Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a trailer for the v2k, now I need help knowing what I need to wire it in to my lights. The trailer is a 4 wire system. How do I go about wiring it.

Also, what is the best hitch. I'm tempted to go with the mchitch. It isn't hidden but is the receiver style and can be removed easily when not pulling trailer.

I got into the trailer plan as a group of us plans to make a couple long trips next summer and all will be 2 up so cargo space on the bike is limited. I figured the trailer would be helpful for all of us and I figured with the v2k, I could pull it the easiest.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

nate

·
Registered
553 Posts
http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/

This is the hitch I have. 2 bolts removes it when not in use and you don't know it's there.

Wiring... just bought a converter from local auto part store.
This converts separate turn signals/brake lights to trailer lights with no separate turn signals/brake lights. Instructions came with it. Was straight forward.

I pull a small utility trailer 2 up with camping gear a couple of times a year. You barely know it's back there.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I bought my hitch from McHitch. It's black and has a removable trailer ball bar. The bags come off, the hitch goes on those bolts and the bags go back on. Mine is not the hidden kind but it is so small in comparison that it is hardly noticeable.

I also got an isolator from them for the trailer lights. It is powered from the battery and the signal wires splice into your existing wire harness under the seat. This prevents an extra power drain on the existing tail light wires. Everything fit perfectly with no problems.

I am sure which ever one you pick will work out fine for you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Where does it bolt to. Does it bolt to the saddle bag bolts on the inside of the fender or somewhere else?
Yes, the entire hitch bolts with many bolts up in the fender. The same bolts that hold on the saddle bags.

The 2 bolts that I'm talking about are for the part that sticks out with the hitch ball on it. Once you remove those 2, the hitch ball part comes off and you don't see the rest of the hitch unless you bend down and look up in the fender.

I'll try to remember to post some pics this weekend if you like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I went ahead and bought the mchitch with the wiring harness and isolator. It is a four wire setup? CoolPig. Where did you splice into the wires and which ones did you splice into.

Nate

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
The harness from the tail light and turn signals comes up the inside of the rear fender on the right side, exits the rear fender under the drivers seat and goes to a plug/socket just in front of the fender on right side.

Yes it is a four wire setup and the wires to the plug will run in the same clips that the tail light/turn signal wires are in. A few Ty-raps don't hurt anything.

I used a tester to find each turn signal and brake light and then going by the directions in the isolator I spliced each wire into the corresponding wire at the harness. I stripped the insulation back and wrapped the wires from isolator around each one and soldered and heat shrunk each connection. Run the power wire for the isolator to the battery and you are done. Also attach the ground wire to the frame of the bike where the directions say and you are ready.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts