Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the death wobble the other day. Took one hand off the bars and wobble slowly builds to the point where you better grab the bar again or die. Tore down front end and replaced the head bearings with new taped rollers. No noticeable problems found with existing bearings just a lack of grease. Back together and problem seems to be gone. Took about 6 hrs. to do the job. Had to cut the races to get them out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got the death wobble the other day. Took one hand off the bars and wobble slowly builds to the point where you better grab the bar again or die. Tore down front end and replaced the head bearings with new taped rollers. No noticeable problems found with existing bearings just a lack of grease. Back together and problem seems to be gone. Took about 6 hrs. to do the job. Had to cut the races to get them out.
Did you use a new set of bearing from Kawi or did you use aftermarket. I don't have a "death wobble" but on the interstate at about 80 I do get a very very slight "shimmy" in the bars. I will be installing a 21 up front soon, I don't know if this will make it much worse.

I did read on the other board where someone said they used a higher quality aftermarket bearing set.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Found this online and better than cutting IMO

Race removal from motorcycle steering head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97vUOJI9gk

Or you can buy the tool for $35 approx http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-Steering-Neck-Bearing-Race-Remover-4796-/172125977339?hash=item281381fafb:g:J1YAAOSwZ8ZW3jKr&item=172125977339&vxp=mtr
I found it cheaper in UK and save a couple of buck since I can wait. I decided I will buy most (not all) of the special tools like the press just to make the job easier and not cuss.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that tool would definitely have been easier than cutting, but I could not wait. In theory you should not have to replace the bearings. if greased should last the lifetime. most do, but some do not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So I made the mistake of taking my hands off to test the other day and have wobble. However I have come to the conclusion that wobble and weave are inherent in all bikes - even with good bearings. A bike with bad bearings or nut torque will make it worse.

I am changing to "all balls" this winter even though they don't need to be changed as a winter project. I am buying some of the tools to make it easier and will use the old race to get new ones in probably. I still don't want to take the inner fairing off...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the wobble when my hands were off the bars even for a second. I could even feel it starting to wobble when hitting bumps and tar snakes. After extensive research this is what I did to fix the issue.

Get the front wheel off the ground and supported. Remove the handlebars and the triple tree. Remove the claw washer. Tighten the steering stem nut until the front wheel binds when turning it. Loosen the steering stem nut just enough for the front wheel to turn freely. Put it back together and test ride.

I am writing this from memory so the details are a bit sketchy. Use the manual for each step except for the torque spec. Instead of that use this procedure.

I have put hundreds of miles on since doing this and I have no sign of wobble at any speed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds about right. You can also do the "bounce test" to check tightness. However, I can't get at the nut properly with my spanner wrench (for a shock) without hitting fairing when trying to turn - I am not pulling the entire fairing off. I have ordered a fabricated socket specific for this and will confirm.

I had the wobble when my hands were off the bars even for a second. I could even feel it starting to wobble when hitting bumps and tar snakes. After extensive research this is what I did to fix the issue.

Get the front wheel off the ground and supported. Remove the handlebars and the triple tree. Remove the claw washer. Tighten the steering stem nut until the front wheel binds when turning it. Loosen the steering stem nut just enough for the front wheel to turn freely. Put it back together and test ride.

I am writing this from memory so the details are a bit sketchy. Use the manual for each step except for the torque spec. Instead of that use this procedure.

I have put hundreds of miles on since doing this and I have no sign of wobble at any speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds about right. You can also do the "bounce test" to check tightness. However, I can't get at the nut properly with my spanner wrench (for a shock) without hitting fairing when trying to turn - I am not pulling the entire fairing off. I have ordered a fabricated socket specific for this and will confirm.
I had a special tool made up for removing the nut on a VTX 1300. With a little file work I was able to make it fit the Voyager nut. I got lucky.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What kind of shape was your front tire in when it started wobbling. When I wrenched on bike professionally, folks would too often come in and want to start modifying things to compensate for a front tire that was severely cupped where it had any tread at all. This could be noticed on nearly every make of bike I laid hands on which was over 95% of those made.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tire is fairly new. 2-3000 miles. no obvious wear and balanced good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This morning on the way to work the wobble cane back. I thought I felt it going over a series of bumper in the road. I engaged the cruise at about 45 mph and let go of the bars. I immediately had to lean way left to keep it straight and within about 15 seconds the wobble started quite violently. Bummed! I will check the tires next.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My bike will not ride straight with hands off and leans to the right as well. Anyone else?

This morning on the way to work the wobble cane back. I thought I felt it going over a series of bumper in the road. I engaged the cruise at about 45 mph and let go of the bars. I immediately had to lean way left to keep it straight and within about 15 seconds the wobble started quite violently. Bummed! I will check the tires next.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I kept the OEM bearings on my bike the 60,000 miles I owned it.

I lubed them and adjusted the nut for the proper tension.

What took the wobble away on my bike was airing the front tire up to 36 psi, and having Traxxion Dynamics rebuild the front suspension .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts