Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 07 Vulcan is garage kept. I rode her home and topped off the tank at a station 1 mile from house. Went to start up the next day and bike began missfiring, would not idle, and exhaust smelled similar to kerosene. I siphoned the fuel from the tank and added 2 gallons fresh 93 octane with some staybil fuel treatment. After a few cranks she started and I rode her a few miles and thought the problem was solved. Next day she wont even start up! I drained the tank again and added some seafoam. no dice. I checked the spark plugs and they appear ok. I have less than 6000 miles on this bike and it has run great up until now. Can I do anything else to troubleshoot before I give up and head for the dealership?

·
Registered
441 Posts
It really sounds like you had fuel contamination. Did you save the fuel you took out?

Here is an idea. Find some flammable spray, i.e. WD40 Gumout carb spray or similar...

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID
DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID​

Remove the air cleaner and spray it into the intake and see if it will fire up. Try to keep it running on the spray. If it does stay running then there is a chance you may have clogged the fuel filter or injectors or maybe damaged the fuel pump.

Let us know

·
Registered
441 Posts
Did you use "DIESEL" fuel?
I am doubting he used diesel but there have been instances of tankers accidentally fueling the wrong tank. I once has a Samurai towed in to the Suzuki dealer I was working at that they tanked up and received some cetane enhanced fuel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved

Took bike to dealer. they determined that the plugs had fouled. They had never had a vulcan bought into the shop with this issue. Bad fuel was blamed for the problem. New plugs installed and I was back in business.

Lessons learned: 1. Keep a replacement set of plugs handy to swap out when troubleshooting future issues. 2. know what the heck a fouled plug looks like and actually do more than just eyeball a plug when inspecting. Thanks to those on the forum that tried to help me out

·
Registered
64 Posts
Problem solved

It is always a good idea to put Seafoam in the gas tank if you intend to leave it sit for a long period of time. Seafoam will help to keep the fuel from varnishing your injectors and plugs.
I use about 3oz of Seafoam for every other tank of gas I put in my bike. I run it year round with no problems. It has saved me a lot of spring cleaning when i want to pull my bike out of the garage after a long winter hibernation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts