Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking to step away from my Voyager 1700 to a Vulcan 900 Classic LT and I was wondering if there are women on this forum who have a 900 and have opinions about the bike. Now, I understand that I am on a Vulcan forum and opinions might just be a tad biased, lol, but I look forward to hearing about how well the bike does on long highway stints. I am 5'6" and about 125 lbs. The 1700 is just too darned heavy for me. I love her on the road but am tired of having to look for just the right parking place or wondering if there is a dirt road ahead. I have read lots of reviews from the guys' standpoint, but seeing as I am just a bit smaller than most of the guys, I would love to know what women think about the bike. Thanks so much!

C.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The vn 900 weights just about 650 pounds so if you can lift it or keep it from dropping it on a tight turn or miscalculated stop then go for it. I personally think that given your dimentions you gave the 900 may be a little on the heavy side for you. Have you tried the Honda Shadow 750? great and lighter bike!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! My first bike was a Suzuki Boulevard C50 which is about 650 lbs, so I figure if I could handle that, I can handle the 900. I am also a bit wary of lower cc value with lots of highway riding. But I appreciate your thoughts.

C.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You say you have a 1700 ill trade you. The 900 is a great bike and i love it but after a few years on it now wish i had more power cause it does lack that eway power

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks for the response! My first bike was a Suzuki Boulevard C50 which is about 650 lbs, so I figure if I could handle that, I can handle the 900. I am also a bit wary of lower cc value with lots of highway riding. But I appreciate your thoughts.

C.
Oh then you should be fine. Do keep in mind that the vn900 revs high at speeds over 65mph (most small - mid bikes do). There is a pulley you can install but the diference is minimal and also brings some belt noises. Trade off you gain about five miles per shift. Still will rev hight at speeds over 70 though. I took mine of and sold it. I love my 900 and my only and only issue is it does rev high and as much as you want to get use to it is just to much some days.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
LOL. Sorry, cat. Still no female responses.

Where the heck are you, ladies?

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, as a female rider...I love my 900. I have a custom vs a classic. I am 5'7", 135. I find it easy to move around. Parking lots are a breeze. I upgraded from a Virago 535. Weight was a huge issue for me when hunting for the new bike. I found the Vulcan 900 to be perfect for my size. Let me know if you have any more specific questions
Nic

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I just recently (February, 2010) upgraded from a 750 Shadow to the 900 Classic. Although this is a male perspective (5'10", 180 lbs) , I find the Kow to be better balanced than the Shadow, with the weight centered lower. I think it is a better bike at low speed (parking lot) turns but not quite as nimble on the twist's. All-in-all, I think it is the better bike of the two for long distance riding on a mid size bike. And I wouldn't let the comments about the high revs at 75 mph bother you. Wear a set of hearing plugs and it is all good. The engine is designed to run at that speed, so unless you are a 90 to 100 mhp rider, you have more than enough omph to cruise down the highway for 100 miles or 10,000 miles....if your butt can stand up to the task. Slap an AirHawk cushion on it, and 500 to 700 mile day rides are just about perfect...........IMHO

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi, Catspeaker. I upgraded from C50 to VN900LT a year ago. The VN is much more comfortable at freeway speeds, and in the same weight class as the C50. If you liked the C50, you'll love the VN900. You may want some pull-back risers, unless your arms are long.

Also, the VN900 has much more power than the increase from 800 to 900 cc's would lead you to believe.

I went on a 3000 mile road trip last month on the LT, and had no problems whatever, at all altitudes, except lead butt, which I get on any bike and any seat, so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vulcan 900 Classic

Hi. I am looking to step away from my Voyager 1700 to a Vulcan 900 Classic LT and I was wondering if there are women on this forum who have a 900 and have opinions about the bike. Now, I understand that I am on a Vulcan forum and opinions might just be a tad biased, lol, but I look forward to hearing about how well the bike does on long highway stints. I am 5'6" and about 125 lbs. The 1700 is just too darned heavy for me. I love her on the road but am tired of having to look for just the right parking place or wondering if there is a dirt road ahead. I have read lots of reviews from the guys' standpoint, but seeing as I am just a bit smaller than most of the guys, I would love to know what women think about the bike. Thanks so much!

HI- I have a 2009 vulcan 900 classic lt. it's beautiful just the right size and i'm 5'9". i can't imagine anything heavier. i'm new to riding so it's perfect- not too big and plenty of power to keep up to my HD buddies. it handles great, shifts smooth and with the saddlebags- plenty of room for shopping. The body frame is about 100 pounds lighter than an HD Softtail so you'll feel it if a truck goes by- but its fine for 650lbs. the classic comes with everything- windshield, bags, backrest you just have to give it some personal touches. red and black is mint. i have it in red and silver- its' very sexy!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've done several 1600+ trips on my 900. At nearly 3 times your weight you should have no problems what so ever with extended highway trips. I wonder what the bike would feel like with 175 less pounds on it.

By the way, it handles pretty well with a trailer hooked behind it so you could take luggage along for long trips.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
HI- I have a 2009 vulcan 900 classic lt. i have it in red and silver- its' very sexy!
Hi Valerie, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting for cat.

Any pictures of your sexy red and siver LT would be welcome too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, especially the women, although, guys, don't think I don't appreciate your feedback as well, ;)

It was especially helpful to hear about moving from a Boulevard to the LT. That makes it for me.

Now, all I have to do is convince my better half that it is ok for a woman of my size to step down a notch in CC without sacrificing the ability to keep up on long rides!

Cat

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Now, all I have to do is convince my better half that it is ok for a woman of my size to step down a notch in CC without sacrificing the ability to keep up on long rides!
Oh, oh. He's not one of those "bigger is better" guys is he? I just don't get that mentality, but i guess it's the American way... look at all the oversize cages on the road. :(

I also have a Honda 750 Spirit that i've taken on cross-country trips with bigger CC bikes. Even with that i didn't have any problems "keeping up". The 900 will give you power to spare and has enough weight to make the ride comfortable.

My only suggestion is that at your weight, you may want to soften up the rear shock a notch. Have the dealer do that for you when you pick it up.

Let us know your decision, cat, and if you get one, post pictures!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, too funny, Helak. It's not so much "bigger is better"...it's more like "you have the best bike in the world and you are gonna seriously regret moving to a smaller bike". It's ok...we've been together for 5+ years and I am learning to throw what little weight I have around, :p

And I will talk with the dealer about the shock setting. Good hint. As well, expect a picture within a couple of weeks!

Cat

·
Registered
451 Posts
More info on the 3000 mile trip I referred to earlier. I went with a guy who rode a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. Two weeks after we got back he bought an '07 VN900LT. After a couple of 300+ mile day trips, he told me that he was in pretty good shape when we got to Phoenix, but he'd have been in better shape if he'd had the LT. More stable, less wind buffeting, just better all around. When he had the Shadow, my LT would match him for accelleration at lower altitudes, and beat him at higher altitudes. Thus the value of fuel injections.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You might want to PM Tallannie on this forum. She's a girl. I know because I made the mistake of calling her a guy one time in a post.:eek: I had missed the Annie part of her login name. She's a real sport and has been helpful to me over the past couple years. I know she owned a 900, but I think she now has a larger bike. I also know she has written some posts on Gadgets Page so she is pretty handy with a bike.

My personal opinion is that if you have been dealing with a 1700, you will love the 900.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Jeep. I just pinged her privately.

cat

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love my 900 classic. We are the same height but I am MUCH heavier. The 900 is my first street bike so I have no real comparison. She handles great and takes curves gracefully. I find myself looking for an extra gear sometimes because she can sound a little buzzy at 80 but i'm getting use to it. She can take alot more than 80. Oh, I'm 53 and female.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Sunschild! I appreciate your feedback. Nice to know there are other riders my age on a 900!

cat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts