Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the kuryakyn constellation light bar as well as the relay kit with a switch. Having trouble figuring out the correct wiring. This light bar comes with replacement turn signals.

The problem is figuring out how to wire the turn signals. My husband thinks the only way to do it is to splice the wires together in order to make the turn signals function with the light bar.

Kuryakyn part #s
Constellation light bar 5001
Universal driving light wiring and relay kit with handlebar mounted switch 2202

Any electrical wiring gurus out there that can provide input? I REALLY don't want to have to pay a dealer an arm and a leg to install this light bar...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is a link for installation.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately we've already watched that video on CC. It doesn't really do any good to watch because the problem is figuring out which wires are the turn signals, and how they connect to the relay/wiring kit and light bar.

The video uses a completely different bike with wiring that doesn't even resemble the wiring we are messing with.

Neither one of us are good in the electrical/wiring dept, but fine at everything else. This is beyond frustrating... UGH.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry about that. I do understand wiring as I am an electronic technician. Did the kit come with any directions? Can you post a wiring diagram you got with the kit? I will be happy to instruct you but need to understand exactly what you have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did not see via the directions what the wiring harness looks like in the directions. The relay would only be to provide power to the running lights. Did you remove the old turn signals. You will have to splice the wires from the old to the new. The old signals had both running light power and turn signal power. Be sure you conect the correct wire or the light will always be on. Do you have a service manual? There is a wiring diagram in it. You husband is correct I do believe. You will have to splice. Let me know if you need the wiring diagram. With todays connectors it will not be hard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me /us out. I guess we really just needed someone with the right knowledge to say yeah, you're gonna have to splice.

What do you mean by connecting it right so that the turn signals act as both lights and signals? Is there something special that needs to be done after splicing the old to new?

If you have the ability to somehow provide the wiring diagram that would be awesome. I've been trying to track down a service manual to buy and I can't seem the find the right thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will send one tomorrow.
What I mean is the standard OEM front 900 signal lights have two power sources going to them. The bulbs have dual elements. One element is used for running lights and is always lit. The other element is for turn signal and the flasher relay provides power to them when you turn them on. There is a common ground between them. You just want to make sure to connect the turn signal wire and not the running light power. Do you have a volt meter? A constant 12 volts would indicate the running light power. Also on the new light bar do you know which wires are for the turn signals. Is that identified? I did not see that on the directions you sent. All I saw was the bar hardware installation and the relay wiring. No wiring diagram for the bar?

·
Registered
346 Posts
try to look around on google to see if you can fin a three pin female plug with lose wire hanging out. or look around ebay see if anyone selling a used front turn signal for cheat and you can just cut the wire out. these are the easy way out.

i can see where they have those plug, and also wont hurt to ask dealer if they sell those female plugs for after market signal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I will say POST a new thread with "FRONT TURN SIGNAL WANTED"
there are lots member here have left over pair for you to cut it.
so many people took their signal light out so i bet you will find a pair here cheap.
good luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mayorblurps, I'm curious as to how your project turned out. Got any pics? I am interested in purchasing the Kuryakyn Constellation Light Bar, but I not sure of fitment with my Memphis Slim windshield. Do you have a windshield on your bike also? If so, was any modification needed? What is your final assessment of the light bar? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts