Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just purchased a Wolo Bad Boy Chrome from Amazon. I got forced out of my lane the other day and I'm pretty sure the cager did not hear my wimpy horn. Well, that's it, this is a matter of safety.
I've heard great things about the Wolo and that's why I bought it. However, where the hell do I mount the damn thing??
I've heard horror stories about mounting it in the stock location. Apparently people have hit big bumps and their fender smacked into the horn. Has anyone had this happen on the Voyager?
I've heard of people mounting it in the lower right fairing but have not seen pics. Can anyone show me this and explain?
I've heard of people mounting it to the frame right up and above the gear shift. Is it loud enough being behind the lower? How did you make a bracket? Pics please.
Has anyone ever thought of mounting it on the saddlebag guard, kind of in front between the bike and the saddlebag?
Please let me know specifically for the Voyager, as it seems the most difficult to figure out where to put it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I originally mounted mine (I have one on each side :devil2: ) using the bottom bolt of the right side lower, but it was close enough to the brake pedal that I wanted to move it. I ended up using a frame bolt behind the lower. I had a piece of chromed metal with holes already in it that I used to mount it in both places. About 1" x 10" (maybe a little less) x ~3/8". See pic below. I bent the bar just a bit to get the horn away from the hot engine. Not the most elegant mounting, but I wanted it aiming the sound outward, not down or back at the bike. I did coat the connectors and that whole area with Liquid Tape to protect them from getting wet and shorting. I also grounded to a bolt on that bar.

You just need some 1" flat stock cut and drilled. I would also round the ends, prime and paint it.

20170625_172928.jpg

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I bought one a few months back, but really haven't put the time into trying to determine where to place it. I too had heard of the stories of placing it in stock location. Thanks Sabre-t for the suggestion!

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I put mine on the frame above the shifter. Mine came with the mount. You can use a hose clamp. I would suggest you use a piece of rubber like from an old tube between the frame and clamp to keep it from slidding. It will be plenty loud.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so far for the suggestions and info. It's sounding more and more like it's usually put above the shifter.
However, I am sure I read somewhere that someone put it in their "right lower fairing". Does anyone know about this?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Kinda in a similar situation. I just bought a pair of Wolo Loud-One horns. (one low, one high tone)
Now I need to figure out where to mount them.

[EDIT]: I think I figured out where they will be mounted. I'll post pictures once I have them mounted, as well as a before/after vid of the horn sound.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Thank you so far for the suggestions and info. It's sounding more and more like it's usually put above the shifter.
However, I am sure I read somewhere that someone put it in their "right lower fairing". Does anyone know about this?

Like I said before, I did that and ended up moving it because I was worried that it could get in the way of the brake pedal. That will depend on your shoe size and how you position your feet. Just use the lowest bolt holding the lower on. Do a dry run with a 1" wide piece of wood about 1/8" to 3/16" thick (I meant 3/16" before, now 3/8") to see how long you want it to be, where to drill the holes and if it will interfere with the brake pedal. I don't have a pic to show you.

Remove the lower bolt, put bolt thru lower hole in your bar/bracket and then back into the original hole. Tighten just enough to hold things steady, but will allow you to position the bar angle later. Put a bolt thru a hole a the top of the bracket with a nut on the backside screwed on with enough play to slip the horn mount over the bolt on the front side, then tighten the nut to hold the horn but again loose enough to allow some adjustment as needed. Wire it up, adjust the angle as needed and tighten it all down. The extra added security of a zip tie thru a 3rd small hole in the bar below the top mounting hole and around the horn mount is a good idea. Use lock nuts or lock washers to prevent the upper bolt from coming loose.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said before, I did that and ended up moving it because I was worried that it could get in the way of the brake pedal. That will depend on your shoe size and how you position your feet. Just use the lowest bolt holding the lower on. Do a dry run with a 1" wide piece of wood about 1/8" to 3/16" thick (I meant 3/16" before, now 3/8") to see how long you want it to be, where to drill the holes and if it will interfere with the brake pedal. I don't have a pic to show you.

Remove the lower bolt, put bolt thru lower hole in your bar/bracket and then back into the original hole. Tighten just enough to hold things steady, but will allow you to position the bar angle later. Put a bolt thru a hole a the top of the bracket with a nut on the backside screwed on with enough play to slip the horn mount over the bolt on the front side, then tighten the nut to hold the horn but again loose enough to allow some adjustment as needed. Wire it up, adjust the angle as needed and tighten it all down. The extra added security of a zip tie thru a 3rd small hole in the bar below the top mounting hole and around the horn mount is a good idea. Use lock nuts or lock washers to prevent the upper bolt from coming loose.
Thank you for that, I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, i ended up going with the suggestion from another Voyager rider on another forum and thought I would share.
I mounted my Wolo Bad Boy on the right engine guard (see pics). I used a U clamp, Lock nuts and cut and sanded a piece of aluminum and drilled three holes in it. The horn is solid and most importantly, loud.
Thanks to all for suggestions etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Mounted mine to the frame bolts on the left side right above the shift
Ya, I thought about that too. A lot of people have done that but I kinda liked the look of it being up front and it's out of the way of any of the controls. That's why I bought the Bad Boy Chrome.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also mounted mine on my crash bars. I have lowers so that protects it a bit from getting rain and road debris in the opening.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have one on my v2k and I have to say I am disapointed in the sound. It is way better than the one that was on the bike but still seems muffled. I just expected more.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have one on my v2k and I have to say I am disapointed in the sound. It is way better than the one that was on the bike but still seems muffled. I just expected more.

Hmm. Strange, mine is nice and loud. It came in handy the other day. A car started to move into my lane, with me in it. I let loose with the horn and man, he snapped right back into his lane in a flash. Paid for itself right there.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Have you used wiring which is heavy enough for the electrical current which is needed to operate your horn? Do you need to use a relay? - on my VN 900 I had to use a relay since the stock horn switch couldn't carry the current necessary to operate the horn, but that may not be necessary with your V2K.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you used wiring which is heavy enough for the electrical current which is needed to operate your horn? Do you need to use a relay? - on my VN 900 I had to use a relay since the stock horn switch couldn't carry the current necessary to operate the horn, but that may not be necessary with your V2K.
The owner before me had a relay wired in for the horn he had but removed before selling me the bike. Looked like decent wires but I did not follow them to the battery. I should probably check that.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Mine is mounted similar to Schlappy 95's. I wanted the horn as far forward (out of my ears) and closer to the others on the road.
I didn't want the horn attached to the side of the motor or down by the brake pedal. It is mounted on the top of the engine guard/highway bars out of the way of the handle bars. I didn't mount it lower in case I wind up going through water, I didn't want to drown the horn.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The owner before me had a relay wired in for the horn he had but removed before selling me the bike. Looked like decent wires but I did not follow them to the battery. I should probably check that.

You definitely want it going through a relay and I used either 14 or 16 gauge wire.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You definitely want it going through a relay and I used either 14 or 16 gauge wire.

It is for sure going through the relay but I am not sure the wire is proper all the way from the battery

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
schlappy95 is correct. I had to install my Wolo Bad Boy using 14 gauge wiring, a relay, and also I used direct wiring to the relay from the battery and incorporated a fuse into the wiring, and then another 14 gauge gauge wire from the relay to the horn itself. The relay is activated by the stock horn wiring and switch.

Why did the original owner remove the relay when he sold you the V2k?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts