Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Vulcan 900 CLT '07 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I purchased myself a Garmin Zumo XT for the Nomad, it comes with a decently lengthy wiring harness for constant power to the unit. I just thought of this as I was typing, I have a batwing fairing with a stereo, should I just wire it in to the power for the stereo so that it comes on only when the stereo is on (ignition or accessory power)? My original thinking was to ask about the whereabouts of a relay I could wire into and if I'd need to remove the tank to access it.

Lend me your thoughts, thanks y'all.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Yes, you can wire it to a circuit that is powered on with the key as long as you don't overload the circuit (not likely with a GPS unless there are too many other things that have been added to that circuit). Be sure to put a properly sized fuse between the GPS and the power source.

Reactions: MLAZMAN and Tourer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the weekend is finally here so I can start tinkering and figuring it all out. I have found where the wiring has come out of the fairing and I'm trying to decide if I'd rather take the fairing apart or remove the tank to find where I can tap in for the harness. Garmin fortunately includes a lengthy harness that is already fused so it should be all ready to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was taking off the fairing mounting bolts and one of them is all stripped, argh. Looks like I'll need to drill it out and order some replacements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts