Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive had this bike 4 years im at 10k miles. it would shift from n to 2nd gear before. now no matter what it wont shiftto 2 and above enless im actually accelerating and starting from 1st.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Its still normal.
As you ride you start from 1st and shift up, then at a stop you downshift.
Why are you trying to shift into 2nd from neutral?

Also does downshifting from 3rd to 2nd work fine?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its still normal.
As you ride you start from 1st and shift up, then at a stop you downshift.
Why are you trying to shift into 2nd from neutral?

Also does downshifting from 3rd to 2nd work fine?
yes, works finwhen motor is running and im accelerating or decelerating, but in the past, in a stand still when engine running or not, i can shift to second ffrom newutral, now i cant, i cant at all shift upeven if i walk the bike.it wasnt like that before. im selling the bike and i dont want anyone to get a possible bad tranny.
this bike is babied, oil changed every 1k miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you get on your bike right now, squeez clutch, enging running and engine not running, whiel in neutral, go to 2nd, it will go in 2nd if u walk the bikea lil, on mine it wont go to second at all even if i walk the bike, like theres nothing there.
but if i go on 1st and ride it will go thru the gears up n down normal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, normal. In fact, when I was initially looking at mine, I almost didn't buy it because I thought there was a transmission issue. The previous owner had never noticed it and was panicking, but fortunately I decided to give it a quick ride in the parking lot and it worked fine. Looked into forums and found it was designed that way.

Best purchase I've ever made!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
They call it Positive Neutral Finder. When at a stop, you can only shift up to neutral. Perfectly normal. Are you sure you were able to do it before? It doesn’t seem like something anyone would really need to do very often, if ever.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im still baffled, i was able to shift to second before from neutral. i mean yall can shift right now even if the motor isnt running, try it, itl shift to second from N.

I got me a 2019 Yamaha tracer 900 gt, i absolutely love it so much, super comfortable, , its a tall bike, i had to do a lowering link sold by yamaha, im still tip toed, but its ok, im 5'6", i love the posture, i needed the cruise control , heated grips and psoture for long distance touring,

i love my vulcan, i was one of the first ones to get the vulcan when it came out, i did the gearing change on the engine sprocket etc etc. i jus need the $ to pay off a few things as the tracer was a priciest bike i ever bought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My bikes practically brand new (- 1000miles)…. I CAN NOT get into 2nd from a stand still; weather motors running or not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
im still baffled, i was able to shift to second before from neutral. i mean yall can shift right now even if the motor isnt running, try it, itl shift to second from N.

I got me a 2019 Yamaha tracer 900 gt, i absolutely love it so much, super comfortable, , its a tall bike, i had to do a lowering link sold by yamaha, im still tip toed, but its ok, im 5'6", i love the posture, i needed the cruise control , heated grips and psoture for long distance touring,

i love my vulcan, i was one of the first ones to get the vulcan when it came out, i did the gearing change on the engine sprocket etc etc. i jus need the $ to pay off a few things as the tracer was a priciest bike i ever bought.
so does your new Yamaha shift into second gear from neutral while stopped or with engine shut off??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok if i sell this and buyer complains ur all liable. lol jk

what im trying to say. engine running or not, even if i walk the bike and try to shift to second at same time it wont go in 2nd, the lever pulls bak all the way but nothing ther. in my yamaha it goes in 2nd easy.
if u have someone push u whilebu sit n pull shift bak it will go in gear. mine wont.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Positive Neutral Finder is a system that prevents the transmission from shifting from first into second when it is at a standstill. Once the bike is under way, the centrifugal force of a spinning transmission shaft disengages the device, ideally allowing unhindered upshifts.

Pushing the bike should not cause enough of a centrifugal force to disengage. There is nothing wrong with the transmission. Honestly, it sounds to me like you were bitten by the bug that we’re all familiar with. No need to justify needing a new bike, my man! Ride on!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Happy and safe travels on your new bike jrubicon. You were definately one of the OG's in this VS forum.
I really like the MT09-TR GT too. I very nearly got one myself for all the same reasons but still keep holding back from pulling the trigger. I still like the cruiser style and my old girl is still fit for purpose even after 46,000 km ticked over this week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts