Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking for some help from any wiring guru's out there. I am currently wiring an LED kit to my bike and I've ran into a minor problem I'm looking for a clean solution to. I currently have 9 pods with a positive and negative wire each (obviously) and I am planning on joining them all to a pigtail that will run to my battery for a cleaner and more efficient look. My problem is as follows...I ran all the wires to the chrome housing on the left side of the bike under the tank where I plan to hide the connection as I envision it being a bit bulky. My question is what is the easiest way to connect all these wires? I was thinking either a large wire nut wrapped with electrical tape or even adding eyelets to the end of the wires, fastening with a nut and bolt, and then wrapping everything up.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help and ideas you all have.

Thanks,
PB

·
Registered
578 Posts
Going back to my boating days, I have always liked to solder wires together then put a bit of marine shrink tube over them for protection. They will handle the vibrations better and the marine shrink tube has a little bit of adhesive inside to keep everything protected from moisture. Also tends to make for a clean looking compact package.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

Those cage clamps seem pretty cool, but I got a lesson in the lost art of soldering last night and that seems the route I'm taking. It makes one heck of a strong connection without taking up much space.

PB

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hats off to rpeek2 for coolest gadjet I have seen recently. Those cage clamps are the deal. Wish they sold them in 5 packs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me pose this question....

With space at a premium, where would you hide or tuck away a couple of these clamps? With 9 wires to join per positive/negative, I think I would have a handful to hide. I didn't go too in depth on the research either...how weatherproof are they? Great concept though...

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can do the project using only 2 cage clamps. One for the positive, and one for the negative wires. If I understand correctly you have 9 positive wires and 9 negative wires. Using the 5-wire clamp you could double up allowing upto 10 wires in each clamp. A weatherproof cover is also offered I noticed. Thats something new--hadn't seen that when I got mine. As far as hiding them, be inventive I guess. Underseat is best but thats usually where everything else is crammed. Stick em to a frame member, under gas tank or behind one of the pretty plastic covers. Good luck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you remove the two bolts holding the rear of the gas tank and lift, there is actually a pretty large area of space on the left side (shifter side) of the main frame rail that runs through the tank. Don't forget to take the chrome cover off of the speedo before lifting. I was able to just prop up the rear of the tank with a 2x4 block on the long side when running some wires for my driving lights. You may even be able to just sticky these clamps to the bottom of the gas tank or in the channel where the frame rail runs through the tank. Just tossing idea out there. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts