear. I knew I wasn't going crazy. I knew it used too, but couldn't figure out why not now. We installed risers on bike and had the bars tilted forward while changing out risers. After stalling at a light and not being able to start right away, I HAD to find the fix. Lifted tank and reconnected wires. The other connecter was loose also! Best to check these wires anytime you fart around with wires. Searching this forum for problems, usually will help shorten your headaches!
Resurrecting an old thread.
I installed risers at the end of last season and my bike won't start in gear. Took out the clutch switch and checked it, Looks to be working. It's not the kickstand switch either. I connected the wires and and still not working so I think it is a problem with the connecter under the tank. I'm pretty sure I pulled on it when putting on the risers...
I have the manual but appreciate any tips on removing the tank to check onto wire connector under there. I don't have much time to tinker so not sure if I should take it to dealer but would prefer not to.
Oh this is a 2012 VN900

·
Registered
110 Posts
Really don't have to take off the tank, just raise the back. Place a block of wood or something to hold it up and reach under and look for a connector that has come apart. I was more of the helper, but could see right away the problem. Not saying it couldn't be something more serious, but start with easiest.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tested my clutch switch and it is not faulty. When I try to jump the wire that leads into the switch it didn't work still to start the bike. So definitely will need to lift or remove tank to see if it is loose under there. Anyone have a diagram or picture of which wire it is under the tank?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take off the seat. Remove the bolt holding end of tank to frame. Lift the end of tank carefully, place a block of wood under tank to hold it up, not too high, but high enough to look under with flashlight. Look for several wires with a connector on end that is loose. I don't know the technical term, but look for 2 connectors that have come apart. It's not individual little wires, but 2 square little boxes. You may have to use long needle nose plies or something to reach under and push connectors together again. IF that's your problem. Nothing worse than a woman trying to explain tech terms. Just look for a loose, dangly thing and put it back together. O.K. now everyone has had their laugh for the day, glad to oblige.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the other end of the plug; it's under the tank, and it comes undone real easy if you pulled on the wires for any reason (installing risers did it for me).
I had the same issue when tried to install risers.
Had to pull of the tank and reconnect the plug.

Just want to share a picture of the wires under the tank.
Second from the right small blue connector is what needs to be checked.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I finally got a around to fixing this issue like a year later lol...

So a few things to note that I learned or helped me. Maybe I was not reading all the threads properly but here is what I found.

- You don't have to remove the entire tank but you can lift it up. You lift the FRONT of the tank, not the back to get to the wires. For some reason in the pictures it looked like the back to me so the I lifted it and didn't find any wires I was so confused.
- Remove the speedometer cluster as it helps you see better. You don't have toe detach it but remove it by undoing the one screw and the gently shimmying it up towards the handle bar. Do this first to the chrome cover and then do the same thing to the actual cluster to release it from the tank. I didn't undo the wiring harness because I couldn't detach it myself but that's not a problem. Just push it to the side a bit so you can see the wires
- After the speedometer is removed, slow wiggle the tank up and it will release itself. Slide it a bit towards the back to give yourself some space. Not too much as you don't want to disconnect any fuel lines. At this point, without even having to shimmy it with a 2x4 you should be able to get to the wire that was disconnected. See the pictures.
- I found putting the tank back on a bit tricky at first because I was scared to push it down but as long as you are gentle, don't worry. There are two rubber grommets not the big under the gas tank that the tank sits on/is wedged against to give it stability.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks to all that gave me this info.
Took off the tank, extended the wires, reinstalled the tank.
Took only 45 minutes.
Works perfectly now.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I’ve enjoyed my 2016 Vulcan 900 Custom immensely around NYC as a commuter and I’ve had some great rides locally without issue until tonight! After work, I took the long way home and stopped to run an errand. When I went to start the bike in gear with the clutch in, it didn’t fire up! I checked the kick-stand (it was up) and tried the starter again with no success. I put the bike in neutral with kickstand down, as per my morning routine, and it started fine and I was able to ride home.

When I got home, I was only able to start from neutral again. With the clutch in and the bike in gear, putting the kickstand down stalled the engine. With these symptoms in mind, I browsed the forum, found this link and was able to push the wires in by removing the speedometer plastic without removing the tank. After insuring the wires were plugged in (best I could with the tank on), I was able to start the bike in gear with the clutch in! Thank you Vulcan forum for helping me diagnose and treat my first issue with this otherwise reliable machine!

With all of the above said, I was leery about pulling off the tank, even partially, because I couldn’t find the torque values for the bolts that hold the tank to the frame in the shop manual. Are there torque values for reinstalling these fasteners? Is it hand tight? Any thoughts on the tank bolt torque would be greatly appreciated as I would like to pull the tank off if this happens in the future. Thank you!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts